Music Hot Takes

A forum for the silly stuff. You want be goofy? Funny? Post up your favorite LOLcat? This is the place.
mimekiller
Standard Bearer
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Music Hot Takes

Postby mimekiller » Sat May 18, 2019 8:07 am

i bet dead and rotting 23 year old ian curtis would be thrilled at how his music is now associated with jc penney t shirts
Phoebe
Canned Helsing
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Music Hot Takes

Postby Phoebe » Fri May 24, 2019 7:48 am

Headed to JCPenney soon in hopes of finding this shirt.

My kid asks, cackling, why does this guy keep saying Put Your Middle Finger Up? The song/chorus in question is Queen's Crazy Little Thing Called Love. Kid gets to play Risk again today, looks like, even though he won yesterday.
akiva
Melancholy Camper

Postby akiva » Fri May 24, 2019 8:15 am

Black Flag is boring.
Reel on a repeating loop
El Jefe
Cleric Thief

Postby El Jefe » Fri May 24, 2019 11:59 am

Twenty-One Pilots' "Heathens" still sucks.
The PA Fat Dutchman Mk II
"Amish Shoo-Fly Pie Boogaloo"
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Fri May 24, 2019 12:38 pm

mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Fri May 31, 2019 5:23 pm

When Joy Division lead singer Ian Curtis killed himself in 1980, his band made the difficult decision to move forward without him. Their goal was to create music that was somehow even gayer than before. Enter New Order

PS:this is all out of love, been playing a lot of both lately haha
akiva
Melancholy Camper

Postby akiva » Fri May 31, 2019 7:33 pm

I don't get the love for Petty’s “Free Falling.” It’s boring as hell and the Jeff Lynne production is cheesy. I hate that song.
Reel on a repeating loop
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:21 pm

Cannot say that I hate it - not that invested - but it's definitely something I click on past when it arrives en radio, because I don't like the Thun Thun Thun Thun. You know what I mean. So boring.
mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:56 am

the beach boys were the best band because you knew exactly how much they loved going on vacation
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:30 am

Lizzo is the :tafkap: in today's musical world.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:07 am

All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Postby Eliahad » Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:23 pm

Beethoven's symphonies are the most overrated of his works, and the most overrated pieces of music in the entire classical ouvre.
"What are you going to do?"
"I'm going to roll an 8."
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:04 pm

Oooh hot take: Billie Eilish has a Kanye way of sounding cool, sound like a bragger, and sounding bored with everything all at the same time. I keep returning to "Gold Digger" refrain "go head girl get down" like it's like "yeah, do that, I deserve it, but also, yaaaaawn" like some kind of bad guy.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:56 pm

Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:57 pm

Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:49 pm

All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:25 am

I'll be dancing to Lizzo in the nursing home and my children will be like yes this was in fact the :tafkap: of our generation.
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:08 am

Janelle and Lizzo are prob my two fav artists working today so I feel qualified to answer this.

#1: Who has :tafkap: worked with? Both.

(Lizzo appears at 2:13)

#2: Body/sex positive? Both.
#3: Pride and success in performing multiple genres? Both
#3: Multi-instrumentalists: Neither, though Janelle knows at least some guitar and Lizzo is an all-star with the flute.
#4: A super producer: Neither (but obvs they have a say in their ace productions)
#5: Productive: Prince released 39 studio albums in 37 years. Janelle has made three in nine, Lizzo made three in six, so Lizzo has the advantage but both aren't even close to Prince's speed.
#6: Mentor to the future generation: Janelle has her own musical collective and imprint label, so she has the advantage, but she's also had a decade on the scene and Lizzo's a relative newbie.

But really, in the end, it's #2 and #3 that define the Prince musical aesthetic, and so... a tie. Or let's say if Most Like :tafkap: gets awarded yearly, this year it'd go to Lizzo, but if it's rewarded for the 2010s, it'd be Janelle.

Anyway, can't wait for THEIR inevitable collaboration
Last edited by poorpete on Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:21 am

It's just crazy both of Lizzo's top 10 hits in 2019 that were first released in 2017 and 2016. She recorded a great album this year, and the public was like, ok, that's nice, but check out your catalog! I can't think of anything similar.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:24 am

It's wild! Lady Gaga had a bit of that early on but not comparable to what happened with Lizzo in terms of chart-topping huge songs drawn from the reserves. For the Prince thing, I feel like Lizzo has the pop hits combined with songs like "Scuse Me" or "Cuz I Love You" that touch different slower sides we heard from Prince (the sensual and the pained), or joyful things like "My Skin" that transcend. Not that Janelle Monae doesn't have music like this, or the potential for it, but Lizzo has made them all ... catchy? I don't know, every song of hers just bites in and you don't forget the hooks, where that doesn't happen for me so much with Monae.

Return to “Nerd Babble”