What is something that you are "into" that you wish more people were "into"

A forum for the silly stuff. You want be goofy? Funny? Post up your favorite LOLcat? This is the place.
Ronster
Maverick's Wingman
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

What is something that you are "into" that you wish more people were "into"

Postby Ronster » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:10 pm

K-Pop
cursive writing
Fallout 4
M.E.R.P.
접근금지야 이젠 접근금지야
이젠 접근금지야 너가 사과하기 전까지
akiva
Melancholy Camper
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: What is something that you are "into" that you wish more people were "into"

Postby akiva » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:35 am

Jazz, especially my wife.
Wargaming.
Reel on a repeating loop
Ronster
Maverick's Wingman

Postby Ronster » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:03 am

접근금지야 이젠 접근금지야
이젠 접근금지야 너가 사과하기 전까지
akiva
Melancholy Camper

Postby akiva » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:20 am

Reel on a repeating loop
Ronster
Maverick's Wingman

Postby Ronster » Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:17 am

Do you use miniatures? I think those are sooo cool. I started painting my minis that came with my Talisman boardgame.
접근금지야 이젠 접근금지야
이젠 접근금지야 너가 사과하기 전까지
akiva
Melancholy Camper

Postby akiva » Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:32 am

Reel on a repeating loop
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:50 am

Board games in general.

I mean, most people like a good game, and I love introducing people to new stuff, but it would be nice to be able to haul out a bag of games at a gathering and not have to overcome people's reluctance and intimidation at trying new things every time. My beginner games get a lot of face time. My intermediate games, not so much. Anything complicated... almost never.
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
Ronster
Maverick's Wingman

Postby Ronster » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:31 am

접근금지야 이젠 접근금지야
이젠 접근금지야 너가 사과하기 전까지
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:35 am

Can we do the opposite? I wish people were way less into almonds and especially almond milk and almond oil and almond extract. There's nothing the almond flavor does that citrus or vanilla can't do better; there's nothing the oil does that avocado or olive or sunflower or coconut or any number of other oils can't do better; there's nothing the milk does that soy or cashew can't do better. Meanwhile it's a really expensive and environmentally taxing thing to grow. Almonds suck.

So if we want to put a positive spin on this I guess I wish people were more into soy milk, citrus and vanilla flavorings, and coconut oil.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:20 pm

All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:52 pm

I would think cinnamon too? Anyway, I wish people were more into hand washing.

I also wish they would stop saying that buying enough supplies for two weeks is OCD behavior. The buying of extra supplies (not wild hoarding of things that healthcare professionals need - just extra supplies) is one of the most pleasantly pro-social things we can do right now, so as not to share our germs with the whole world by going to the grocery store every two days. It is so *#$(&(($( annoying as #-($+@ that in a world where people are offended by all kinds of words like "crazy", which has a long history of meaning totally different things besides mental illness, somehow it's okay to say nonsense about OCD and ALSO to judge the supposed OCD behavior negatively. Ugh I'm glad these people don't have to know; wish they realized their luck. If you think OCD responses to coronavirus involve normal procurement of an extra toilet paper roll, then you probably don't really know anything about OCD.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:59 am

Ok, here's a better answer than I have been offering: Opera. And classical music generally. I wish more people were into operas so that there was no risk of this art form dying out or continuing to evolve. I wish the symphony near me was financially rolling in the black (green?) because everybody wanted seats for those performances. They do a pretty good job but if a lot of people were more into it? The whole art form would be thriving and supported.
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:31 am

Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:18 pm

Not really into opera. But we are looking to get a subscription to the upcoming season of our local symphony orchestra.
Wash: "This is gonna get pretty interesting."
Mal: "Define interesting."
Wash: "Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die?"
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:17 pm

Cargo shorts. Seriously, when did those become a fashion no-no even for men?! For myself, of course, cargo shorts are structured too much like pants and I'm never wearing pants again when I don't have to, but I think they are cute for guys. Especially cutoff cargo shorts. Don't know what's up with that but it's a look I enjoy.

Also: tiny scissors that don't suck! Why is it so hard to find a decent example? I've had a good one since about 1988 that has gone missing somewhere in this house. Like gold and irreplaceable.

Plaid - like for wool carpets, bras (not for teenagers but normal matronly sizes!), tablecloths, everything. We cannot get enough plaids.
FlameBlade
Orange Troubleshooter

Postby FlameBlade » Wed May 27, 2020 9:21 pm

Deaf theater. Too bad with coronavirus, the whole scene is dormant, but I think y'all should take time to watch one, and it will be a completely different experience.
Heracles. Fists. Pantheon.

Clue in ancient Greece.
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Thu May 28, 2020 11:10 am

FlameBlade
Orange Troubleshooter

Postby FlameBlade » Thu May 28, 2020 12:08 pm

Ah, excellent questions!

Generally, deaf theater will have interpreters who have rehearsed with actors, and working with microphone, either on stage as extras, or off the side, perhaps balcony.

As for deaf actors, they are generally trained to make sure that their body can be visible to the audience, meaning, body can be turned slightly, but made it clear that their lines are directed at other characters, but the lines are always open to the audience. Also, signs need to be larger so even an elderly deaf gentleman (or lady) with really thick glasses who insists sitting in the back row can see it clearly. There are frequently clever ways of getting messages across even if there are supposed to be some kind of voiceover, such as project messages against the background.

Clue in ancient Greece.
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Thu May 28, 2020 1:09 pm

FlameBlade
Orange Troubleshooter

Postby FlameBlade » Thu May 28, 2020 2:42 pm

Correct, but lately, videos have been proliferating by many user-generated contents, such as tiktok, which are pretty much inaccessible for us, because they are generally not captioned. Many videos are auto-generated captions, which meant a lot of errors, especially if some vocab gets weird.

Clue in ancient Greece.

Return to “Nerd Babble”