Adventures in Car Buying

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Mike
Boy of Summer

Adventures in Car Buying

Postby Mike » Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:36 pm

My old car got hit while sitting on the street in front of my house. It was 10 years old. Before it got hit: cracked windshield, no A/C, hail damage, salvage title. Book value: $2400 IF it wasn't on a salvage title already. Insurance payout: $4700. That means I'm getting me a new car.

So I found a deal online that seemed too good to be true. A 2013 Ford Fusion with all the cool toys in it I want. Certified clean Carfax report and only 1 previous owner. Being offered for $1500 under book value. It's two hours away in Lincoln. No problem.

Lisa and I both took the day off work today. Took it for a test drive. Drove it over to a friend (my wife's sister-in-law's brother-in-law) who runs a body shop. He spent some time with it and showed us a couple little cosmetic flaws, but otherwise pronounced it clean and a pretty good deal. Awesome.

The loan was supposed to have been pre-approved, but somehow it took 3 hours to get it all sorted out. 3 hours. Oh well. Aidan was with us and we had an awesome lunch while we waited. BUT because the loan took so goddam long, we DIDN'T beat the weather. Vehicles were literally falling off the interstate and rolling down the embankment. We saw one on the way to an airport hotel where we are now staying the night.

Luckily, everyone is safe. Grandparents are taking care of the younger boys. Now we just have to wait out the ice and snow. I think I'm gonna go get some McDonalds and dream about my new car.

All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Adventures in Car Buying

Postby Tahlvin » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:14 pm

Congrats on the new (to you) car! Hopefully it doesn't take too long for the snow to stop for you guys. It's supposed to keep snowing from this afternoon through Sunday morning hereabouts.
Wash: "This is gonna get pretty interesting."
Mal: "Define interesting."
Wash: "Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die?"
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:39 pm

Hey- I'm just happy you made the smart decision to stay in a hotel for the night. I know enough hardheads that would have tried to make it home anyways and risk the weather. Good call. Enjoy the new ride!
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:18 pm

SWEET COME TO MY HOUSE UNCLES THREE PETER MIKE RAY ARE HERE RIGHT NOW FUCK YOU HVAE TO COME OVRE!!!!!!!
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:51 pm

All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.

Return to “Nerd Talk”