Democrats

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Democrats

Postby Phoebe » Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:53 pm

I would agree with you on this for Klobuchar, and I think you're right that people would try something like this against Harris. I just don't think attacking a good prosecutor on shaky grounds is an effective hit - certainly not with moderates who generally like prosecutors. Among progressives, it wasn't primarily black voters who had a problem with her record; it was Bernie people and other progressives who saw her as a moderate more-of-the-same, and so they made up a bunch of b******* like that she went easy on Mnuchin for campaign donations. They said that she was harassing parents for truancy except that they can't produce much evidence of any real parents who were harassed by her because of truancy. So I'm not worried about it unless something newly troubling came out. I think Biden gains more votes with her than he would lose. But I also kind of prefer Val Demings, from the little I know! What do you think of her?
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:37 pm

As usual a female politician is being attacked for their ambition.

Guess who is ambitious? Every politician.

Guess who is so full of themselves they think they'd make a great president? Anyone who has ever run for president.
Stan
Ninja Carpenter
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Stan » Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:51 pm

Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Postby Eliahad » Sun Aug 02, 2020 10:38 am

Dear House Speaker Pelosi,

Keep working on getting the electorate more stimulus. Please STOP commenting on advisers and the white house and let them drive themselves off the cliff. You don't need to push, you might get something caught on the clown car as it goes.

Thank you.
"What are you going to do?"
"I'm going to roll an 8."
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:27 am

All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:40 am

Rope-a-dope is a lesson she should have learned from Obama a long time ago. If Obama had been running against Trump he would have destroyed him utterly.
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:53 am

If it's Harris (big "if" but it'd be very significant if it's not), I think the last time a VP pick was this obvious was when it was Kerry/Edwards (and even Fox News was sure it was Gephardt).

It's interesting that VP picks are often very dull, and it's often a cautionary tale when they aren't. Seems the goal isn't to excite the base, like Palin, but assure/lull the base, like Pence.
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:43 pm

Harris it is.
Wash: "This is gonna get pretty interesting."
Mal: "Define interesting."
Wash: "Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die?"
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:49 pm

Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:10 pm

Harris is a good pick. I don't like Joe Biden but I'm going to vote for him and hold my nose. I like Harris over the other candidates because I think she gets him elected. I'd prefer someone more progressive, but this is a good pick to make sure Trump doesn't win a second term. Which is the goal.

I'm already seeing the liberals on Facebook grousing and talking about how they're not going to vote because he didn't take Warren. To which I say, "Shut up. You're not fooling anyone. You'll vote Biden."
Stan
Ninja Carpenter

Postby Stan » Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:32 pm

Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:49 pm

The things that convinced me to vote Biden were two factors: (1) Texas is a swing state now; and (2) it's about the additional lives that will be lost if Trump wins-- he's mismanaged the COVID crisis so bad that I think tens of thousands of more people will die if he's elected over Biden. So that made my decision. I can't stand on principle at the expense of thousands of lives.
FlameBlade
Orange Troubleshooter

Postby FlameBlade » Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:48 pm

Main point is, we are more likely to push Biden to do better than we are to push Trump to do better.
Heracles. Fists. Pantheon.

Clue in ancient Greece.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:37 am

poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:31 am

Seems no matter what Republicans say about Harris, they're going to be tarred as racist. They can't ask simple questions like:

Does her Jamaican and Indian parents disqualify her?
Is she really American?
Is she really Black?
Is she ashamed of being Indian?
Are her beliefs based on a Kenyan worldview?
Will she punish white people?

I mean, if they can't ask these questions, what questions can they ask?

:sarcasm: :sarcasm: :sarcasm: :sarcasm: :sarcasm: :sarcasm: :sarcasm:
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:09 am

I know what you mean. It's almost like she wants to be Black when it's convenient in one situation and Indian when it's convenient in another, but she's not even really black because as we all know, Jamaican people are not black. Oh? You say they are? Well they're not African, and definitely not African American, so she can't count herself as black even though that's the only reason Biden picked her. And the only reason she is a senator today is because she slept her way to the top! These are all real things that Republicans I know are saying! Also - and this almost goes without saying but they're saying it anyway - even though she's a gun owner herself, she definitely wants to take away all of our guns. I'm not really sure how it works to sleep to the top in this situation: is it that, first, she had to sleep with the majority of California voters in order to be elected Atty General, and then several years later she had to sleep with all the ones she didn't sleep with the first time around so that she could be elected senator? Nobody is explaining the details but obviously there's no other way that a woman could get to the top, so... LOCK HER UP! She should get a really expensive nice bottle of champagne ready for the first time this happens - you know you've really made it when you get a whole rally of drooling imbeciles to scream for your imprisonment for no reason.
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:12 pm

I really wish we could get an explanation on all this from Ben Shapiro, but he's busy tackling the wet-ass-pussy-scourge of 2020.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:25 am

I don't know what this means and I'm not sure I want to. However, I have actually been enjoying the convention! Enjoyed the speeches from Michelle and Jill - didn't see any of the others but wasn't really interested. Actually enjoyed the roll call from the states, and have enjoyed the slick infomercial feel of the whole thing, relative to past conventions where we did a lot of watching people mill around while hearing idiotic commentary from TV announcers, and listening to endless cheering and applause. This is like the mild mannered introvert version of a convention and I like it.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:38 am

Really wish larger numbers of Democrats were not so keen on pushing pro-lifers clean out of the party. I encounter a number of young people who are fairly vigorously pro-life but also believe in things like protecting against further impacts of climate change, not being racist assholes, and so forth. But they feel like there is no space for them among Democrats, and even though Biden is a lifelong Catholic who could speak to the difficulties of having personal feelings one way and feelings about what is best for law and politics in another direction, he could never get away with talking about that in today's party. Just to be clear, I think these young people actually will vote for Biden, but the problem is that long-term they identify as Republican and will continue to do that as soon as there is a person they feel better about than Trump. I really don't think you can vote for Trump and not be a racist; I felt that a long time ago and maybe it was premature and overly judgy of people, but at this point you just can't vote for him and not be a racist and I really don't care whose mom it is. Speaking of moms I should add the between my mom and I we have covered all the people in my family and my husband's family who are voting for Trump, to see if they are persuadable and if in fact they are racist, and I'm here to tell you that they are in fact racist and now finally just come right on out and say things that prove it. These are people who still pretend they're not racist, but Trump has so emboldened them to say racist s*** that they don't even recognize it anymore.
FlameBlade
Orange Troubleshooter

Postby FlameBlade » Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:27 pm

Stop. Bringing. Knives. To. A. Knife. Fight. When. You. Know. Your. Opponents. Are. Bringing. Tanks.
Heracles. Fists. Pantheon.

Clue in ancient Greece.

Return to “Nerd Talk”