Democrats

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Re: Democrats

Postby Mike » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:15 am

All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:45 am

akiva
Melancholy Camper
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby akiva » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:25 am

Reel on a repeating loop
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:34 am

buckett
Orange Troubleshooter
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby buckett » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:37 pm

Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:54 pm

I would have used Steve King as an example. But from Ronster's point of view, look at how much bending over backwards the Democrats did to cover up and ignore Hillary's crimes.
FlameBlade
Orange Troubleshooter

Postby FlameBlade » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:36 pm

To be fair, Hillary sat there for 11 hours in front of congress, and they couldn't get anything to stick. That's while Hillary was running.

There have been tons of investigations, and nothing stuck. Is that sheer incompetence on GOP's part?
Heracles. Fists. Pantheon.

Clue in ancient Greece.
mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:31 pm

Many on the Left want to see a woman, or even a woman of color lead the Democratic ticket in 2020. Consider this though; Beto, actually, from a social and economic standpoint, has lived as a woman of color for much of his life. Harassment by law enforcement, etc.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:51 am

Speaking of which, smear tactics being used against some of the women candidates are ridiculous, and we simply do not see those things used against men (a lot of parallel past history to use as a basis for judgment here). Men in interracial marriages (McConnell, and more...) aren't being questioned about whether it was done for political advancement*; unmarried men who dated and even slept with women aren't attacked for this or accused of doing it to "get ahead"; former prosecutors (Kerry, and more...) aren't being attacked for cases where the state had to defend a position that was at odds with the candidate's own long-standing declared position; men who are demanding bosses similar to what you'd find in a law firm are not attacked as impossible commanders-in-chief (too many examples to list); men who had an alcoholic parent are praised for surviving the difficult childhood rather than considered somehow suspect for it. Tiresome. But then, this is 2019, when bald-faced racism from the President is applauded by his supporters.

* the only exception I can think of is Obama, who was accused as a multiracial man of marrying a black woman to improve his credibility among black voters. I... I don't even know what to say about that, but yeah, I think this exception kind of further proves the rule.
mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:15 pm

mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:24 pm

The saddest part of the Dem primary is all these dorks trying to be hip when Bernie, a like 80 year old dude, is the most likable and relatable.
FlameBlade
Orange Troubleshooter

Postby FlameBlade » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:54 pm

Heracles. Fists. Pantheon.

Clue in ancient Greece.
mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:55 pm

wow the media hates women? Maybe Trump is right about those guys, sounds like a pack of rascals.
Ronster
Maverick's Wingman

Postby Ronster » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:37 am

Media: Never again will there be a candidate as polarizing or extreme as Trump

Dems: Hold my beer
접근금지야 이젠 접근금지야
이젠 접근금지야 너가 사과하기 전까지
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:08 am

70% of Americans support some form of Medicare for all, even if it's just the public option that allows buy-in for anyone who wants it. This includes a majority of Republicans.

75% of Americans support significant tax increases on the rich. This includes a majority of Republicans.

70% of Americans believe that climate change is real.
57% of them think it is man-made.
66% think it is a serious issue that needs immediate action.

75% of Ameicans support massive government investment in infrastructure--including a majority of both parties, but more Republicans than Democrats.

About half of all Americans support a federal jobs guarantee.

If you saw these sorts of numbers in a democracy, what sort of actions would you expect a representative government to take? What do you think would be an appropriate justifacation for NOT following the will of the people? (Because there CAN be good reasons.)

Everything above is rolled up in some way in the Green New Deal that most of the Dem hopefuls want to sign on to but none of them want to be too specific about yet.

Seems to me that championing things that most people agree on is a pretty good strategy. But of course, if anyone can blow a winning hand, it's the Democrats.
mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:28 pm

I hope a Dem president actually does declare a national emergency on gun violence so the civil war can finally begin. We need to split.
bralbovsky
Twisted Sister

Postby bralbovsky » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:37 pm

Exceedingly unlikely. Though nothing is impossible.
There are fundamental differences, despite the whole starbucks, coffee is coffee whether it's white or black attitude.

I submit that in the main, their difficulty with unity and direction is reflective of an attachment to reality. Everyone on this board experiences a different reality, which causes us to order our priorities differently. Makes debates messy and leadership challenging.
15$ minimum wage is going to kill my local diner.
Having said that, there needs to be something done for full time employees who still qualify for food stamps.
Ignoring all them because they're all poor, has been a failing strategy.

FDR was not entirely a good president. He was cagey and deceptive, but he had a decent idea about the big picture. Oh, and he broke all kinds of rules to inter thousands of innocent Japanese Americans. Not good.

But...and this is the qualitative difference that remains today...he wasn't anywhere near the final solution. Ya, they both involved camps, and many other similarities, but the nazis had a much different end game in mind. Politicians are politicians, but my personal experience with lots of them, and my public observation of even more, demonstrates that the republican party has had a permanent psychotic level break with reality. They equate things that are in no way equal. They give the grifter in chief a carte blanche pass. They justify clearly unhealthy choices regarding the environment and brown people's children, that resemble not even faintly, the worst impulses present in the other party.

They, as a body, do not care who dies. Look at health care, look at law enforcement, look at immigration, look at foreign policy....This is fundamentally and existentially more evil than any reallocation of wealth (which will likely never be as dramatic as economic rules suggest it needs to be) however close to theft it might approach. Even worse than collecting guns.
"Before enlightenment, you chop the wood and carry the water.
After enlightenment, you chop the wood and carry the water."
mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:31 am

what a bizarre wild card in what I'm sure is going to be a increasingly bizarre election.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... 93ba5ebc32
buckett
Orange Troubleshooter

Postby buckett » Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:18 pm

Have to respect Howard Schultz for running his campaign exclusively on the platform that he personally keeps all his money. What an asshole.
mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:58 pm

Tulsi Train. Bernie Bus. Beto Balloon. All three are accepting passengers to take us forward, and possibly slowly upward.

Return to “Nerd Talk”