Podcasts Podcasts Podcasts

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Podcasts Podcasts Podcasts

Postby poorpete » Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:40 pm

Heard a great podcast? Give an episode and link and tell why we should listen.

Podcast: Hang Up and Listen
Episode: Extra - Muhammad Ali

An engaging interview with Robert Lipsyte who travelled with Ali from his first big victory to his last few months. I had enormous respect for Ali but never got how he was the GOAT, now I get his heroes journey. Great stories and insights within.
http://www.slate.com/articles/sports/sp ... sense.html
Mike
Boy of Summer

Re: Podcasts Podcasts Podcasts

Postby Mike » Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:16 pm

The Moth podcast.

Episode: , released Jun 7, 2016.

All four stories are good. It is rare to get a bad story from The Moth, but the last two from this episode are spectacular. I was sprouting tears by the end of the last one. Really well done.
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:22 pm

And while we're on The Moth, the April 26th episode from this year, is the single most entertaining story (IMO) from The Moth.
Riggah
Puppet Accout
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Riggah » Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:08 pm

Current list:
99% Invisible
Back to Work
Dr. Homebrew
Classical Classroom
Clockwise
Dragon Talk
FiveThirtyEight Elections
Langsam gesprochene Nachrichten
Men in Blazers
Partially Examined Life
Risky Business
Slate Political Gabfest
Sword and Laser
The Jamil Show
Tim Ferriss Show
AVexcel
Basic Brewing Radio
BeerSmith
Brew Strong
Hardcore History
EarzUp!
Experimental Brewing
Face the Nation Diary
Fuhmentaboudit!
Invisibilia
KARTAS
Lore
Meditation in the City
Rationally Speaking
Sour Hour
Total Party Kill
We Have Concerns
Welcome to Night Vale
You Are Not So Smart
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:28 pm

Riggah, please. You're missing one.

And welcome back.
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:04 am

In the last month I've been obsessed with Doughboys, which is fantastic funny. If you are at all a fan of comedy podcasts, especially the LA improv/sketch comedy scene, pretty sure you'll love this.

http://www.feralaudio.com/show/doughboys/

Latest show is with improv podcast superhero Lauren Lapkus about Pinkberry, with a lot of lol moments throughout, but I suggest you look through their archive and pick out either a restaurant you want to hear them joke about or a guest you recognize. My favorite shows include the recent Jolibee with Jonah Ray and Wendy's with Paul Rust, but there are a ton of ace shows.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:22 am

I'm in. Thank you, Pete.
Cazmonster
Silent but Deadly
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Cazmonster » Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:40 pm

Starting in on Doughboys with the episode on Popeye's Chicken.

Holy Crap - Ghoulies and Exorcist to kick this off. These people are eclectic. "MILK WAS A BAD CHOICE!"

===========================================================

Well crap. I held on for 45 minutes and there was no talk of Popeye's. I don't know that I can deal with a two hour podcast that sounds a lot like morning radio.
"...somewhat less attractive now that she's all corpsified and gross."
mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:17 pm

PHIL HENDRIE PODCAST FOR LIFE!

Also I was deleted? This place looks brand new, :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:47 pm

Yeah, I tried Doughboys, but it's in the category of comedians-talking-to-comedians. It's very funny, but not substantive enough.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:50 pm

And yes... new forums. All old accounts had to be recreated.
bralbovsky
Twisted Sister

Postby bralbovsky » Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:13 pm

My favorite moth of all is this one from a long time ago:
"Before enlightenment, you chop the wood and carry the water.
After enlightenment, you chop the wood and carry the water."
Cazmonster
Silent but Deadly

Postby Cazmonster » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:16 pm

I have The Moth marked on my pocketmod. There's a lot of stuff written there to do. I should put The Moth near the top.
DMDarcs
No-Life Loser

Postby DMDarcs » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:01 pm

Here's everything on my list with a few notes on some that may not be as well known/mentioned. Put in alphabetical order.

99% Invisible
All Games Considered
All Songs Considered - Their recent episode on worst song every had me cracking up. It also made me come to the realization that I like a lot of horrible music.
Ask Me Another
Best Radio You Have Never Heard
The Black Tapes
The Cracked Podcast
Dan Carlin's Hardcore History
Drive to Work - A Magic: the Gathering podcast put out by Mark Rosewater. It's mostly behind the scenes work about card design, and can be quite fascinating.
Gilbert Goddfried's Amazing Colossal Podcast
The Higherside Chats
How To Do Everything - Almost regularly cracks me up.
Limited Resources - Another Magic: the Gathering podcast, though this one comes the point of view of players and is primarily focused on drafting.
Lore
Me.Like.Trivia
Myths and Legends
Nerd Pride Radio
Nerdist
Radiolab
Snap Judgment
Song Exploder
Tanis
TED Radio Hour - I've been thinking of unsubscribing for quite some time as it just doesn't seem interesting anymore.
This Week in Marvel
Unpopular Opinion
Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me
You Are Not So Smart - This is one is new to me, and I've only listened to one episode so far. Verdict is still out.
Cazmonster
Silent but Deadly

Postby Cazmonster » Thu Jun 30, 2016 8:02 pm

Okay - it's a youtube show, not a podcast, but the Hot Ones interviews from First We Feast are a great time.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPD_bx ... Qcbe2kpPaA
Mrs.Darcs
This. Is. SPARTA!

Postby Mrs.Darcs » Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:02 pm

ok, sooooo my list is probably um...gonna make you question my sanity, or really worry about Darcs' safety but here they are (I like dark stuff):

Comedy/Nerdy Stuff:
Nerd Pride Radio *
Me Like Trivia *
Angry Geeks Vs.
Car Talk

Story Telling Non Fiction:
You Must Remember This
Embedded
Criminal
Modern Love
Snap Judgement (ok, sometimes Fiction comes in here too)
Gilbert Gottfried's Amazing Colossal Podcast

Story Telling Fiction:
The Black Tapes * (I'm sorry guys, Season two needs more Richard)
Tanis*
The Truth
Small Town Horror
Limetown
The No Sleep Podcast

Folktales etc:
Lore*
Myths and Legends*

True Crime:
Serial (ok, so this could be story telling, I'm not sure.)
My Favorite Murder*
Sword and Scale* (do NOT Listen to episode 20, or probably the Jonestown episode, trust me, I did, you can NOT unhear that)
Someone Knows Something
Break Down (season 2 is tough for parents)
Crime Writers On*
Undisclosed
Truth and Justice (formerly Serial Dynasty)
Serial Serial (not in love with this one)
Bowraville
True Murder
Untold: The Daniel Morgan Murder
Unsolved Murders: True Crime Stories
All Killa no Filla
Last Podcast on the Left (This one is in VERY poor taste, they used the R word, and one is a very angry atheist, but I can't seem to stop listening, and I feel dirty every time)

*indicates my favorites, they always go to the front of the queue when they drop.
Last edited by Mrs.Darcs on Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Power and Ripp forever

RIP Sam and Thor forever!
Ronster
Maverick's Wingman

Postby Ronster » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:25 am

Nightmare Magazine - - Horror short stories with one of the best readers I have ever heard! (Stefan Rudnicki)- Reaper's Rose was the first episode I heard and the one I love most.

Your Weird A podcast about everyone's different odd behaviors without getting too psycho-analytical. Great hosts. Best episode is "Tim's Movies"

The Dice Tower A podcast about board, card, dice, and RPG games and the people who play them...excellent hosts and some great stories too "Tales of Board-gaming Horror" "Tales of Amazement" and a top ten countdown for the specific category at the end of each show. Every episode is good...except that I am not a fan of the "Live from ________Con" titles that come out occasionally.

Stuff You Missed In History A nice change to listen to two ladies talking about historical people places and things that you may never have heard of. I just listened to 'The Archaemenid Empire" episode and I am betting Mike will want to listen to the "The discovery of 'Planet' Ceres" episode

The Allusionist British Ladies voice...If you need more than that, It is about grammar and the English language." Mountweazel" is one of my favorite episodes, but there are no bad ones.

ARTC's Podcast The Atlanta Radio Theater Company podcast does old style radio theater performances of classic novels, etc. Fully dramatized, fully sound-scaped audio-drama. My favorite episode is their retelling of "The Call of Cthulhu"

Game of Drones A podcast to bore you to sleep. No, really, that is the goal. It is a rambling podcast about all sorts of things from Game of Thrones, the TV series.

Trek.FM podcasts
Saturday Morning Trek A podcast where they discuss the animated Star Trek show. favorite episode "So You Think You Got Tribbles"
but wait, there's more....TREK.FM creates a lot of podcasts centered on the world of Star Trek and even one on that Star Wars flash-in-the-pan movie.
The Ready Room, To The Journey, Continuing Mission, Hyperchannel, Earl Grey, Meta Treks, Standard Orbit, Literary Treks, Melodic Treks, Stage Nine, Warp Five, The Orb, Commentary:Trek Stars, Matter Stream:Science Creativity, and the world, Captain's Log, Deck Eight, Mission Log,Women at Warp, Star Trek Behind The Scenes With Larry Nemecek, Star Wars: A 602 Club Collection something for everyone there!

Douglas and Dragons: An actual play Pathfinder podcast This is my only contact with Pathfinder in actual play...other than at DragonCon
접근금지야 이젠 접근금지야
이젠 접근금지야 너가 사과하기 전까지
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:06 am

Was happy to find another Doughboy fan in real life, understandable that it might not be top-listening for most people. :-)

I'm a Slate Plus member and have been really enjoying their Dear Prudence podcast. It's funny, debatey, produced well, and the host is great. It's been behind the firewall for a few months, but now it's available for public consumption!

http://www.slate.com/articles/podcasts/ ... dence.html

Start with "Secret Nudity Treehouse" to see if you like it:
http://www.slate.com/articles/podcasts/ ... ition.html
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:34 am

Okay, harvesting the last few posts for new stuff to try. Surprisingly, pretty much everything on SB's list (except for the true crime stuff) are ones I listen to now or have listened to in the past.

Newly added: Nightmare Magazine, Dice Tower, ARTC, Caffeinated Comics (recommended on Angry Geeks VS), and The Allusionist. I know I've listened to The Allusionist before, but I don't remember anything about it. I'll give it another shot. The host of Allusionist is Helen Saltzman. Her brother Andy was half of The Bugle podcast with John Oliver before John went all famous. Andy is also a big fan of wordplay.
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:41 am

You are pretty keen on Andy's wordplay. It's like you Ex-zalts-man.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxiAe3ULuxI

Return to “Nerd Talk”