Good Feminist

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Good Feminist

Postby Phoebe » Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:18 pm

Or maybe they think she should be in jail where she belongs?
Phoebe
Canned Helsing
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Phoebe » Wed May 15, 2019 6:42 pm

Pat Robertson apparently thinks the new Alabama abortion law goes too far! Too far, LOL!!!! Who knew he had a too far in him? Wow. It's like a snake wrapped around and put its tail in its mouth there.

I don't really know how to explain to my children what is going on there. I wanted to say a bunch of other sarcastic things but I'm going to suppress them because I'm not in a happy mood.
mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Thu May 16, 2019 3:47 pm

Well if you listen to the entire audio clip he's more worried from a strategic point of view that if a law that extreme goes to the supreme court it will get thrown out and maybe that's what its a test for. Go all in knowing you can come back to the card table with a better hand next time.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Fri May 17, 2019 6:50 pm

Ok that makes sense. Didn't know there was any audio clip much less a longer one. Personally I think it's kind of nice when they go all the way in for moral consistency. If you honestly think that a baby in the earliest possible stages of development is a fully autonomous human of the same exact value as already-born babies or later-stage babies still not yet born, then you absolutely should see it is equivalent to genocide and you should be willing to act like it. But since that's bs and obviously ridiculous, nobody is willing to act like that. If you think a law like that's a good idea, you should be out there crying outside of abortion clinics bearing witness to the horrifying genocide, or worse. But we all know that if we had the choice between saving a real-life child or saving a petri dish fetus from a fire or tornado or something, every single one of us every goddamn time would pick the live child. So... could be that something is off in the moral reasoning process and laws like this bring the festering nonsense to the surface where it can be examined.
mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:12 pm

One of the weirdest things in that Max Landis article is how he'd amass this huge crew of friends and beautiful girls who wanted to play Nerf ball battles.

What the fuck is that?
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:55 pm

Who is that? ??
mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:40 pm

Son of Jon Landis, famous director that killed a couple of kids, and it turns out that's not the worst thing he's ever done! His son Max is a mediocre writer with some hits and a lot of bombs under his belt. AND Max has been fucking and abusing the big eyed waif like girls that pour into LA by the thousands getting off at the bus stop with hopes and dreams of being the next big thing and next thing they know some dude with rainbow hair is choking them out! Not good!

And of course since he's working in the most perverted city in the world he's been long protected but time might be running out for young Max, and of COURSE he's been a SUPER FEMINIST online making sure everyone knows how progressive he is, the biggest perverts of them all!

https://www.thedailybeast.com/max-landi ... ple-to-him

https://slate.com/culture/2019/06/max-l ... is-ck.html

https://www.themarysue.com/max-landis-f ... legations/
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:35 am

I didn't hear Trump's reaction to the latest sexual assault allegation, because at this point obviously nobody is going to do a thing about it no matter what, so why give him attention on the matter? However, I later learned that his reaction was, "she's not my type", at which point it became a depressing near-certainty that this woman is telling the truth. If I'm not mistaken he's had that reaction to other allegations as well. It's like the Republicans were SO mad about Bill Clinton that they needed one of those 'hold my beer' moments, and now here we are. Monday. Monday morning and hoping so many people vote, SO many, or we are screwed.
mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:32 pm

Turns out the real mystery is child fucking

http://nymag.com/nymetro/news/people/n_7912/
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:02 pm

The person who wrote that article must have known something because there are so many gems. The scariest is maybe this one:
"an added bonus, Kevin Spacey, a close friend of Clinton’s, and actor Chris Tucker came along for the ride"
There was another one about Clinton feeling the love from South Africa to Lagos or something. Grotesque but probably accurate.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:01 pm

So-called Gender Critical feminists have jumped off the edge together and it's beyond fathoming what went wrong with them, as a group. They started out with a couple of important insights and a couple of important grievances, and somehow have ended in league with the neo-nazis, spouting nonsense left and right and center and unable to grasp physical empirical realities. My eyebrows are up here like... When is it safe to return?
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:11 am

It's still not safe. These people are raving mad and their influence is shockingly outsized for the quality of their work. I am particularly mad because they are bullying a young professional who had the audacity to criticize their work. It makes me want to gird my withers and toss words in that direction, but note the already existing state of 5 hours sleep per night.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:06 pm

I have discovered that these two words, "radical feminists", now mean something radically different than they did for most of my life! I am shocked and outraged on behalf of (actual) radical feminists.
mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:02 pm

Radical feminism in 2019 means you wrote a sternly written tweet to Mcdonalds condemning gender stereotypes in happy meal toys
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:51 pm

It's more like, "we know that women are women only after conducting extensive tests to see what kind of gametes they're secreting, so in effect almost no one has been verified, and if you're a butch lesbian who gets kicked out of a bathroom by some petty tyrant because of this, too bad - policing you out of the ladies' room was a sacrifice to the greater good. To support this view we will now go in league with actual neonazis and gay-hating, conversion therapy promoting Christians, because where's the harm in that? Also, we are totally accepting of trans people except when we need to mock trans women for being manly, which we do in the name of Civility and Science."

My eyebrows are raised so often it's like a full cardio workout from reading this stuff. Radical feminism used to mean sisters going off and doing it for themselves because patriarchy bad!
mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:34 pm

If Ted Bundy were actively killing people today he’d be wearing novelty socks with dinosaurs on them and a crisp button up with a tiny pineapple pineapple print, he’d probably say stuff like “I’m a male feminist”
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:11 am

I would wear novelty socks and a pineapple print shirt?
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:30 pm

Oh wow, now we have a self-proclaimed "feminist" defending the idea that surprise ptsd or anxiety triggers can be therapeutically beneficial. I'm just so tired of living - as a medium-level dum-dum - among champion-level dum-dums who are taken so seriously. Facts don't care about your feelings, dum dums. In this case it means we possess facts about human psychology that stand contrary to your prissy feeling that trigger warnings suck. But if you would just come out and bite the bullet that says "I don't care if other people suffer; I'll say whatever I please whenever I please", at least we would have a consistent position to deal with and wouldn't have to call you a dum-dum. Then you'd be some sort of mean and cruel person, but why hide your light? Or maybe you could offer evidence that casual and informal requests for polite content warnings are in fact becoming an imposition that does disrupt free speech and cannot be refused without inappropriate consequences? Then we would have new facts to deal with! I would even listen to those facts with great interest! But there are no such facts forthcoming, and you want everybody to think you're so nice, so... dum dum it is.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:38 pm

Names or links or specifics would be helpful.
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:30 pm

I see what you mean. I am uncertain how to proceed, as it's a specific person talking a lot on the internets as opposed to a published piece, and I feel some qualms about calling out things in this gray area of public comment when they're not "official words", you know? I mention it here because precisely the same thing came up a while back when we were discussing trigger warnings, and an article appeared observing that overcoming PTSD and anxiety requires exposure to stressors. Part of my frustration is that people here had a far better and more nuanced discussion than so-called "experts" who should know more about it. I feel like one of those hermit crabs that tests the possibility of making a break for a new shell but quickly scuttles back into the old one. Bad waters out there.

Return to “Nerd Talk”