Guns

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
Bonefish
Harvard Dropout
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Guns

Postby Bonefish » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:07 am

Obama actually expanded some gun rights, amusingly enough.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Phoebe » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:27 am

Thanks, Obama. I remember that long-distant time before Hillary when we were able to blame him, but then Hillary rose up to greedily seize all the wrongdoing for herself.
mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Mon Dec 24, 2018 7:40 am

people buy things with credit cards. Good scoop.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/201 ... cards.html
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:52 am

All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:11 am

Thinking even harder on this subject It struck me that the spree shooters don't even plan on paying off the balance of the credit cards, very shameful behavior.
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:46 am

Wash: "This is gonna get pretty interesting."
Mal: "Define interesting."
Wash: "Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die?"
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:39 am

Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:59 am

Wash: "This is gonna get pretty interesting."
Mal: "Define interesting."
Wash: "Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die?"
mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:13 am

Sorry but I don't owe you the emotional labor it takes to communicate my disgust beyond a quip. ya know who else loved a good quip, MARK TWAIN, maybe ya heard of him. *sniff*
mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:54 pm

Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:38 pm

Just what the people of New Zealand are doing: wait til laws actually change and then decide how to proceed based on actual information.
mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:42 pm

Its a experiment tho, with a estimated 1.3 million guns in NZ existing in the wild and 32 being checked in after that shooting...ya think hundreds of thousands of NZ gun owners are on the verge of turning them in? You might be exactly right, the entire world will be watching how this plays out.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:51 pm

I think the majority of New Zealand gun owners are law-abiding citizens who like their guns and paid a lot for them. I think most of them are assuming that their guns will not be classified as military-style weaponry, so they're planning on getting to legally keep their guns. If I were them, I wouldn't jump to give up my property until I knew exactly what was going on.

And my guess is that they are mostly right, and all those 22's and shotguns and other stuff will remain completely legal, and there will be legitimate exceptions for some of the rest. New Zealand is not the U.S., but it sure is fun to be sensationalist by pretending it is.
mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:29 pm

well yea I certainly agree with you on that point, people screaming WELL ITS JUST THAT EASY when comparing a country that barely has as many people as the city of LA, good grief!
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper

Postby Zen » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:48 am

"The lines between kindness, apathy, and thickheadedness can be very thin." - Nakatani Nio Sensei
“The direction of escape is toward freedom. So what is ‘escapism’ an accusation of?” - Ursula K. Le Guin
Bonefish
Harvard Dropout

Postby Bonefish » Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:51 am

Lol. "military style" What is that, even?
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:26 am

Bonefish
Harvard Dropout

Postby Bonefish » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:18 pm

Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:30 pm

I was just pointing out that the phrase was not meaningless. It is, in fact, very specifically defined in their law. I'll take your word on all your points, because you are more of an authority than I.
Bonefish
Harvard Dropout

Postby Bonefish » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:23 pm

But it IS meaningless. Or rather, it's just a set of arbitrary features that don't change the core function of the weapon. It'd be like saying a Hummer is an "urban assault vehicle" because it has a large cowcatcher grill, is all black, has tinted windows and run flat tires. It's lacking the true features of a military urban assault vehicle, such as armor and weapons attachment points. It's like banning "prostitute style clothing".

Banning particular calibres makes more sense. Not much, but more.

Return to “Nerd Talk”