Fuck Louis CK

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Fuck Louis CK

Postby Kyle » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:55 pm

For real. Fuck that guy.

When you've been as gross, nasty and terrible as him- you have no place in the entertainment industry. Ever. He doesn't deserve a second chance. It doesn't matter how talented he is. I don't care if he's able to redeem himself- he can do that out of the public eye. You only get one chance not to strip naked and force people to watch you masturbate. When you've burned that one chance- you're done.

Fuck you, Louis CK- and all the other gross fuckers like you.
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Re: Fuck Louis CK

Postby poorpete » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:43 pm

I'm fine forgiving someone who seeks penance and change.

He admitted to his errors, but has not done anything to fix the fact that he ruined multiple female comics' careers with his assault and lies. Laying low for nine months doesn't equal penance. Laying low doesn't change the comic culture that's unfair-to-say-the-least to female comics. In fact he returned knowing that part of that culture would be welcoming to him.

Agreed, for now, stay away.
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:48 pm

Seek penance and change outside the public eye. Louis CK is a person that abused his position of power to coerce people into gross, terrible situations. If he wants to do penance and seek forgiveness for the people that he's victimized- that's between him and his victims. But I have no intention of supporting his return to the public eye and allow him to get wealthier and more powerful because of it. Fuck that guy.
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:49 pm

Oh- and to the people that gave him a standing ovation BEFORE his set? Fuck you too. You're part of the problem.
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:44 pm

There is debate over whether the ovation was standing, but agreed, fuck them.
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Thu Aug 30, 2018 2:54 pm

"How long should a man like Louis C.K. pay for what he did? At least as long as he worked to silence the women he assaulted and at least as long as he allowed them to doubt themselves and suffer in the wake of his predation and at least as long as the comedy world protected him even though there were very loud whispers about his behavior for decades.

He should pay until he demonstrates some measure of understanding of what he has done wrong and the extent of the harm he has caused. He should attempt to financially compensate his victims for all the work they did not get to do because of his efforts to silence them. He should facilitate their getting the professional opportunities they should have been able to take advantage of all these years. He should finance their mental health care as long as they may need it. He should donate to nonprofit organizations that work with sexual harassment and assault victims. He should publicly admit what he did and why it was wrong without excuses and legalese and deflection. Every perpetrator of sexual harassment and violence should follow suit." - Roxane Gay

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/29/opin ... stice.html
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:31 pm

I think that's the wrong way to look at it. Louis CK doesn't have to "pay" anything to get back into the public eye. That presupposes that he's entitled to be there at all. And he's not. No one (including us, the public at large, or the victims of his acts) owes Louis CK anything. We have no obligation, nor should we, to create a "path back" for this. Asking how much punishment he should pay for likens it to a jail sentence- and when it's done he gets to come back. No.

If Louis CK wants redemption, then he needs to seek that- on a personal level- with the people that he hurt and to his family and loved ones (who I'm guessing were also hurt by this). But that has nothing to do with us punishing him and everything to do with him taking actions to actually make amends for his deeds.

But with respect to him becoming a celebrity again who is allowed to hold and wield power in the media- no. Those positions are very few and far between. There are plenty of people- people far more talented than Louis CK- that can hold those positions. There are plenty of women- women who are both more talented than Louis CK and have been refused from holding such positions because of the gender bias in our society- that can hold those positions.

But not Louis CK. He needs to go away. My life will be no worse if I never have to be reminded of his existence again.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Phoebe » Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:46 pm

mimekiller
Standard Bearer
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby mimekiller » Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:56 am

Give me 1,000 Louis CK even if they do jerk off in front of people instead of one Nanette.
FlameBlade
Orange Troubleshooter

Postby FlameBlade » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:50 pm

You know, there are thousands other good comics out there who are trying to break through.
Heracles. Fists. Pantheon.

Clue in ancient Greece.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:40 pm

Who's Nanette?
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:09 pm

Nanette is a stand up comedy special by Austalian comedian Hannah Gadsby. In it, she essentially gives up comedy as a career and turns the performance into a commentary on comedy, on society, on the oppression and bullying she's suffered over her sexuality, on her family, etc. I find most recent stand up intolerable, but I found this show engaging and poignant. It's not for everyone.
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:44 pm

So Louis CK did something else besides jerk off? I’m having trouble following
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:36 pm

Yes. He's just utterly toast at this point. At first he acted like all he had done was jerk off after politely asking first, in front of people who had reluctantly agreed, and he regretted this because they were vulnerable to his power in his industry. But it turns out he has a long history of many types of sick fuckery and has no remorse whatsoever. Now he's making some kind of gamergate level "jokes" in an effort to trash whatever was left of his tattered reputation. Maybe he will phoenix up as some kind of old-fart Milo 2.0. Well, I'll always remember that dentist episode. At least we had that. I used to find him attractive and it absolutely skeeves me physically to recall that. It's a reminder that I have no ability to detect dangerous assholes.
mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:27 am

Louis CK "I identify as a location" joke very hacky, not that funny. Joke about parkland teens "Why do I have to listen to you just because you pushed some fat kid in front of you so you didn't get shot" fairly funny.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:41 am

I don't see what's funny about it on any level. Not because the subject is so serious that it can't be joked about, but because it's just a failed joke. Louis used to be one of those people who was funny in part because he made slightly shocking jokes about shocking topics that other people couldn't have touched effectively. It's like his own chief skill has now failed him completely, in the midst of his inability to understand his own bad behavior.
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:17 am

mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:48 pm

a good reminder that moralistic scolds are usually hiding deep secrets. I mean its just a interesting observation that's true 100 percent of the time.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/pe ... 88b7067da4
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:26 pm

More importantly, get tattoos of people only after they're dead and we know what the sum of their life measure has been.
WillyGilligan
Harvey Dent

Postby WillyGilligan » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:55 pm

Even when they're dead, you won't know everything. Just don't get tattoos.

Return to “Nerd Talk”