Resumes

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Eliahad
Mr. 3025
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Resumes

Postby Eliahad » Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:11 pm

I'm getting my resume together for an audition -- I'm on the short list!! -- and I have to pull my resume together again. I don't know how it's been for you folks when working on resumes, but this seems overly complicated. There's no way I can keep it all on 1 page, and then on top of that, the sheer quantity of different kinds of jobs, in different areas (performance, education, composition, classical, non-classical) is boggling my mind.

What's it like when you have to get your resume together?
"What are you going to do?"
"I'm going to roll an 8."
Mike
Boy of Summer

Re: Resumes

Postby Mike » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:27 pm

I've had one job for 20 years. My resume is pretty simple.
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Postby Eliahad » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:51 pm

Yeah, well, I've had a lot more than that. Most of them simultaneously.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:51 pm

Is the standard in music more of a business resume or more of a curriculum vitae listing all the notable accomplishments and positions held?

I hate updating mine and coincidentally need to do it this weekend, not for any special purpose but to give to people who need one. It sucks, bleagh.
Stan
Ninja Carpenter

Postby Stan » Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:40 am

Different fields have different standards. I think, in most fields, it's practically expected that an experienced person will have a two or even three page resume. Two is the norm. But I have disdain for kids right out of college which pad out with crap to 3-4 pages. But I have no idea the norm is in music - you can get points off for not following the norm.

Maybe focus on the highlights instead of a chronological listing? Focus on long running gigs and gigs that required more complexity like famously hard pieces and things like arranging as well as playing. Also leadership roles. Then mention in passing all the other things you've done to show that you've done lots of things and have been constantly working.

Good luck! I doubt I was helpful as it's an alien world to me.
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:15 am

Last time I needed a resume was 4 years ago and was still able to keep it to one page, mainly by making multiple resumes. I had one for applying to web jobs, one for video jobs, one for design jobs, one for regular office grunt jobs. I did similar for my cover letters, which I'd write a dozen paragraphs about each of my skills, and then copy and paste the paragraphs that were apt for that job.
bralbovsky
Twisted Sister

Postby bralbovsky » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:15 am

I recently submitted a resume (to someone who had to have it but didn't really want it, and had no intention of reading it) and listed undergrad as Wossamotta University in Frostbite Falls, MN and graduate work at Miskatonic U. Degrees in Ironic Documentation and Apocalypse Prep. It didn't impact my compensation.

I need to get the rear window stickers for these too.
"Before enlightenment, you chop the wood and carry the water.
After enlightenment, you chop the wood and carry the water."
Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Postby Eliahad » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:25 am

Oh goddess, that's awesome! I hope someone goes back and reads it on some future day and has a good laugh!

Ultimately I grouped things by type, leaving out things that I did in my first few years out of school, and explaining the more non-traditional gigs a little. It turns out I've had a goodly number of those. The orchestra section was boring as all heck. (I'm okay with that!)
DMDarcs
No-Life Loser

Postby DMDarcs » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:14 pm

Mrs.Darcs
This. Is. SPARTA!

Postby Mrs.Darcs » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:51 am

I'm working on 2 for myself right now. Both end up giving me panic attacks so I stop again. I have professional resume training ffs. Anxiety is a liar and depression is an asshole.
Power and Ripp forever

RIP Sam and Thor forever!
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:22 am

Impostor syndrome is real and also needs to be eradicated!
Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Postby Eliahad » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:22 am

Oh goddess, it's so real. It's the worst!
Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Postby Eliahad » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:24 am

Iantha
This. Is. SPARTA!

Postby Iantha » Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:31 pm

Return to “Nerd Talk”