Flu Shot

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
bralbovsky
Twisted Sister
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Flu Shot

Postby bralbovsky » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:56 am

So, you getting it? Why or why not. When?

Yes, civic duty, this week.
"Before enlightenment, you chop the wood and carry the water.
After enlightenment, you chop the wood and carry the water."
Mike
Boy of Summer

Re: Flu Shot

Postby Mike » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:58 am

Yes, to protect myself and my community. Every year we get them at work, usually at a table 20 feet from my office door, so it's easy. As soon as they set up, I'm in.
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:55 pm

Yes. In a couple of weeks when I get my next allergy shot. So I don't get the flu.
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Tahlvin » Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:46 pm

I'll try to. I usually do, but didn't last year. Since I work from my basement and don't really get onsite much with clients, my direct exposure is pretty limited. Plus, I don't have the convenience of getting it at work, like I used to, but instead have to drive about a half hour to the medical clinic to get one. If I'm already going there for an appointment, it's a no-brainer to have them give me the shot. But I just didn't get there around that time last year, so I never got it. Mea cuppa, mea cuppa, mea maxima cuppa!
Wash: "This is gonna get pretty interesting."
Mal: "Define interesting."
Wash: "Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die?"
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:57 pm

mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:58 pm

I usually don't out of pure laziness and a pretty sturdy immune system but this last January I was struck down by the worst flu of my life that sidelined me for half a week and I almost got cabin fever and went insane. So yea why not, getting the shot this year.
DMDarcs
No-Life Loser

Postby DMDarcs » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:14 pm

I tend not to unless I happen to have it offered to meme when I'm already getting some other medical thing done at the same time. Totally anecdotal, but every year I get the flu shot, I tend to get really bad colds almost as bad as the flu, and the years I don't, I'm fine.
Iantha
This. Is. SPARTA!

Postby Iantha » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:33 pm

Yes, for three reasons. 1) I don't want the flu. That shit sucks, yo. 2) Civic duty. I do NOT want to be spreading it around. 3) My work mandates it. I work in a medical office and so it's not really optional, which is just fine by me.
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:01 pm

FlameBlade
Orange Troubleshooter

Postby FlameBlade » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:31 am

Already got one last week.

Getting one means if you are hit by flu later in winter, and the variant is the wrong kind...then symptoms would be less worse, and faster recovery time.
Heracles. Fists. Pantheon.

Clue in ancient Greece.
El Jefe
Cleric Thief

Postby El Jefe » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:30 pm

The cost of it is likely my entire budget for groceries for a month, so...not likely.
The PA Fat Dutchman Mk II
"Amish Shoo-Fly Pie Boogaloo"
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:43 pm

El Jefe
Cleric Thief

Postby El Jefe » Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:06 pm

Huh. I'll have to check around (don't think either of those are that close to me). Last year when I looked all the places locally were doing it for $50 to $70.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:43 pm

CVS is $38. Doctors often charge you for an appt plus shot.

I didn't have any idea how much they cost. I haven't paid for one in 20 years since my workplace is technically a hospital.
El Jefe
Cleric Thief

Postby El Jefe » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:06 pm

Yeah, two years ago (the last time I got one), it cost me $65 out of pocket at the cheapest place. That was also the year with supply issues, so a lot more limited options on place.
Cazmonster
Silent but Deadly

Postby Cazmonster » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:58 am

Work sponsors a health screening with a flu shot chaser.

I get immunized because fuck viruses.

I'll get mine in about a week.
"...somewhat less attractive now that she's all corpsified and gross."
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:41 am

My local grocery store has always offered them for $20.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:50 pm

Yep, always get them here. Indeed, am grateful for the reminder to make appt for kids, which starts to get difficult if we don't call now!
Ronster
Maverick's Wingman

Postby Ronster » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:29 am

;) ;) Yes.

I always have ever since I got my first one courtesy of the Air Force in 1986 and have always gotten them (they were mandatory then). I also got some real good shots before I was stationed overseas.
I do not do it as part of civic duty. That thought never occurred to me. I do it as part of self-preservation. Selfish, I know.

I have never, ever had he flu, but my family has. I trick them into the shots when I can...trip to the drug store..lets all go in, I'll get you a drink if you pick it out...oh look, flu shots!

I am fortunate enough to have insurance that covers the flu shot.

I thought the local health departments had them here. I will check into that though.
접근금지야 이젠 접근금지야
이젠 접근금지야 너가 사과하기 전까지
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:19 am

I have an appointment at a flu clinic on Wednesday morning.

Return to “Nerd Talk”