untouched people groups

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
mimekiller
Standard Bearer
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

untouched people groups

Postby mimekiller » Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:10 am

The whole "uncontacted tribe" thing is bizarre. Governments are basically preserving human beings like museum exhibits. Don't these people have a right to know that modern society exists? Do you think they really enjoy dying of diseases we can cure with antibiotics?
bralbovsky
Twisted Sister

Re: untouched people groups

Postby bralbovsky » Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:20 am

In concept, I agree. I was reminded of the Life of Brian quote.."what has the Roman Empire ever done for us, besides roads..."
Having said that, I think it reflects a final dawning of awareness (marked perhaps by the making of "The Gods Must Be Crazy," that modernity can be damaging and toxic - think smallpox - and that there should be a way to preserve the best parts of our more tactile and less insulated wisdom. Of course, we suck at it so far. Also reminded , by Darcs BTW, of "Nanook of the North" a case study of how badly we suck at it.
Balancing acts are not our best thing.

Leave them the fuck alone. Offer to trade cool modern stuff they want for nifty things and knowledge that retains their agency (with no metric on equivalency).

But there is no such thing as not violating the prime directive.
"Before enlightenment, you chop the wood and carry the water.
After enlightenment, you chop the wood and carry the water."
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:24 pm

I was under the impression that most of the "untouched tribes" that still exist, are either because they are extremely remote/inaccessible and it hasn't been worth anyone's time and resources yet, OR they are uncontacted by their own choice where they actively attack and drive away anyone who might make contact.

Also, I believe that most, if not all, such peoples are aware of the outside world in that other people exist, flying machines pass overhead on rare occasions, we've seen their massive ships in the distance or whatever, and they see no need yet to seek anyone else out either.

I know that there are groups that advocate for leaving these people as completely pristine as possible, but I don't know of any government having a prime directive style policy about it. (There might be... I don't know).
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:25 pm

Note: the vast majority of my knowledge here comes from half-remembered articles from The Bathroon Reader.
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:22 am

Some dude got killed by one recently doing something ill advised.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/1 ... ed-indian/
Bonefish
Harvard Dropout

Postby Bonefish » Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:17 pm

Who hasn't ever wanted to kill a missionary? Surely it's not that unusual of an urge?
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:00 pm

I was curious about why they would bother to go get his body after that, as clearly what he did was his own choice, but my friend suggested to me there could be various health concerns.

Return to “Nerd Talk”