[SPOILERS] Endgame

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Re: [SPOILERS] Endgame

Postby Kyle » Thu May 09, 2019 5:02 pm

This lady gets it.
El Jefe
Cleric Thief
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby El Jefe » Fri May 10, 2019 9:56 am

The PA Fat Dutchman Mk II
"Amish Shoo-Fly Pie Boogaloo"
Eliahad
Mr. 3025
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Eliahad » Fri May 10, 2019 10:21 am

Guys, this thread didn't have any spoiler tags about Suicide Squad and I haven't seen it yet, can we be a little more careful here? Jeez.
"What are you going to do?"
"I'm going to roll an 8."
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Fri May 10, 2019 10:33 am

I was going to post a nice gif at this juncture but then found all these things saying shit like "would die 4 josh dunn" and I give up. Fix yourselves, children, nobody is going to fix you for you. Gather yourself, ugh. Also the dog has the worst gas because I fed him some cottage cheese. MISTAKE.
El Jefe
Cleric Thief

Postby El Jefe » Fri May 10, 2019 11:19 am

Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Fri May 10, 2019 5:50 pm

All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
El Jefe
Cleric Thief

Postby El Jefe » Sat May 11, 2019 8:41 am

You really are trying to overtake your brother there. That's not a prize to lust after, Mikhail.
yes_I_like_pie

Postby yes_I_like_pie » Thu May 30, 2019 3:53 pm

I really enjoyed the movie, but I never really cared for much of the core Avengers line up. I think they did a good job cramming so much plot into this movie, and it almost felt like they weren't forcing it. Here were some of my problems:

- Fat Thor, fat jokes really aren't funny anymore, nor are jokes correlating mental health issues (depression) with fatness, its a cheap shot that doesn't land if you think of the people it hurts. I feel they were trying to ride the momentum of fat Spiderman from multiverse.
- I kinda wish more Avengers had died, the ending seems very happy, I was hoping for something more gritty.
- Marvel doesn't have any idea how to write strong heroes. Captain Marvel wasn't super well written.
- They have to kill all the women all the time? Black Widow? Gomarrah again? Urgh there are so many straight white dudes they could have killed off instead. Come on! STOP KILLING WOMEN
- Side note to the above, no one really gives a shit that Black Widow died? She doesn't really get a funeral? And don't give me that shit of "she wouldn't have wanted a big deal". Then make a more emotional, meaningful, situation for her.
- Another side note: Tony Stark the white, rich, cocky jerk gets a funeral? But Black Widow doesn't? If they were going to give him a funeral to match his personality they would have had a parade in New York city with dancers and fireworks.
- I HATE Hawkeye, well... I hate Jeremy Renner, he just deserved to die and should have.
- The pandering shot of female fighters was terrible.
- What does "50% of life" disappearing mean? Just intelligent life? Animals? Bacteria? I mean if you take it by its word the effects would kill EVERYTHING.
- Where do they go? Are they gone if they are somewhere like Spiderman mentioned? Is that really destroying life?
- Thanos plan didn't make sense, killing half of all life would do nothing really. Do you know what would happen to earth if half the people disappeared? We would go back to the 1970's. That's nothing. He made much more sense when he wanted to get rid of all life.
-I wanted to know more about half of life disappearing and coming back. I mean what about parents disappearing and their babies remaining? What about schools? Elderly people? When everyone came back they were so happy, but man, there must have been some real scary situations people came back to. People who moved on from marriages.
- I wanted Hulk to be better in this.

Thanks for coming to my TED talk.
mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Thu May 30, 2019 4:25 pm

you wanted the movie to end with two back to back funerals? I feel this entire thing was written to spike my BP, not good for my health!
WillyGilligan
Harvey Dent

Postby WillyGilligan » Fri May 31, 2019 8:14 am

- Weight gain is common with depression. As someone dealing with both those issues, I wasn't hurt by the portrayal. It resonated with me, but YMMV. Given that Thor is normally depicted as Perfect Man with abs and flowing hair, Fat Thor provided humor specific to that character as well as dramatic arc.

- What "Fat Spiderman" wave are you talking about? It was part of that movie, but I wouldn't call it wave inspiring. Since Hemsworth showed he could do comedy in Ghostbusters, they decided to lean into it for Thor.

- Marvel does strong heroes well, even strong female heroes. I think Scarlet Witch, Black Widow and Shuri are all characters that hold their own and are interesting on screen. Captain Marvel is trying to be Empowering Female Character(TM), so they won't let her have flaws that would make her interesting. Captain America at least got to be overly earnest and out of touch in a way that was charming.

- Meta commentary on the funeral: Tony Stark is gone and his was the movie that started this 10 year experiment. The funeral was a marker for the franchise. Black Widow is getting a prequel movie, so she's not "gone" in the same way. Her body was also still on that planet, but they could have had a picture of her and the other perma-deads in the scene as a group memorial. On the other hand, that would have taken away from the personal story of the funeral that we got in favor of a really vague group eulogy like we got in Game of Thrones.

- Pandering shot was terrible, but my wife and daughters dug it, so what do I know?

- A TV series could cover all of the ins and outs the snap and the return, but cramming more of that into an already 3 hour movie would have been wrong.
mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Fri May 31, 2019 3:45 pm

Yea I mean after my dad died and wife left me in fall 2015 I just went home after work and had beers and chip and dip and guess what I gained a ton of weight! Thankfully most of its gone and I'm Skinner then ever(which is still a chubby boy, but still waist size 46 to 40) So does this mean I have some AUTHORITY or WOKE POINTS to talk about this subject, I think based on 2019 currency I do and I concur! Its not offensive at all!
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Fri May 31, 2019 4:09 pm

I thought Fat Thor was hilarious, but I've heard a lot of people who have suffered with depression complain about it. I think if a significant portion of people feel marginalized by something-- even if I don't understand it or feel the same way-- then it probably should have been left out. Keep in mind- I mean this only in the context of dumb entertainment like superhero movies. There's plenty of heavy movies that deal with heavy issues that make people feel marginalized when they don't actually watch or try to understand the viewpoint of the movie- I have different opinions about that. But in a dumb superhero movie- if it made as many people as I have heard from feel bad or uncomfortable, then I'm pretty sure that's not what the filmmakers wanted and it should have been left out.
mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Fri May 31, 2019 7:30 pm

also I'm not quite sure about the hand wringing about BLACK WIDOW is fair since she's getting a ding dang movie!
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Fri May 31, 2019 7:46 pm

Her getting a prequel shouldn't make a difference. It's about the emotional integrity of THIS movie. Natasha and Tony both sacrificed themselves to save the world. They both made the same decision and paid the same price... except that Tony can be brought back and Nat can't.

Having said that, Widow died mid-movie, and we saw the team grieve for her. I thought that scene at the lake was powerful and appropriate to her character. I didn't feel like Tony's big, more public funeral took anything away from her.

I personally found Thor's transformation very funny and very relatable. I really like comedy-Thor. I'm sure that he will have sobered up and trimmed down by the next time he's in a movie. But I like the way Kyle explained it, and he and Pie make very good points.Just because it doesn't offend me doesn't mean it's universally okay.
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
FlameBlade
Orange Troubleshooter

Postby FlameBlade » Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:32 am

Re: depression. I must hang out with different circles of people. Thing is, the key, even if Thor is all out of sorts, Thor is still worthy of the hammer.
Heracles. Fists. Pantheon.

Clue in ancient Greece.
WillyGilligan
Harvey Dent

Postby WillyGilligan » Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:37 am

El Jefe
Cleric Thief

Postby El Jefe » Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:25 pm

The "is Thor still worthy" arc is (and could have been on screen) entirely independent of the jokes. The jokes were pretty bad, and were just ho-hum punch down humor. Fat Thor wasn't the problem, but I can definitely see how his friends for the last decade being kind of dickholes to him all the time would be. You could have done the arc without the jokes, just fine. Most of the pushback wasn't on Thor being fat Thor, but on just some really craptastic fat jokes (and some rather ugly actions for characters who haven't really shown that side at all previously).

Also, I wouldn't plan on Fat Thor (or non-sculpted Thor) to disappear quickly. Hemsworth has said he would prefer to not have to put in as much work for the role to maintain the insane Thor physique, so while prosthetic Fat Thor may not be a thing, more comfortable Thor may very much be. And the humor angle has been building for Thor for quite a while. Hemsworth was just like Ryan Reynolds (leading man looks, comedy chops, but nobody wanted him to do comedy in the industry, really). Hemsworth has wanted more comedy, and finally got it with Ghostbuster and getting Taika onboard for Ragnarok. Him going to Guardians will only help with that immensely.
Ronster
Maverick's Wingman

Postby Ronster » Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:49 pm

접근금지야 이젠 접근금지야
이젠 접근금지야 너가 사과하기 전까지

Return to “Nerd Talk”