[SPOILERS] Endgame

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

[SPOILERS] Endgame

Postby Kyle » Thu May 02, 2019 11:50 am

Let's use this thread to talk about Endgame.

If you haven't seen it, then don't read this thread, because it will be FULL OF SPOILERS.

FULL

OF

SPOILERS

You've been warned.
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Re: [SPOILERS] Endgame

Postby Kyle » Thu May 02, 2019 11:51 am

I'm not fucking around here. If you haven't seen it, then go away. There's going to be spoilers, jerk.

Just stop.
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Thu May 02, 2019 11:52 am

Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Thu May 02, 2019 11:53 am

Okay, that's enough warning. Who's seen it? I loved it, but I have thoughts.
mimekiller
Standard Bearer
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby mimekiller » Thu May 02, 2019 4:18 pm

Overall it was pretty good

LOVED FAT THOR and joining Guardians

Loved the conclusion to Cap/Iron Man story

Captain Marvel was hilariously not used at all and when she was it was either awful/pointless/setting up namor movie? who cares.

Final battle was really boring with no real weight to it....
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Fri May 03, 2019 11:09 am

mimekiller
Standard Bearer
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby mimekiller » Fri May 03, 2019 3:58 pm

And I took it really personal because my nerdy brain actually burned calroies trying to link together the powers I saw used in Captain Marvel/Tech on display with a weakness that could be exploited in Thanos. In the end I might as well of thought Drink more Ovaltine a dozen times! insulting!
DMDarcs
No-Life Loser

Postby DMDarcs » Sat May 04, 2019 10:50 pm

Note that as soon as Thor gets the dad bod, his use of terrible jokes and puns increases.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Sun May 05, 2019 8:58 pm

First: loved it! I was not emotionally connected to Infinity War like I was to this one. All the tearjerker moments totally got me and felt earned and justified. I liked the slow pacing in some parts. Like they knew it was a 3 hour movie, but didn't rush parts that needed to unfold.

I could watch Cap toss Mjolnir around ALL FUCKING DAY! Best thing in the whole movie! And Thor's "I knew it!" was just icing on the cake.

Side note: looks like I was right... the chances of ScarJo ever featuring in that Black Widow solo film just dropped precipitously.

Nitpicks:

Only one time travel issue, which could have been fixed easily: if old Cap had returned through the portal all would be been right enough for me to handwave anything else.

The "girl power" group shot was a bit much. I get it, but "she has help"?? She didn't need any help.

Joe Russo was so proud to have included an openly gay character in an MCU film. An openly gay character played by Russo himself, who is not super-powered, who has no bearing on the plot, who gets less than 60 seconds of screen time during which he talks about a lame first date with another man. That's it. Oh thank God little gay kids now have an MCU character that they can relate to and look up to. Pathetic.
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Mon May 06, 2019 4:03 pm

I think the "first openly gay moment in MCU history" was fine but it needed to just exist on its own and people wanted to be happy about it let them. The problem is that Disney couldn't stop BLOWING themselves about it and fed that tidbit to the right media outlets they knew would give them a free positive press write up. Philanthropy is the new marketing of course but even so I think even most people saw it as the pandering display that it was.
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Tue May 07, 2019 12:17 pm

El Jefe
Cleric Thief

Postby El Jefe » Wed May 08, 2019 10:07 am

Garbage fans continue to be garbage fans. That's the take away from this movie. It wasn't the neckbeards this time, which I guess is worth a laugh?

It's not a flick without problems, yes. Gamora's handling is barely a few steps above the DC inspired "fridge" trope. Marvel has no clue how to handle Captain Marvel when around other supers. That's going to be a problem going forward. On the front of actual improvements to those outside of the sausage fest, you do manage to get a drastically improved handling of Widow and Nebula. But the level of stupid found in the critiques of this flick are reaching Australian levels.

It's a time travel tale that doesn't make me want to pull my hair out. It even manages to do some decent pokes at the usual time travel bullshit. That's a big plus.

Where the movie really shines is that it's a really well-directed piece of film. The advantage of having a pair as directors shines through here. The pacing is just about perfect, slowing and speeding where needed. The emotional hits deliver well in both timing and cinematic intensity. A solid 75% of the cast gets their "breakout" moment, and that's beyond impressive in a cast this size, with this much intertwined material and storylines.

It's an incredibly strong MCU flick, and a worthwhile send off to whatever the fuck phase they're calling the first story arc. It really won't get the recognition it deserves as a film project, because it's always going to be tainted with the comic book links. But it is absolutely a first in terms of successfully pulling of a project this large, because even the closest two franchises (Star Wars and Star Trek) haven't tried anything resembling this much of a shared universe. It's going to be interesting to see if this pushes some of the cinema world to start looking at other previously "impossible" or "unfilmable" properties and rethinking.
The PA Fat Dutchman Mk II
"Amish Shoo-Fly Pie Boogaloo"
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Wed May 08, 2019 10:31 am

El Jefe
Cleric Thief

Postby El Jefe » Wed May 08, 2019 2:38 pm

Also, in case it was unclear for anybody, let me make it clear.

IF YOU HAVEN'T WATCHED THE GODDAMN MOVIE, SHUT YOUR FUCKING FACE HOLE.

I never thought I'd need a PSA for why watching a movie, rather than simply reading about it, is the bare minimum for being able to competently talk about it, but hey, I FUCKING DO. Humans are the worst.
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Wed May 08, 2019 4:07 pm

El Jefe
Cleric Thief

Postby El Jefe » Wed May 08, 2019 4:17 pm

Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Wed May 08, 2019 4:19 pm

Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Wed May 08, 2019 6:14 pm

Point. I saw it 4 times in the theater and thoroughly hated it through the first 3. Only after 4 did I see the light.

It's worth every moment.
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
El Jefe
Cleric Thief

Postby El Jefe » Wed May 08, 2019 6:36 pm

Somebody is bucking for taking over the title of the hated JONES, I see.

You'll both pay, JONAS BROTHERS.

Wait, that's not right...
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Thu May 09, 2019 8:22 am

But would we have that great song HEATHENS without Suicide Squad?

:tafkap:

Return to “Nerd Talk”