Psychological euthanasia

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
mimekiller
Standard Bearer
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Psychological euthanasia

Postby mimekiller » Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:12 pm

What do you think about this? my knee jerk reaction is that its just awful but I dont know maybe I need to be more open minded.

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/paren ... b1b8e215a1
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Re: Psychological euthanasia

Postby Kyle » Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:30 pm

My gut reaction is that this is misguided and wrong. But I don't know enough about it. At initial blush, I find it hard to ever square sanctioning suicide for a minor.
mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:40 pm

KIND OF BURIED in the article is that she's not doing that great physically after a struggle with anorexia so its beyond just psychological trauma even tho that's the root of the issues she's facing.
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:37 am

Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:40 pm

I thought she died by self starvation and not euthanasia?
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:35 am

A minor child took conscious action to end their own life.

The child's parents witnessed this, understood the consequences of this action, were capable of preventing it and chose not to.

I don't know what circumstances justify this behavior. I hope to never be confronted with such a situation.

When a minor child (or any vulnerable person) is involved, how much difference does it make that the legal guardians knowingly allowed the actions to take place versus actively pulling the proverbial trigger themselves?

Would the parents' responsibility/culpability in this case be different if the child had chosen a noose instead of starvation?
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:10 am

Here we have no euthanasia law, so when someone is going to die by starvation/dehydration, nothing can be done to end the suffering besides administering morphine. For my grandma, who had always been super strong in constitution, it took two weeks. We had to watch and could do nothing.

Anyway, this case above, ethically wrong on almost every possible level, and it particularly makes me sick that media reports are describing the case as "euthanized because she was raped". WTF? No. Not what happened. Of all the things they could have chosen to report that were already know, all the stories in English I've seen have chosen to run with that angle. Like Mime said, it matters greatly that she was anorexic for years, and we don't euthanize people because they're having a psychological crisis after trauma, my God.
mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:30 pm

And who would ever buy her self help book knowing the outcome of her life? what a con artist!

Return to “Nerd Talk”