Begun....the streaming wars have.

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
mimekiller
Standard Bearer
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Begun....the streaming wars have.

Postby mimekiller » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:26 am

So it looks like we are going from the BIG THREE(Prime, Hulu, Netflix) to almost double that by this time next year. How many do you guys subscribe to now and how many do you plan to get? For refrence, here are the current and upcoming big players

Netflix
Prime
Hulu
Apple(not sure what the name of this will be so lets just say Apple)
HBO MAX
Disney+
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Re: Begun....the streaming wars have.

Postby Kyle » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:00 am

I have Netflix, Prime and Hulu. I don't have Prime for the streaming, though. If it was for streaming, I'd drop it.

I'll probably keep all three and then rotate through the others to binge things that interest me and then drop them after a few months when I lose interest. That's what I do with HBO- I get it for a couple of months every year and binge stuff (this year it was GoT and Barry- seriously, y'all- you have to watch Barry). When Shameless comes out again, we'll subscribe for a couple of months then drop it. That's generally what we do. I'm worried their going to change their model to prevent this, though.
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:31 am

We have Prime, Netflix, Hulu, HBO MAX, and Showtime's streaming app. Like Kyle, we don't have Prime exclusively for the streaming, that's just an additional benefit. And we have HBO and Showtime's streaming services due to having those channels through our TV provider (no, we are not yet a streaming-only household). (Our TV service is park of a package with our internet access, and because I do IT consulting work from home and need a high-speed connection, the cost of the TV service and premium channels is not the biggest part of that monthly bill.)

I know CBS and NBC are looking at adding their own stream services, and there's been talk about them removing some of their content (The Office, Friends, etc.) from Netflix and providing it through their services instead. As of right now, we're not planning to add any others beyond what we currently have. But we'll see what the future holds.
Wash: "This is gonna get pretty interesting."
Mal: "Define interesting."
Wash: "Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die?"
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:33 pm

I'm interested in what Disney does. They could decide to make all of their content available only on their own streaming service. But then I think of Marvel, Star Wars, Pixar, and I realize I see the majority of those in the theater, so they wouldn't motivate me to get Disney streaming.
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:22 pm

Oh so HBO GO which what most of you have is a current thing but HBO MAX is a upcoming deal, here's a link for a bit more context(this is shame on me for not providing any other info about that, it is CONFUSING) and it sounds like normal HBO GO will just EVOLVE into HBO max which makes that a bit easy.

https://www.hbo.com/hbo-news/hbo-max-streaming-service

Honestly its surprising to me that they are using HBO as the brand name for this thing and not Warner Brothers but what do I know.

Return to “Nerd Talk”