Individual packaging

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Mike
Boy of Summer

Individual packaging

Postby Mike » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:17 am

So I'm walking through my neighborhood this morning, and over about a mile stretch, I see no less than five 50ml Fireball Whiskey bottles scattered about in the street and on lawns. And I wonder what sort of party are you having where you'd rather buy the multi packs of individual shots rather than just get a bottle. Seems wasteful and dumb to me.

But research at Walmart.com shows me that getting the bottled shots is only a tiny bit more expensive than buying a 750ml bottle. If you wanted to save money and be less wasteful, you'd really need to get the 1.75L bottle for 30 bucks. But if it's just you and a friend or two, 10 bucks for 10 shots is a pretty good deal.

Which reminded me that... oh yeah... bottled water at Walmart is usually cheapest when you buy the 40 pack of individual bottles. Cheaper than buying gallon jugs. Unless you want to do the refillable 3 gallon thing... then THAT'S cheapest.

But honestly, we love convenience, and sheer volume of convenience often makes the more wasteful options as affordable (if not moreso) than other options.

I was first hit in the face with this years ago when I realized 8oz of shredded cheddar was cheaper than an 8oz block of cheddar. More work, larger packaging, greater transportation cost, more required display space. But cheaper.

Jeez, we suck.
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Re: Individual packaging

Postby Mike » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:28 pm

And that was the board's 50,000th post.
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
mimekiller
Standard Bearer
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Individual packaging

Postby mimekiller » Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:39 pm

Essentially you are seeing the product of the poor mans bar, someone who can't afford to sit down and get reasonably drunk paying 5-10 dollars a drink but can afford 5-10 dollars for one bottle and wants to do so outside and be social while they do it.

let THE WIRE explain it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9YgBF58Qks

Unfortunate that those same folks also act like pigs and feel the need to litter in your fine neighborhood .

Return to “Nerd Talk”