ALL NEW Nerd Pride Radio Movie of the (Every Other) Week!

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

ALL NEW Nerd Pride Radio Movie of the (Every Other) Week!

Postby Kyle » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:44 pm

Hey- when we did a Movie of the Week? Well let's do it again!

ALL NEW Nerd Pride Movie of the (Every Other) Week- someone selects a movie, we all watch it and then discuss it. General rules:

1- Movie discussion threads will be opened by me sometime on Sunday. At that time, the next movie that we watch will be announced.

2- There will be no discussion of the Movie of the Week until the discussion thread is open- not on the boards and not in person. Do not explain why you picked a movie or your concerns over yours (or someone else's picks)-- that all needs to be saved for when the discussion thread is open.

3- After a selection has been announced, we will have two weeks to watch it-- the discussion thread will opened by me two weeks later, as discussed above.

4- The person selecting the movie will PM their selection to me by the Friday before the Sunday when their movie is announced.

5-The movie should be a movie you've seen before and liked-- a hidden gem- something that you loved, but isn't well known or widely seen. Unlike last time, the movie should be something that you've already seen and don't mind watching again.

6- The movie should be at least 3-ish years old or older. Do not select a movie released in 2017 or sooner.

7- The movie should be something that you think you and most of the group will enjoy watching. This is not an exercise in punishment or practical jokes-- don't recommend the Human Centipede because you think it would be funny to force people to watch it. The point is that you think people will appreciate the movie. This is not to say that movies that are about difficult subject matter are off limits. The holocaust and any movie involving a child's death are particularly hard for me to watch. But if you think it's a good movie about a difficult subject matter- then that movie is fair game to be selected.

8- The order we are picking is a little arbitrary and will be determined by me. Generally, selecting a movie is only open to people that are participating in the discussions. Let me know if you want to participate and I'll add your name to the bottom of the movie selection list. Then start watching the movies and posting up in the discussion threads. People that aren't participating in the discussions can't pick movies.

9- If you haven't watched the movie- don't participate in the discussion. This doesn't apply to people that only watched part of a movie. Quite the opposite applies then-- if you had to turn a movie off because you were bored, offended or whatever, then your discussion is welcomed when the discussion thread opens.

Movies
1. A Dark Song (2016)- selected by Kyle ().
2. See You Yesterday (2019)- selected by Mike ().
3. The Cloverfield Paradox (2018)- selected by Tahlvin ().
4. The Guard (2011)- selected by Mimekiller ().
5. Between Two Ferns (2019)- selected by poorpete ()
6. Hard Eight (1996)- selected by Zombie ()
7. Burning (2018)- selected by bucket (.)
8. No Way Out (1987)- selected by Kyle (.)
9. Joint Security Area (2000)- selected by Mike ()
10. High Spirits (1988)- selected by Tahlvin ()
11. Stalag 17 (1953)- selected by poorpete ()
12. Coherence (2013)- selected by Kyle ()
13. Ronin (1998)- selected by buckett ()
14. Blue Velvet (1986)- selected by Kyle ()
15. Happy Accidents (2000)- selected by Mike ()
16. The Pelican Brief (1993)- selected by Tahlvin (.)
17. Murder Party (2007)- selected by Zombie (discussion thread will open on April 12.)

Current Participants
Next Movie Selector:buckett
Kyle
Mike
Tahlvin
Zombie
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Re: ALL NEW Nerd Pride Movie of the (Every Other) Week!

Postby Kyle » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:45 pm

Who's in?
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Tahlvin » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:48 pm

I’ll give it a go!
Wash: "This is gonna get pretty interesting."
Mal: "Define interesting."
Wash: "Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die?"
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:09 pm

Yup.
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
mimekiller
Standard Bearer
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby mimekiller » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:28 pm

I'm in! Sounds fun!
El Jefe
Cleric Thief

Postby El Jefe » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:16 pm

I'm in, with the caveat that if it's non-Netflix or Prime, I won't be able to jump in.
The PA Fat Dutchman Mk II
"Amish Shoo-Fly Pie Boogaloo"
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:17 pm

Same as El Jefe, except I can do Hulu and via my library, Kanopy.
Zombie
The Zombdigitty

Postby Zombie » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:48 pm

In. I'm able to do most of the streaming platforms.
buckett
Orange Troubleshooter

Postby buckett » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:27 am

Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:40 am

Awesome! The first movie we'll watch is A Dark Song which is available on Netflix and . It's a 2017 movie that's billed as a horror movie, but it's really a psychological thriller with supernatural elements to it. I watched this about six months ago and loved it.

Has everyone already seen it? If so, I'll pick something else, but it's a pretty obscure Irish indie movie, so I don't think y'all have.

You'll have just under two weeks to watch it. I'll open up the discussion thread on Sunday August 18.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:31 pm

I watched it with Aidan, and we mentioned it on the podcast. I would be happy to watch it again, but if enough people have seen it, you can change if you want.
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
Zombie
The Zombdigitty

Postby Zombie » Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:13 pm

Never seen it.
mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:40 pm

I've seen it but I'm ok watching it again!
Zombie
The Zombdigitty

Postby Zombie » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:03 am

Can you put the date up in the list? Might be easier to keep track of as the list gets longer.
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:14 am

Ronster
Maverick's Wingman

Postby Ronster » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:14 am

Would like to join, but Amazon Prime is my only option unless there is a youtube of it. My only viewing time is on my lunches at work.
접근금지야 이젠 접근금지야
이젠 접근금지야 너가 사과하기 전까지
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:32 am

Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:33 am

One week until I open up the thread on A Dark Song! Watch it this week!
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:27 pm

Other than Kyle's no-child-deaths requests, are there other subject matter or style that people prefer not to watch?

I'd say I can muscle though an occasional horror film or psychological thriller but if it's going to be the entire list I will probably be only an occasional participant.
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:51 pm

Return to “Nerd Talk”