[ANNPRMEOW] See You Yesterday

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

[ANNPRMEOW] See You Yesterday

Postby Kyle » Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:35 am

This is the discussion thread for the All New Nerd Pride Radio Movie of the Every Other Week!

This thread is only for those who have seen the movie recently. Commentary from people who haven't seen it will be deleted.

This Every Other Weeks Movie: See You Yesterday, selected by Mike.

WARNING- ALL SPOILERS FOR THIS MOVIE ARE ALLOWED! For real, if you haven't seen it, don't read any further!

Discuss!
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: [ANNPRMEOW] See You Yesterday

Postby Tahlvin » Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:09 pm

Loved it! Nice take on the problems of time travel mixed with the disparities of policing in the African-American community. Loved seeing a minority-centric sci-fi movie. More thoughts later.
Wash: "This is gonna get pretty interesting."
Mal: "Define interesting."
Wash: "Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die?"
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:38 pm

Full support on what Tahlvin said.

I saw the original short film and fell in love with it. This is a good expansion on that. Although seeing the short film kinda ruined the first 20 minutes for me. There's all sorts of foreshadowing early on that seemed super cheesy because I knew what was coming. I was afraid it would keep me out of the film, but by the end, i was completely immersed.

Ambiguous ending! I actually liked that part, and normally I don't. What do you think happens? My bet is that C.J. won't stop until she saves everyone, and that means it's over when she's the one that takes the bullet, and no one else will go meddling in time anymore once she's gone. We've already seen that her headstrong impulses fuck things up, so that seems like the natural end. It's also the way the short film ends, so I'm not going far out on a limb with that prediction.
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:55 pm

I figure she’ll have to keep going back, keep having to improve the tech to go back further and not get messed up by other timelines, but would ultimately still not succeed.
Wash: "This is gonna get pretty interesting."
Mal: "Define interesting."
Wash: "Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die?"
buckett
Orange Troubleshooter

Postby buckett » Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:55 pm

Can't say I particularly cared for this movie but it was an admirable attempt to inject these specific social themes into the genre. That was also my read of the final scenes too Mike, and I do think it was a clever ending.
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:31 pm

This didn’t hold up on a second viewing. Loved the actors and the social commentary. Loved the fun nature and chemistry of the first half. It really falls apart at the end with time travel that doesn’t make sense. The time travel is really broken in this movie and it bothered me. The only changes we saw were in real time. We never had a “we changed something, so what’s different?” moment. Also too much handwaving to explain the inconsistencies in the plot.

I really enjoyed this movie on my first viewing and looked a little too close on this one.
mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:33 am

I thought it was pretty ok!

Characters were great, the BIG cameo in the start of the film was like a shot of pure dopamine to my pleasure centers, I like Butterfly Effect stuff(as seen in the feature film "Butterfly Effect") and wish we saw more attempts/ideas to "fix" the timeline, by my count we really only had 2 or so.

PACING seemed kind of off, especially after the brother died AFTER we established the characters can time travel, instead of getting right to it we saw them act mopey for what seemed like a extended bit of time.

solid ***
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:35 am

It was pretty good. Did a great job of creating its every-so-slightly-skewed universe.

I like their costumes, intentionally colorful and non-sexualized, would be totally at home in a G/PG/ Disney Channel film about time-travelling friends. I believe it's not until we leave the classroom and enter the city do we get hit with the first profanities and then the first hint at threatened violence. At which point it grounds itself firmly into modern realities.

I also like how it shows that systematic issues can't be overcome just by kids being smart, or, say, time travel.

I liked the ending, only in that I felt the movie was clearly leading to her sacrificing herself to save her brother and her friend, and I did not want to see that happen on screen. But happy ending at that point would seem unlikely based on where we left off, and feel tacked on.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:53 am

I highly recommend the original short film of the same name from 2017, but it looks like it is exclusively available on Cinemax right now. It's much grittier and packs a more effective emotional punch in its 15 minute runtime.
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
Zombie
The Zombdigitty

Postby Zombie » Mon Sep 02, 2019 3:14 pm

Solid film. I'm a bit late here so I'm just echoing others. I thought the genre blend was pretty clever. It wasn't trying to be Primer so I didn't mind if some of the time travel stuff fell apart. Acting was decent. I'm glad Netflix funds and supports diverse films and creators.

This fell a little bit short for me. Maybe it was the goofiness with the time travel stuff in See You Yesterday, but The Hate U Give with similar setting and social commentary hit me a lot harder.
mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:36 pm

Twilight Zone(2019) also covered the exact same topic slightly more effectively.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nz84m0BRmCU
buckett
Orange Troubleshooter

Postby buckett » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:11 pm

Odd that the short is on Cinemax and the film is on Netflix. I would have been interested in comparing if I could see the short.
El Jefe
Cleric Thief

Postby El Jefe » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:43 am

Finally had a chance to sit down and watch it. It's a good film. There's some rough edges, but nothing that's big enough to matter.

As for the ending, I'm betting the top falls over.

She keeps looping, never giving up, and never succeeding. Because that's how obsessives do. Also, there's rarely ever anything happy and bright and shiny about time travel.
The PA Fat Dutchman Mk II
"Amish Shoo-Fly Pie Boogaloo"

Return to “Nerd Talk”