Miraculous

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Phoebe
Canned Helsing
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Miraculous

Postby Phoebe » Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:33 pm

Does anyone watch this cartoon, "Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug & Cat Noir"? I saw snippets and was so put off by it, but now I have many, many questions and darn it, no matter how annoying the show, I need answers!
Mike
Boy of Summer

Re: Miraculous

Postby Mike » Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:56 pm

No. But now I'm intrigued.
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
akiva
Melancholy Camper

Postby akiva » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:33 pm

My kids--and especially my son--love the show. He does lots of research about it online.
Reel on a repeating loop
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:04 pm

WillyGilligan
Harvey Dent

Postby WillyGilligan » Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:10 pm

My godson watches this all the time, so I've seen a bit of it. I know that most of the things I don't understand about it come from it being a French kids' show.

There is something interesting about having villains that need to be fought in the moment, but after they are neutralized as a threat and the hero learns their motivations, they attempt to resolve the issues that lead to the villainy.

And all villainy is the result of one shadowy conspiracy figure that tempts otherwise normal people into darkness.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:18 pm

That's how it got me hooked in nefariously. Minor moral flaws lead to a crisis that is somehow resolved with the aid of superpowers, but usually typical human reflection spurs the needed action, so the superpowers are incidental tools. It's a love-hate thing. I was a HUGE fan of that French cartoon about Samsam, when my kid was into that one, and of course there's a good history with Babar... but then are the French responsible for Caillou? Very mixed bag.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:20 pm

DMDarcs
No-Life Loser

Postby DMDarcs » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:48 pm

Mrs. Darcs is a huge fan and did cosplay at GenCon this year twice related to this cartoon. She has gotten to know the English subbing casting director. She can probably answer most questions.

For those of you not in the know.... think Sailor Moon in France, and you get the general gist.
Mrs.Darcs
This. Is. SPARTA!

Postby Mrs.Darcs » Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:01 pm

Mike! I freaking COSPLAYED Ladybug at Gencon, with you!! and Now you are intrigued about Ladybug? Wow, Godball DID have you completely out of it, didn't it. I'm pretty hurt.

As for the rest of you, I would be happy to answer any and all questions you have about my obsession. I pretty much live and breath it right now. In fact, in like 3 weeks I'll be going to lunch with the american voice director/extra voice actor of Ladybug and his wife (who plays Nathalie/Mayura, and Nadja Chamack). Yeah, I made over 400 bars of soap to send to the cast and chat with several of them regularly. Not to mention things I've made for other Miraculers. I named my kittens after two of the characters. The whole thing is a gorgeous series of love stories with a super hero plot. It's about human strengths and weaknesses and different forms of love, even different kinds of obsessions. It has everything. Seriously, DM me, call me, email me, text me, I will talk to anyone about my beloved fandom. I will link you to every episode out so far and even give you the correct order for third season that for some reason known only to Disney Channel France and Family Channel Canada are being shown all willy nilly in whatever damn order they want, instead of the way Thomas and Jeremy had written them.

Here, I'll copy and paste some of what I've written about how it has saved me many times when my depression was so bad I could barely function.

thesarahlady
It is about time I did my own #thankyoumlb #whyilovemlb #whyilovemiraculous post. I've been trying to find a concise way to say everything in my heart but I can't find a way so I'm going to start by saying that as someone who suffers from Anxiety and Depression, and for whom relaxing is one sure way for me to end up in a panic spiral/panic attack. Ladybug just triggers something in my brain that allows me to forget everything and just live in this beautiful love story for 22 minutes or so. I love that it's something that I can share with my children that we actually love equally. I love that I have become even better friends with one of my college girls and now we talk everyday instead of a few days a year. I love the sweet talented kind people I've met through this fandom. I love how appreciative, loving, and engaged the American voice cast is (especially @ezraweisz , @sabrinaweisz , @selahvictor , @themelalee, @arussellactor, @cristinavox, @joeochman , @keithsilverstein , and @lisa.kay.jennings ) . I LOVE that @the_real_thomas_astruc trolls the fans by posting fake spoilers that people still fall for even though he is a known spoiler HATER (like me!) I love that the cast, crew, and creators embrace fanmade content. One of my favorite things is that it's so full of diversity in characters (in race, religion, creed, social status, and in the variety of romance.) None of the characters are one dimensional and they all have back stories and complexities. The amount of effort to keep them in character and still give us fans lots to have fun analyzing and guessing about. And I ADORE that the main characters are an overly emotional clumsy biracial girl, and a socially stunted, neglected and bullied boy (rich, handsome and sweet yes, but lonely and sad and his dad is an asshole) he's overworked and underfed and kind as all get out both in and out of the mask. I love all the cringey teenage angst because it feels so true to my own memory of that time. I love that the characters will do such HUMAN things as get all mad when someone doesn't do something they said they couldn't do but the person was hoping they would anyway. Or to swear to give up a crush
one minute only to forget that and go rushing headlong back into that crush the next. It's just perfect and makes me happy and I dont give a flying rat's behind that it's a "kid show" and it's why I work hard to make damned sure the creators know I'm grateful.❤️
Power and Ripp forever

RIP Sam and Thor forever!
Mrs.Darcs
This. Is. SPARTA!

Postby Mrs.Darcs » Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:03 pm

Power and Ripp forever

Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:20 pm

I'm so excited to have stumbled into your thing here! Well, I'm going to watch 25-6 before presenting my questions. Mainly I feel the little whatsits should know who's who and what's what for their owners, and instead they're keeping everything secret. But then sometimes my kid says, they don't even know who Cat Noir really is, or Ladybug. Then sometimes he says they know but are just bound to keep it a secret. ??? Anyway, IGNORE ME! I will post the real questions post-investigation.

I should add my kid now carries a pair of his sister's earrings around in his pocket so he can pretend the whatsit and whosit are popping out, and pretty sure the sister is unaware of this larceny etc. Ooops by writing this I just solved it and she has seized them back, lol.
Mrs.Darcs
This. Is. SPARTA!

Postby Mrs.Darcs » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:57 am

Power and Ripp forever

Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:29 pm

You have come to the right place! maybe tonight or tomorrow night I will watch those two episodes and get clear, but the above background is also extremely helpful relative to what I'm getting from my kid. He's deep into details that are not helpful for the clueless!
akiva
Melancholy Camper

Postby akiva » Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:14 pm

My son keeps speculating about what objects some of the kwamis will be.
Reel on a repeating loop
Mrs.Darcs
This. Is. SPARTA!

Postby Mrs.Darcs » Tue Sep 24, 2019 9:46 pm

Power and Ripp forever

Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:02 pm

OK I watched the big explanatory pair and a lot makes sense now. It's all very intensely chthonic except with a small cute bug representing the terrifying creative and renewing powers of the earth! I like that she starts off clumsy, and that she's very caring about other people's feelings, while our bad guy functions by sniffing out and exploiting the negative emotions. Wonder how the peafowl will play into all this, but will wait and see! Really loved the boy/stonegiant who was akumatized - is that the word and oy vey I am using that word like my kid.
Mrs.Darcs
This. Is. SPARTA!

Postby Mrs.Darcs » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:10 pm

It is the right word, and Ivan is the sweetest ever and I love him so.

Oh course, I love every character except two. I can empathize with all of the characters except one. That one is pure evil.
Power and Ripp forever

Return to “Nerd Talk”