[ANNPRMEOW] The Guard

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

[ANNPRMEOW] The Guard

Postby Kyle » Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:13 am

This is the discussion thread for the All New Nerd Pride Radio Movie of the Every Other Week!

This thread is only for those who have seen the movie recently. Commentary from people who haven't seen it will be deleted.

This Every Other Weeks Movie: The Guard, selected by Mimekiller

WARNING- ALL SPOILERS FOR THIS MOVIE ARE ALLOWED! For real, if you haven't seen it, don't read any further!

Discuss!
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: [ANNPRMEOW] The Guard

Postby Tahlvin » Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:12 am

I'll let someone else go first this time.
Wash: "This is gonna get pretty interesting."
Mal: "Define interesting."
Wash: "Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die?"
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:45 am

Oh damn! Got busy yesterday.

I thoroughly enjoyed this. Thoroughly. Did you see In Bruges? Did you love it like I did? Well, The Guard is in the same vein. Writer/director John McDonagh is the older brother of In Bruges's Martin McDonagh, so it's not that shocking.

It's just a clever, funny movie. It takes traditional cop cliches from movies and TV and pokes holes in them. It's very self aware about it, and it all works for me. My favorite example was, "There's a killer out there and you're taking a day off?" "Yeah, I've had this planned, and I find 24 hours doesn't really make a difference." There were a couple clunky ones, like the APB joke, but most of them landed for me.

Brendan Gleeson is a treasure. I thought he was great. I think Don Cheadle is always good. I thought we'd get more buddy-cop stuff than we did, but really this was Gleeson's movie from start to finish.

I like this a lot. I'd happily watch it again to introduce someone else to it. McDonagh and Gleeson also team up in Calvary, so I imagine I have to watch that coming up here too.

Good flick. Good choice.
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:09 am

I enjoyed it as well. I have not seen In Bruges, but will be adding that to my Netflix list.

Gleeson was great. I enjoyed the irreverent local cop bit. I enjoy Liam Cunningham and Mark Strong. Don Cheadle was good. I loved the bit where Gleeson pretends to be scratching his STD-infested balls in order to get the Derringer.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:32 am

In Bruges is a different movie... more subtle. But it is incredible.
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:40 pm

This movie was so great in so many ways. I loved the subtle and not so subtle ways it deconstructed cop movies. Cheadle, Strong and Cunningham were good, as I would have expected, but Gleeson's performance was out of bounds great. The plot, while a typical cop movie plot was good for the purposes of satirizing and commenting on cop movie plots (if that makes sense).

Two thoughts: 1) I especially loved the inclusion and portrayal of the mother. It's one thing to have a character that's a bit misanthropic (like Boyle), but this insight into his family and priorities gave him a real depth without wallowing in all the tiny details. It was a really nice touch that I appreciated. 2) I think Boyle was autistic or aspergers- he was literal about everything, and not in a way to be clever, but in a way that Boyle knew he could take advantage of from other people (as demonstrated by the flashback at the end to the "I don't know if you're incredibly smart or a complete idiot" scene and the big smile from Boyle). It was a real nuanced performance that Gleeson pulled off really well.

I liked this movie a lot. 4.5 Axels out of 5 Foleys.
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:26 pm

I just watched In Bruges, and I have actually seen part of it before. Just not the entire thing. Another good one from Gleeson.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:54 pm

Good point about his mom, Kyle. Totally agree that was a great touch.

I also appreciated the slow revalation of Boyle's character. At first you think he's just a shitty cop, but as the movie develops, you understand that Boyle cares about people. Drugs, prostitutes, etc... no ones getting hurt, so he doesn't care. By the time the thug confronts him with the compromising photos, you realize that the bad guy has played this all wrong. Boyle doesn't give a shit about the pics, but he's deeply disturbed that this guy roughed up the girl. Priorities.
Zombie
The Zombdigitty

Postby Zombie » Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:13 pm

Great movie. Love the buddy cop dark comedy mashup. The writing was exceptionally witty with tons of quotable lines. I was cracking up and I had already seen it, albeit a while ago.

As others have mentioned, Gleeson is amazing. Pair him with any other actor/actress and it makes the scene that much better. Cheadle was good opposite Gleeson. A bit reserved from a comedy perspective, but necessary to keep the "buddy cop" dynamic a bit on the rails. Watching Liam Cunningham again felt nice post Game of Thrones. Get the man more work now that his commitment to that show is over. Mark Strong is his usual, solid self.

Great pick. Makes me want to go watch Calvary, which I have not seen yet. Has anyone else? Is it as good as The Guard?
buckett
Orange Troubleshooter

Postby buckett » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:26 am

fun movie. sends up the genre by pointing out that the only acceptable reaction to 99% of the banal, ugly crimes we see every day is bored resignation, making brendan gleeson about the best choice possible to play the lead role. cheadle is perfect too as the tryhard american straight man.

i would have preferred letting gleeson go a little more fully Bad Lieutenant; they're well-acted, but i could have done without the more-or-less serious scenes with his mother and especially with his partner's ex-wife. i also didn't remember just how little cheadle has to do in this. all that said, still a solid, funny movie that i enjoyed rewatching.

the minor running joke of the american baffled by all these inter-UK regional grudges is a good one.
mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:37 pm

Hey guys! Glad you enjoyed my pick! I obviously love the film for all the above reasons and was happy for a chance to re-visit it. if you want ANOTHER send up of the traditional buddy cop movie may I suggest Bon Cop Bad Cop(parts 1 and 2)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxMuCyzXgC4

On the subject of Calvary...its just a much more somber film as a man explores his faith and his standing in a small town. It does have some sharply written moments but don't expect that many quips. still quite good tho

Return to “Nerd Talk”