Uncomfortable Topics

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Mike
Boy of Summer

Uncomfortable Topics

Postby Mike » Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:15 pm

I'm getting all kinds of advice from media on how to handle awkward political discussions at holiday family gatherings, and I think they all miss the point. They all seem to want to give specific talking points that will counter the fake news your relatives believe in. But I feel like that's counterproductive. Your opponent's fake news has already accounted for your talking points and they have counterpoints ready. Stlaemate.

My goal would be to get through the holidays and NOT discuss any of it, but sometimes it is inevitable. So I'm trying to ready myself with pivots. I dont want to argue the specifics of impeachment or the emoluments clause. I'd rather make an emotional (and fact based) point we can all agree on and be outraged together.

For example, no matter what specific they bring up, respond with, "Yeah but that doesn't even matter... what bothers me is that Congress fought so hard for this tax cut, and now Jeff Bezos and Amazon paid ZERO in taxes last year. FedEx spent millions lobbying for that tax cut, and their taxes went from 1.4 billion to ZERO. No, less than zero, because they got a rebate."

Maybe if we all share outrage over that, throw in, "Doesn't sound much like draining the swamp."

I'd like more points that resonate with the, "Well I dont like Trump at all, but he's better than the Democrats" crowd. I know I'm going to be forced into some of these, and I'm not quick enough on my feet to not say something stupid.
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Re: Uncomfortable Topics

Postby Kyle » Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:40 pm

First of all, I agree with your original point- engaging in a topic with people who won't allow for their minds to change (which often includes ourselves) is pointless and another example of how we're all being goaded into a "with us or agin us" mentality. As Mike said, "Stlaemate."

My go to is to just get up and walk away when stuff like this comes up. I'll even be a bit rude if the comments are directed right to me by saying, "Oh, I don't know about that, but I'm going to get another drink," and then walk away. But if I can't get away because we're all sitting at a table like hostages, then I make a point to laugh when I hear stuff like that. And then if someone says, "What's funny?" I just give the, "Huh? Nothing. What?" routine.

But... I feel you. So here's other things you can bring up to unite Trumpers with Nontrumpers:

"Well, I don't know what the right answer is, but we need to do something about the fact that Aunt Junie's diabetes medicine is costing her $1250 a month. And you know she's on a fixed income! And insurance! What's insurance for if it costs that much? Big Pharma is just gouging everyone they can. Something has to happen 'cause she has to have her diabetes medicine."

"I'll tell you what's not right- these tech companies spying on everything we do. I swear... to... god... I had my phone locked and was talking with a coworker about how my grill is broken and I need a new one. Ten minutes later I'm checking on Facebook and what do I see? Yeah, an ad for a new grill. Now are you telling me that's coincidence? Hell no. My phone is sitting there spying on me and selling my conversations to advertisers! Well if that's not what's happening, how do you explain that?"

"Trump's fearmongering over the wall is just fake news. What we need to focus on is more positive things, like this gay wedding I just officiated for this sweet muslim couple that moved in next to the elementary school. Hmmm? Oh yeah, I'm ordained through the Agnostical Church of Science and Reason- it's an online thing."

Okay, maybe not the last one. But sincerely, a good pivot to "Everything's so negative and we never focus on the great things going on. I feel it's easy to lose sight of how wonderful a lot of things are right now, like...." and then have three heartwarming, or inspirational stories in your back pocket.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:50 pm

What I'm hoping for is that we all just play Secret Hitler and drink beer and the topic never comes up. But I agree with all your points.
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
FlameBlade
Orange Troubleshooter
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby FlameBlade » Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:44 pm

Heracles. Fists. Pantheon.

Clue in ancient Greece.
mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:10 pm

This is my first thanksgiving with the chicas family so I'm not sure what weird dynamics come up. I'm told that Uncle Jim(early 70s, hippie, grows weed) can really get into it with Daniel(brother in law) but that's not a every event kind of deal.
DMDarcs
No-Life Loser

Postby DMDarcs » Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:33 am

My dad in the same story referenced how awful it was to have a flaming homo as a boss, the jungle bunny music playing from next door, and how one of the houses he was looking at in Philadelphia kept pot-bellied pigs outside, because A-Rabs weren't allowed to be within 500 ft of them. This was directly after dinner, so I just pretended to be asleep on the couch.
mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:01 pm

hahah I love the notion that since people of Islamic fate don't eat pork for religious reasons that it has become litterly KRPYTONITE, like they run away from it screaming in all forms haha.

I also once read a Tom Clancy book when a Islamic terrorists spree shoots the mall of america and Jack Ryans son murks him and stuffs a football in his mouth as the ultmate own.
DMDarcs
No-Life Loser

Postby DMDarcs » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:22 pm

I believe that there used to be square bullets made to shoot Muslims as well, because...uh...they were thought to be geometric vampires? Let me look that up. Ah. It was because the square bullets were believed to cause more damage than round ones, so when fired at Muslims, the extra pain would equate with, "Hey, look how much better Christian civilization is then ours. We should convert."
mimekiller
Standard Bearer

Postby mimekiller » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:51 pm

well huh that was a interesting wiki dive

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puckle_gun

Return to “Nerd Talk”