Are you prepping and if so how?

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.

Yes, I am the Vault-Dweller and I can live for years in my bunker. Bring on the Apocalypse!
No votes
Yes, I have about a week's worth of food and supplies.
44%
Yes, I have a few things.
No votes
No, but I mean to.
11%
No, I don't care.
44%

Total votes: 9
Ronster
Maverick's Wingman
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Ronster » Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:48 am

Well, are ya?
My wife and I are building up our pantry and a few dry goods.

So far our kit has:
mac and cheese kits
spaghetti noodles
sauce for said noodles
sugar
minute rice packets
peanut butter
gatorade drink mix
water - gallon jugs (noreally necessary because I have a spring as well as 2 streams on my land
paper goods
cleaner/ sanitizer (undiluted)
접근금지야 이젠 접근금지야
이젠 접근금지야 너가 사과하기 전까지
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Are you prepping and if so how?

Postby Tahlvin » Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:08 am

Not really doing anything special. We normally have a couple weeks worth of food in our basement freezer at any given time, and usually an extra month or so worth of prescription medications, so we're not particularly worried about staying alive and well if we need to self-quarantine. And compared to a lot of people, our exposure is limited: while our son attends the local public high school, I work from home and my wife is a homemaker, so we're both pretty much already self-quarantined most days. So our big risk of exposure is our son.

If shit goes bad enough that electricity fails and we lose our frozen food supply, and cannot boil water for consumption, then we're truly in a Walking Dead type situation and it won't matter how prepped we are.
Wash: "This is gonna get pretty interesting."
Mal: "Define interesting."
Wash: "Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die?"
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:04 pm

We also usually have a week or two worth of food available. My only prepping was to make sure we have basic OTC cold and flu meds in the house, plus I bought backup bags of dog and cat food. Normally, I don't buy pet food until the old bag is out, but now we're going to always have an extra bag on hand.
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
Ronster
Maverick's Wingman

Postby Ronster » Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:43 pm

접근금지야 이젠 접근금지야
이젠 접근금지야 너가 사과하기 전까지
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:16 pm

We normally eat a lot of fresh produce and non-frozen meat or protein, so if we get to that "please stay home for two weeks" public health instruction, I wanted to have canned veggies and fruit and protein sources. And vitamins. I don't know how we can go comfortably without milk for two weeks, so right now I just want to always have tons of milk on hand. Milk addicts here. Coffee is also something I don't want to run out of.

Plus the younger kids might be somewhat freaked by the experience, so I wanted things for baking cookies and whatnot, or pre-packaged snacks, to pull out as a pleasant diversion if they have to eat canned soup for days.

Pet food and kitty litter is a must; I don't want to run out of cat toilet and have that be the thing that forces me into a store. Likewise, tampons. Tissues. The usual comfort items for colds and coughs. Laundry detergent and disinfectant. We set up a washing area so the first thing upon entry is: wash, remove shoes and outergarments, bags. Then I disinfect all that stuff and wipe down the car handles and interior.

Odds are high someone will get sick, but the main thing is to cut those odds a little and minimize chances that I carry it along to the parents.
akiva
Melancholy Camper

Postby akiva » Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:49 am

Since the first cases in Maryland are in my county, my wife is freaking a bit. So I'm going to the grocery store after work to stock up.
Reel on a repeating loop
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:14 am

We're near the main campus of the state university (with a large international student population) and their academic hospital, which is where the first case in our state, and one of the first cases in the nation, occurred.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:47 am

Things are getting vaguely crazy here, but at the same time most people are still just going around in public doing their normal business. So which is it? Should we be social distancing? The big problem is being terrified to infect my parents accidentally.
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:17 pm

Just don't attend CPAC or go on a cruise, and you'll probably be okay. Right?
Ronster
Maverick's Wingman

Postby Ronster » Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:58 pm

When did toilet paper become a survival need to the point of hoarding it? It doth seem quite silly

Also I think it must have entered our hive minds through a movie, such as Zombieland. I seem to recall in some movie a funny thing that everyone was looking for toilet paper. what's next? Hoarding Twinkies ?

I am looking at purchasing a bidet conversion kit for one of the toilets...just to be cautious. Anyone else?
I think Kyle has one because it was he that put the thought in my head about 2 years ago.

I went to Academy Sports & Outdoors and there were 9 people in line wanting to buy guns and countless others buying lots of bullets. *sigh*

here comes Mad Max: Charmin Warrior :headslap:
접근금지야 이젠 접근금지야
이젠 접근금지야 너가 사과하기 전까지
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:13 pm

My husband's first thought in this situation is guns. Mine is protein shakes. Not sure what lesson to draw from this, but those were our first thoughts.
Ronster
Maverick's Wingman

Postby Ronster » Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:36 pm

I picked up rifle rounds only(30-06,30-30), no AR stuff. I keep a good store on hand. We have a whole herd of deer and I might as well bag one while it is still a little cool out. put the meat to good use.

I will be putting up a steel gate at the end of the driveway I think. gates and locks only stop honest people though.
접근금지야 이젠 접근금지야
이젠 접근금지야 너가 사과하기 전까지
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:15 pm

All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:10 am

PICKLES
Ronster
Maverick's Wingman

Postby Ronster » Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:05 am

Pickles is a good idea..

Add to that list: Salt, coconut oil. vegetable oil, powdered milk(for cooking) flour , sugar

I need to buy: camping propane cylinders and refill my spare propane cyl. for the grill.

5 gallons of diesel for my tractor.
접근금지야 이젠 접근금지야
이젠 접근금지야 너가 사과하기 전까지
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:37 am

Propane for grill is an excellent idea. We haven't checked it for a while but warmer weather is coming.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:07 pm

Super happy: husband now able to work from home at least for a while!
Ronster
Maverick's Wingman

Postby Ronster » Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:57 pm

접근금지야 이젠 접근금지야
이젠 접근금지야 너가 사과하기 전까지
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:46 pm

A little further into the journey of discovery and it turns out the main things we eat in this house are cheese, tortilla chips, salsa, banana bread, apples, rice krispies, oatmeal, ice cream, pickles, diet Coke (one person) and milk. That's it. That's our diet, if we judge only by the things we run out of.
Ronster
Maverick's Wingman

Postby Ronster » Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:06 am

Ours is milk mostly and hot dogs it would seem.
접근금지야 이젠 접근금지야
이젠 접근금지야 너가 사과하기 전까지

Return to “Nerd Talk”