Rate this food!

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
DMDarcs
No-Life Loser
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Rate this food!

Postby DMDarcs » Sat May 23, 2020 7:58 pm

Horseradish: 65. I like the taste, but don't often have a need for it. Fun fact: when I was a baby, my father would feed me spoonfuls of prepared horseradish. It probably contributed to my tolerance of spicy foods.

White Chocolate: 50. I'll eat it, but I'm not often seeking it out.
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Sat May 23, 2020 8:13 pm

Horseradish- 45

White Chocolate- 47
Phoebe
Canned Helsing
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Phoebe » Sat May 23, 2020 10:46 pm

Horseradish 95
Delicious. Essential for the Polish palate. Should be fed to children early and often to ensure proper aesthetic development.

White Chocolate 18
It's tasty but whatever, eh. Good in a truffle but favorite form is in chocolate chips for cookies or Godiva white chocolate liqueur - I have just remembered I have some of this and we should probably finish it off. Good on ice cream or drizzled into cake.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:49 pm

Have reached the stage of the gradeschool growth chart and pandemic living when we just keep the flat griddle out all day for sandwiches and fried egg. Please rate respectively:
Fried eggs over easy (fully cooked but soft and runny)
Fried eggs over medium (soft, not runny)
Scrambled eggs
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:00 pm

Fried eggs over easy (fully cooked but soft and runny) -- 95
I love eggs. And an over easy egg is easily the best kind of egg in the all-around-egg category.

Fried eggs over medium (soft, not runny) -- 78
I love eggs. Still awesome. I like runny much better, but I'll take over medium... as long as the yolk is still soft, I'm happy.

Scrambled eggs -- 86
I seriously like eggs. I'll happily eat scrambled eggs plain, but how much better with some heavy pepper and maybe hot sauce or salsa? Mixed in with some southern fried potatoes and crumbled bacon? Loaded onto sandwich? Whatever... I just like eggs.
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:05 pm

Amen. My rating is slightly different but the motivating principle is the same:
I love eggs.

Fried over easy: 82
Fried over medium: 86
Scrambled: 99
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:25 pm

Fried over medium: 95
Fried over easy: 93
Scrambled: 90

Surprised you didn't also break down the consistency of the scrambled eggs as well: runny vs. drier. I prefer my scrambled eggs not runny, but not so dry that they've started to brown.

For fried eggs, I prefer over-medium, where the white part is solid and not runny, but the yolk is still soft and runny. Over-hard (white and yolk are both solid, and they usually break the yolk while frying) rates an 80.
Wash: "This is gonna get pretty interesting."
Mal: "Define interesting."
Wash: "Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die?"
Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Postby Eliahad » Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:07 pm

"What are you going to do?"
"I'm going to roll an 8."
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:59 pm

Same; poached is a 98 or possibly 99.

I may be lost on the whole scrambled egg thing because there is in my mind but one way to make them, and then product is moist, fluffed up poufy, and never runny or brown. Brrrr! No brown crusties on eggs. Just a soft fluffy smoothly cooked light yellow. My mom made her scrambled eggs French style with milk so that's my mandate and it shall not vary.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:24 pm

Poached is great, but over-easy is better and easier. Except for eggs benedict.

Scrambled should never be hard or crispy or browned, but it could be soft and custardy if you cook it slow and easy. I prefer firm and slightly most, but definitely a solid and definitely not crispy.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:39 pm

Yessssss
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:05 pm

Garbanzo beans / chickpeas?

I would give these a big score in almost any format: cold on a salad (72), in chana masala (84), etc. But my favorite way (96!) is lightly toasted in a spice mix without going all the way toward a chana masala sauce: cumin seeds, hing, garlic, onion powder, a chili pepper, cajun seasoning. Yum yum yum.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:30 pm

85. I can think of no food situation where I might reasonably expect chickpeas that said peas don't improve the experience.
bralbovsky
Twisted Sister

Postby bralbovsky » Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:54 pm

So, missed eggs. Pretty universal that eggs are an A+ item regardless of competence or method.
Had 1000 year old eggs, salt duck eggs, everything but ostrich. Tough to beat. Basically could live on eggs and sweet potatoes.

Never a fan of chick peas. Went through a hummus phase, but something in it gives me hives unless it's super fresh.

"Before enlightenment, you chop the wood and carry the water.
After enlightenment, you chop the wood and carry the water."
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:31 pm

Eggs and sweet potato is SUCH an ideal combo! I like a little spinach in there too, three color fiesta!

Return to “Nerd Talk”