Republicans

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Republicans

Postby Phoebe » Thu May 21, 2020 6:57 pm

Their guy is babbling about the good genes again, this time about noted racist and anti-semite Henry Ford's good bloodlines. Good blood? W. T. F. Republicans?

The continued grim marvel is that these racists are never sending us a beautiful, accomplished person, no. The "good blood" apparently produces nothing but Ugly, both body and mind. Yet they are so proud of it! How peculiar it is, this racist shit.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Republicans

Postby Phoebe » Mon May 25, 2020 3:08 pm

Here's an interesting article, but not because it's a good article: https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... nt/612031/ The author is puzzled over the paradox that so many men he perceives to value traditionally manly traits are enthralled by Trump, who is so very unmanly and so very much an elderly, effeminate toddler in all the ways that count.

Our author here has put his finger right on the button but is not able to push it, because he fails to grasp that his dreamy version of masculinity is a myth, and the traditional values he thinks these guys have are not the ones they actually prefer. Where is the tough, gritty, masculine Republican role model that this guy assumes working class voters appreciate? Is it Mitch McConnell or Ted Cruz or Marco Rubio? Does he even remember the absolutely tragic efforts of Paul Ryan to look swole? Anybody in the R camp like that who was left in Trump world, say McMaster, is long gone by now.

Trump and his Republican party represent a crisis of masculinity: hollowed out of all the real values that once supported the ideal, men are being reduced to petty, sexist, easily aggrieved little bullies. Grab them by the pussy is the rallying cry for these actual pussies. Where are these Republican alpha males? They think Putin is one, that's how screwed up they have become.
bralbovsky
Twisted Sister

Postby bralbovsky » Mon May 25, 2020 3:19 pm

Not to conflate threads, but these are exactly the people who have trouble with feminists.

It's nothing to do with the vision the feminists have, but with their own overweening phobic insecurities and deep attachment to myth over reality.

This is a result, I believe, of a long history of railing about invented problems - to which there are, of course, no real solutions, because no real causes.
The outcome can bring only tears.
"Before enlightenment, you chop the wood and carry the water.
After enlightenment, you chop the wood and carry the water."
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Mon May 25, 2020 6:45 pm

I find it sad on that level, yes. These people don't like real men. They don't even know what an alpha male is. They think a manly man goes and shoots a goddamn leopard or something. I have been blessed that most of the men in my life were actual moral paradigms and "alpha males" - I say that because I think it's a b******* concept but if it were a real thing, these people were it. The kind of people we are remembering today, because they were so badass and courageous, but who were also tender and caring and good. Today's little sexist Republicans wouldn't know what that was if their lives depended on it, which sadly they do.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:48 am

Matt Gaetz massively self-owned in a congressional debate, again, as usual, but this time was special because it appears the reason he was bringing up the subject of kids so indignantly is that he urgently needed to disclose to the world via Twitter that the teenage Cuban boy who lives with him is in fact his son, even though he appears to have let this boy live with him without going through any of the appropriate legal proceedings, repeatedly referred to him as a helper or local student or assistant or page but never as a son, and the boy has a (different, official) father in Florida already. Corroboration of Gaetz's story was helpfully provided by Pam Bondi, that same one who received AG campaign contributions from Trump that have been "questioned". She revealed a picture of Gaetz and his son/helper with "her" dog, which she had refused to return to its rightful owner, a hurricane Katrina victim who was separated from her dogs during evacuation, until the owner tracked down the dog and had to sue Bondi to make her give it back. You really cannot make any of this up.
akiva
Melancholy Camper

Postby akiva » Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:42 pm

The Gaetz thing is just fucking weird.
Reel on a repeating loop
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:09 pm

The more one learns about it, the weirder it becomes. When he had his little fussy fit in Congress the other day, presumably he knew there was a People magazine profile of him and his "son/mentee" (to use the parallel words that the kid uses) lined up and ready to roll, or else he immediately sought to create one. Why?

For some reason the associated discovery/allegation I found most shocking was that Pam Bondi wouldn't give a hurricane Katrina victim's dog back until she was sued (and still refers to it as her dog, retrospectively). It was such a weird parallel to Matt Gaetz allegedly keeping his girlfriend's brother as a son/mentee, when apparently at that point the real father still shared legal custody with the girlfriend/sister who allegedly had left the scene. An interesting factoid for Mike is that a former attorney general of his state who supposedly had a bright political future became super friendly with Pam and made various public appearances with her before mysteriously dropping out of political life altogether.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:18 pm

I would say the majority of my acquaintances are mad that Obama didn't try to push all the way to a public option for healthcare. The ACA was insufficient. But it's turning out in one way to have been quite helpful that Obama essentially stole the moderate Republican playbook for healthcare insurance reform, retaining private insurance as the mainstay of the system. There is no longer any positive Republican health care plan whatsoever. At this point the only thing they can do is insist that they will always protect preexisting conditions even as they are fighting tooth and nail to eliminate any protections for pre-existing conditions. That's it, that's the plan.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:01 pm

If Obama had pushed harder for a public option, there would be no ACA. No Republicans voted for it, and all of these concessions he made were to get Democrats on board. So, now as much as I hate the term, we've moved the Overton Window, and a decade later, ACA is now the conservative position.
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:59 pm

Yep, now that this foothold is established, people do not want to go back to the bs they were dealing with before!
FlameBlade
Orange Troubleshooter

Postby FlameBlade » Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:50 am

Death cult, pretty much.
Heracles. Fists. Pantheon.

Clue in ancient Greece.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:25 pm

Oh dear. The mood among the Republicans today is very big indeed due to announcements about the upcoming NFL season. Maybe they should have let Kap do his extraordinarily quiet, humble protest without freaking out. Just maybe. But no regrets in that crowd!
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:56 am

"I opened the bars too soon" a stunningly honest admission for any politician, but still imperfect, because it ignores the uncomfortable reality: bars (amongst many packed indoor places) will remain potential covid kindling until this is over.
akiva
Melancholy Camper

Postby akiva » Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:17 am

You've got to love the fact that Trump has a rally in NH, but the governor isn't attending because of Covid. So it's okay for Trump voters to risk illness but not the governor. Another example of Republicans feeling that rules are important, but they don't apply to me.

The best part is that governor actually said that he's not attending because, you know, he's governor and that's important.
Reel on a repeating loop
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:33 pm

We can't have the governor getting sick, just normal people. Those people can get sick and die.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:40 pm

The combination of information I just discovered upon finally reading the news after a few days.

Republican senators skipping the convention due to fear of losing their red-state re-elections or their spot in the better-weather destination of the afterlife.
Plus...
Gorsuch agreeing that half of Oklahoma is a reservation.

I don't even know what's happening anymore. Who are we and why are we here?
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:07 pm

Gorsuch is a textualist. Firmly conservative, but more important to him... a textualist. And the text in Constitution regarding treaties is unequivocal. The text in the treaties themselves are unequivocal. It's their land.

Same reason he agreed that LGBTQIA people are protected by the Constitution.

Cavanaugh and Thomas will reliably find arguments to justify whatever the official conservative position is, but the people arguing before the court know that textual interpretation is the key to Gorsuch's heart.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:16 pm

OMG someone please do South Dakota now!
akiva
Melancholy Camper

Postby akiva » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:12 am

All it took for Chuck Woolery to acknowledge that Coronoa virus isn't a lie perpetrated by the CDC and Democrats is his son getting infected.
Reel on a repeating loop
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:38 am

And considering that Chuck is 79, his son is probably no spring chicken either. I imagine this is extremely scary for him.

Return to “Nerd Talk”