We're going back to SPACE!

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Bonefish
Harvard Dropout
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

We're going back to SPACE!

Postby Bonefish » Wed May 27, 2020 10:56 am

In about 4 or 5 hours, we're going to launch astronauts from american soil, into orbit, for the first time in 9 years! Is anyone else stoked about this?
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Re: We're going back to SPACE!

Postby Tahlvin » Wed May 27, 2020 12:36 pm

Hell yes!
Wash: "This is gonna get pretty interesting."
Mal: "Define interesting."
Wash: "Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die?"
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Wed May 27, 2020 12:50 pm

I'm hoping to watch the launch. We need this. I'm hoping it goes flawlessly and the reduction in launch costs means a more vigorous US space program.

Getting people excited about space again would also be cool
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
Bonefish
Harvard Dropout

Postby Bonefish » Wed May 27, 2020 2:08 pm

I'm watching the livestream right now, and one of the things that's amazing is how sleek and high tech the controls look: touch screens and a much smaller amount of displays and buttons and switches than the Shuttle. Which, i mean, it's 2020, not 1979. But, dang, that's a big deal.
bralbovsky
Twisted Sister

Postby bralbovsky » Thu May 28, 2020 5:50 am

Love the miracle of solid-state...much more reliable, maybe zero moving parts...

One (maybe the only) downside: if it fails, there's only system redundancy to save you...no more cobbling together a solution from spare parts.
"Before enlightenment, you chop the wood and carry the water.
After enlightenment, you chop the wood and carry the water."
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:03 am

The launch was awesome, the docking was awesome, and I'm super excited because I got to take my youngest kid outside and watch the space station fly across the sky one evening. We could not believe how large it looks, how bright - I was thinking it might be difficult to identify, but not at all. So cool!
Bonefish
Harvard Dropout

Postby Bonefish » Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:07 am

I've still got butteflies in my stomach until Bob and Doug get back(Chris too, for that matta!). But this looks like a bright new opportunity, allowing more science to be collected from the ISS for the last few years of it's lifespan.

Return to “Nerd Talk”