How do you write phone numbers?

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Mike
Boy of Summer

How do you write phone numbers?

Postby Mike » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:48 am

Just curious.

I always write the full ten digits, and I separate the number with dots. For example 202.456.1111 (the White House). Google and Verizon still use the traditional parentheses/hyphen (202) 465-1111. Lots of places just use hyphens. I've only seen a handful of other people who use dots like I do, but the first time I saw it a few years ago, it just looked cleaner and more modern to me, so I adopted it.
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Re: How do you write phone numbers?

Postby Kyle » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:02 am

Hyphens only: 202-867-5309
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Tahlvin » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:02 am

Depends on the context, but I usually use hyphens, and occasionally use parentheses/hyphen format.
Wash: "This is gonna get pretty interesting."
Mal: "Define interesting."
Wash: "Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die?"
FlameBlade
Orange Troubleshooter

Postby FlameBlade » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:24 pm

Handwriting, hypenated. Typing? With periods.
Heracles. Fists. Pantheon.

Clue in ancient Greece.
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:48 pm

When writing it for design, like web sites, I prefer dots ala 202.456.1111
I agree it looks cleaner! Until it becomes the norm, tho, when I write it in conversation I use dashes.
And I always liked the (202) visually, having to Shift+9 and Shift+0 my fingers say no thanks.
bralbovsky
Twisted Sister

Postby bralbovsky » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:52 pm

Love the simplicity of the dots.
Eventually, we'll go there, once oldsters let go of the area code being an addon
for formal things I still use parentheses, but the special characters messes occasionally with code.
Confusion over it will cause some tech tragedy in the future, or at least be a MacGuffin in a sci-fi film
"Before enlightenment, you chop the wood and carry the water.
After enlightenment, you chop the wood and carry the water."
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:54 am

A mix of ways, as the spirit moves us: dots, dashes, or one big uninterrupted string, which I go to more and more.
DMDarcs
No-Life Loser

Postby DMDarcs » Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:01 am

Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:19 am

poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:35 pm

Dots between numbers, two spaces after a sentence, and oxford commas!
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:09 pm

Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:13 pm

It's not just that two spaces after a sentence is superfluous. Although it is. The better point is that it is agreed upon by the printing world and the word processors and the font designers that two spaces is aesthetically less pleasing than one. It's just a fact. Case in point: this post. How many spaces did I put after each sentence? One? Two? Five? Yeah... some have five. And you know what--you can't tell, because phpBB removes the superfluous spaces, so all of them display as if there was only the single space. As God intended.

You are typing those spaces and defending their usage, because it's just too hard for you to break the habit. That's okay. You don't have to. Your technology is doing it for you.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:48 pm

Phbbpphb is not my God, I shall not bow before this false idol! Though I do click on the link to it about two times every time I try to post.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:55 pm

Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:07 pm

Microsoft is not my God! I will not bow to this false idol. Stop letting Bill Gates inject you with tracking chips! That's what the single spaces are.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:21 pm

It's okay to be different. I'm sorry you're struggling with this, but just because your opinion differs from the vast majority of experts, does not make you wrong. It's a matter of opinion, and your opinion is in the minority, but still just as valid as any other.
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:33 am

Fascists.
Ronster
Maverick's Wingman

Postby Ronster » Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:35 am

I use numbers with dots
I picked it up from our overseas customers email signatures
접근금지야 이젠 접근금지야
이젠 접근금지야 너가 사과하기 전까지

Return to “Nerd Talk”