The NRA

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
akiva
Melancholy Camper
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

The NRA

Postby akiva » Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:41 am

In a only vaguely related note, my sister used to work in the food industry, and used to talk about going to the NRA convention every year. I was horrified until I found it was the National Restaurant Association. Culinary Institute of America has a similar problem. As does Nerd Pride Radio.
Reel on a repeating loop
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Re: The NRA

Postby Phoebe » Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:50 pm

I like to think that NPR and NPR are two equally top-notch organizations.

But yes holy crap to the other thing. A long time coming. One wonders if this case has anything to do with the reluctance of Republican politicians to cross their dark master.
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:44 pm

For purely political reasons, I hate the timing of this. What a gift to Donald Trump- scare all the moderates gun lovers who had doubts, and now they flock back. I don't know. The NRA is terrible and corrupt, but the timing of this is just terrible.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:04 pm

Do you think there are any advantages of having this lawsuit in terms of getting access to information they want?
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:11 pm

I thought the same as Kyle, and I can only hope that combined with the other ongoing investigations, we can paint a much larger picture of entrenched corruption. But it'll be tough.
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
FlameBlade
Orange Troubleshooter

Postby FlameBlade » Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:29 pm

On other hand, NRA would be so wrapped up in this that they won't be able to coordinate with Russians as easily. Too visible.
Heracles. Fists. Pantheon.

Clue in ancient Greece.
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:04 pm

I agree the timing is not really the greatest. And I'm not sure how realistic it is to expect the organization to be dissolved. There certainly seem to be some suspect dealings that deserve to be brought to the light of day.
Wash: "This is gonna get pretty interesting."
Mal: "Define interesting."
Wash: "Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die?"
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:35 pm

$64 million in charitable donations misused and embezzled by the top officers of the organization over many years is definitely suspect. And it does feel kinda like a giant con game.
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:13 pm

Maybe they just need a way to go digging even deeper into their finances with the court's approval? My vague understanding is that the NRA is probably one way that Russian money comes into our elections.

Return to “Nerd Talk”