Nebraska: You have a Sasse problem

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Nebraska: You have a Sasse problem

Postby Kyle » Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:24 pm

Ben Sasse is a fool. I know he has his defenders. And I understand, but don't agree, with the appeal to him before. He was this brash, "I speak my mind" type. But the more I see of this guy, the more I find not to like. Forget his ridiculous, hungover-looking commencement speech. Forget that he voted against the COVID relief package. But now.. at this time where there's many important things going on.. his issue is college football.

I don't know what to say. Oh wait. I do.

College football players are unpaid. They are brought into this system because they have a dream (almost always unrealistically) that they will be paid in the future for the punishment they put in today. So even though many smaller schools and leagues (where the focus is more on academic success) have cancelled their seasons, and the big conferences are now going to follow suit- Sasse puts his two cents in: Hey man! It's safer in the structured environment of a football program than it is if you just let these kids live without that structure!

Go fuck yourself Ben Sasse. These aren't toddlers. They're fucking adults. And your transparent, hollow concern about the welfare of players is horseshit. You're concerned about money. College football is a $7 billion per year industry. And for some states that have put all their eggs in the basket of college football money, the impact of a cancelled college season can be severe. So don't pretend it's about your deep concern over the welfare of college athletes. You're just another shill for big money, you lying hypocritical bag of cow farts.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Nebraska: You have a Sasse problem

Postby Phoebe » Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:54 pm

I have no wish to defend this man, who deserves whatever criticism you would like to dish out. However, I honestly think that he is mentally ill or has a serious drug or alcohol problem. If you observe his behavior over time, something is really wrong with him and has been for several months now minimum. Again none of this is an excuse for his being a jackass because he knows better, but something is really wrong with him.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:56 pm

On a separate note let me just say that there is almost no university benefiting financially from its athletic programs. If football gets cut then it seriously hurts the athletic program, but football is almost never providing positive funding to the rest of the school. Usually it's the way that all the other sports are floated, and a whole ecosystem of employees who are connected to athletics.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:28 pm

Sasse is bravely willing to stand up Trump on his new unconstitutional executive orders... now that his primary is safely behind him and his reelection is assured.
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:25 am

He needs one of the remaining decent Republicans to run against him, but too late now. Instead people are going to have to avoid the amnesia for 6 years, when he'll be pretending none of this ever happened. But we know it did. Even though I poured my milk into the coffee cup this morning before there was coffee in it, my brain isn't deteriorating so much that I'll forget what Sasse did these last four years. And prior. It galls me beyond belief that he wrote a book about morals. Physician, heal thyself!
Ronster
Maverick's Wingman

Postby Ronster » Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:48 am

I am sick of football being the tail that wags the dog of our schools.

This is all about money. Football money is more important than academic studies our colleges.

Funny thing is my oldest daughter played intramural flag football at Ga Tech. The team was for "fields" and "Hopkins" dorms...their team name was "Flopkins" and of course their mascot was an owl with glasses.

So...I can say my daughter played football at Ga Tech :raspberry:

Also she had the honor of being patient zero in HvZ (Humans versus Zombies)
접근금지야 이젠 접근금지야
이젠 접근금지야 너가 사과하기 전까지
Stan
Ninja Carpenter

Postby Stan » Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:50 am

Return to “Nerd Talk”