How do you write dates?

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Ronster
Maverick's Wingman
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

How do you write dates?

Postby Ronster » Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:40 am

How do you write dates? words? dashes? slashes? Julian date?

Me: 08-15-2020 I used to use a two digit year, but the 2020 and requirements at work have spilled over into my personal habits
접근금지야 이젠 접근금지야
이젠 접근금지야 너가 사과하기 전까지
FlameBlade
Orange Troubleshooter

Re: How do you write dates?

Postby FlameBlade » Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:48 am

Of course, if I am creating notes for projects. It makes it easily sortable and searchable.
Heracles. Fists. Pantheon.

Clue in ancient Greece.
Ronster
Maverick's Wingman

Postby Ronster » Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:11 am

접근금지야 이젠 접근금지야
이젠 접근금지야 너가 사과하기 전까지
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:43 am

I'm with Flame... except I put dashes in.

Okay... not exactly true. When writing dates (on a check or when signing something) I use slashes and a 2-digit year (8/15/20).

When typing, I go yyyy-mm-dd for exactly the reasons Flame says... this actually allows you to sort by date when put into a filename or in a context that doesn't directly recognize dates. The hyphens are probably extraneous, but they make it easier to process for humans.
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
FlameBlade
Orange Troubleshooter

Postby FlameBlade » Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:53 am

And furthermore, removes ambiguity when it comes to communication. You almost never see yyyy dd mm.
Heracles. Fists. Pantheon.

Clue in ancient Greece.
Stan
Ninja Carpenter

Postby Stan » Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:36 am

Huh. When I put dates in file names, I still put them at the end. But I'm used to sorting by date.

I do mm/dd/yy. Not because it's better but it's what people are used to and communication is important. Entry systems with other methods have higher error rates because people resort to their norm without thinking about it (unless you also have international users who are used to dd/mm/yy, then you're screwed whatever set up you use because some will mess it up).

I like SAS's date9 format (15Aug2020) as it is clear what part is what.
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:42 am

On checks or when signing and dating documents, it's mm/dd/yyyy. When taking notes on the computer or using in computer file names, its yyyy-mm-dd or yyyymmdd, for the same reasons mentioned by Mike and Flameblade (been doing it that way since the early 90s, although at that point it was yymmdd because of limits on filename length). When referencing dates in emails, I'll usually spell out the month in order to avoid ambiguity.
Wash: "This is gonna get pretty interesting."
Mal: "Define interesting."
Wash: "Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die?"

Return to “Nerd Talk”