Halloween in the Time of Covid

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Halloween in the Time of Covid

Postby poorpete » Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:56 am

What y'all doing for Halloween?

Here's what the CDC recommends, which is surprisingly direct and strict given their recent waffling on everything else.
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nc ... #halloween

I think our top priorities are
1. get candy
2. show off kids' costumes in public

I'm ok with some kind of Easter-ish candy hunting around the house to statisfy #1 but #2 is tough without the community agreeing to something fun but safe.
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Halloween in the Time of Covid

Postby Tahlvin » Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:49 am

Our youngest is a junior in high school, so we're past the wearing-costumes-and-getting-candy phase. And this year, we're not planning on handing out any candy. So our Halloween this year will involve turning off all lights and closing all the blinds and watching a movie of some sort.

Our son may end up going to a corn maze with his girlfriend or something like that in the weeks leading up to Halloween.
Wash: "This is gonna get pretty interesting."
Mal: "Define interesting."
Wash: "Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die?"
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Wed Sep 23, 2020 4:32 pm

Are you trying to imply that a person of my advanced age is expected to be beyond the wearing-costumes-and-getting-candy stage? :suspect:
Or are you maybe just saying I shouldn't be doing that out in the public street?

Anyway, YES to the CANDY CHUTE innovation! I love handing out candy.
DMDarcs
No-Life Loser

Postby DMDarcs » Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:22 pm

We tend to get over 350 trick or treaters a year. And I'm fucking buying these kids candy. I will bag them up a week before Halloween. I will do it with masks and gloves on. I will put signs up on my lawn saying what steps have been taken. And I'm giving them more candy than years past. Halloween is the most important holiday for me, it restores my faith in humanity more than any other. And if it ends up that I go into a diabetic coma because I've eaten all the extra - well, I went out the way I wanted to.
FlameBlade
Orange Troubleshooter

Postby FlameBlade » Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:05 pm

Wear plague doctor mask.
Heracles. Fists. Pantheon.

Clue in ancient Greece.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:44 am

My neighbor does this every year even pre-covid and it is terrifying!
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:37 am

You can borrow Aidan's if you don't have one. After the initial threat of the pandemic and getting laid off, this was the first purchase he made when he finally had money again.
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.

Return to “Nerd Talk”