Presidential Debates 2020

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Mike
Boy of Summer

Presidential Debates 2020

Postby Mike » Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:16 pm

Text exchange earlier...

Me: Yeah. The media started off with this whole narrative of how the whole thing was so chaotic that nobody won. But in a follow-up poll of voters who watched the whole thing, the top words to describe Trump were things like "chaotic" and "unhinged", but Biden's top 3 were "presidential, calm, and better-than-expected". On top of that, Biden had a record-breaking night of fundraising--$25million by 8am.

My son: He's at least locked down the undecided Nazis and Proud Boys.
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Re: Presidential Debates 2020

Postby Kyle » Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:18 pm

Immediately after the Proud Boys statement, I looked at Jen and said, "That's the only thing anyone will talk about tomorrow." It was truly breathtaking.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:22 pm

It was a softball question. All he had to do was say, "Racism is bad. Extremist violence is bad." That's it. I guarantee they went over this in debate practice. A few simple words and he could have condemned racist violence without actually condemning actual groups. He clearly will never condemn anyone who supports him, no matter how repugnant, but he had options. He could have dog-whistled quieter.

He couldn't even do that.
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Phoebe » Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:53 pm

But when you practice for the debate with a room full of white nationalists, they probably don't do a great job of prepping for that question... The fact that his "prepped" response was to ask for a specific name to be criticized is telling. Dang, if only they had gone with "neo-Nazi" he could have disavowed AND said the Demorats and Antifa are the real Nazis!
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:26 am

Y’all know he refused to formally prep, right? His “prep” was to have aides, Christi and Giuliani pepper him randomly with questions and insults to see how he’d react. It reminds me of when I was 10 and wanted to prepare to be a ninja by asking Mike to try to secretly attack me when I was not ready for it. Needless to say, I’m not a ninja.
akiva
Melancholy Camper

Postby akiva » Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:34 am

Reel on a repeating loop
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:17 am

Not only that, but if he fails to be a ninja, it simply proves that Mike didn't attack him enough or well enough when they were young. Mike, you built this through your neglect of violence.
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:52 am

Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:23 am

Not too shabby!
The one good thing to come out of the current debacle is that we may be spared any other debates.
It appears that Trump and his team recklessly endangered everybody in the hall including Biden, and they cannot even rule out that they knew people were testing positive. You can't have a debate when the other side is both mendacious and dangerous, physically and literally. And thus the nation will be spared further shame on the world stage.
DMDarcs
No-Life Loser

Postby DMDarcs » Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:30 am

I have this nagging concern that when Trump recovers from his illness, it will be used as an excuse for why debates didn't continue. I am NOT of the camp that believes that Trump's health concerns are part of an overarching lie to downplay COVID. I do think he will say he was well enough to continue debates, and any delays/cancellations in debates were pushed on him by the Democrats, the debate commission, or whomever. I believe that will also fire up the COVID deniers.
FlameBlade
Orange Troubleshooter

Postby FlameBlade » Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:11 pm

I strongly believe that any future debates must be done virtually.
Heracles. Fists. Pantheon.

Clue in ancient Greece.
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:51 pm

The VP one will not. They are saying they will have the candidates 12 feet apart and require masks for everyone in attendance. Weak. Very weak.

Return to “Nerd Talk”