Spammers

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Mike
Boy of Summer

Spammers

Postby Mike » Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:50 am

I manually delete an average of one spammer a day from these boards. It's a simple process that takes less than 30 seconds, no matter how extensive their posting. Every month or so, it builds up to two or three a day, and when that happens, it always involves a specific domain that's gone wild, so I take two minutes to block that domain, and I'm back to one a day.

Based on my very informal, anecdotal observation of the spammers, it seems that most of them are registering/posting from IPs registered in China. I don't always check the IP, but when I do, it's usually China. Yet, when they post a fake location in their profile, they always pick some random, European/Asian/Australian location around the world: Sweden, Australia, Japan, Singapore, etc. But their usernames and email addresses often (I'd say 20% of the time?) try to indicate that they are Russian or Ukrainian. And their signatures (if they have them) are more often than not in Cyrillic letters, which I associate with Russia and eastern Europe.

I find these connections fascinating and odd. Not enough to look into it further or do any research. Heck, I haven't even started tracking these things for my amusement, which is something I'd be likely to do. It happens enough though to make me wonder if eastern European spammers are contracting Chinese labor to spam for them. Would that even been something that makes sense?
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Return to “Nerd Talk”