Political "debates"

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
Elle
Better Than Ezra
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Political "debates"

Postby Elle » Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:01 pm

Lucy is the cheapest buyable character in the game, as she can be unlocked by purchasing her with 7,000.
TheMaster
Happy Medium
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby TheMaster » Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:03 pm

Citizens of Earth, rejoice. Your Lord and Master stands on high.
Elle
Better Than Ezra

Postby Elle » Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:06 pm

Lucy is the cheapest buyable character in the game, as she can be unlocked by purchasing her with 7,000.
Elle
Better Than Ezra

Postby Elle » Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:16 pm

akiva
Melancholy Camper

Postby akiva » Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:21 pm

Reel on a repeating loop
Stan
Ninja Carpenter

Postby Stan » Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:31 am

TheMaster
Happy Medium

Postby TheMaster » Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:52 am

Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:44 am

Wash: "This is gonna get pretty interesting."
Mal: "Define interesting."
Wash: "Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die?"
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:16 am

All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
Elle
Better Than Ezra

Postby Elle » Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:29 am

TheMaster
Happy Medium

Postby TheMaster » Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:57 am

Stan
Ninja Carpenter

Postby Stan » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:14 am

Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:18 am

All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
Bluedevyl
Five to Lifer

Postby Bluedevyl » Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:23 am

My brother in law is an ardent libertarian, but I have difficulty "debating" with him, as he is a big fan of guys like Michael Savage and Alex Jones, and as a result, is generally not a fan of things like... factual information.

One thing he says, and this is a refrain I hear often, is that the government doesn't do anything to help him personally, so why should he help?

One of my issues with the idea that, if you don't want government assistance, you shouldnt have to pay for it, is that the 'government' affects you in ways that you literally can not avoid, and it is literally impossible to not take advantage of.

He lives a few hours west of us, but routinely drives the few hours east to see the family. On the NYS Thruway. This would literally not be possible without taxes taken from his paycheck to help keep the roads from deteriorating... to make the damn road in the first place.

We live in one of the snowiest places in the country. His roads are plowed daily. He listens to Pandora and watches Netflix, on high-speed internet that would NEVER have been dropped into his neighborhood without MASSIVE government subsidies. His garbage gets taken away.

These are things that most everyone takes for granted, but would DRASTICALLY impede his way of life if the government were to give way to anarchy, as he so frequently mentions he wish would happen.
TheMaster
Happy Medium

Postby TheMaster » Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:13 pm

Bonefish
Harvard Dropout

Postby Bonefish » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:36 pm

Once again I will throw my hat into the defense of ones right to use substances that alter the mind and arevpossibly addicting. The central theme of my opposition to prohibition schemes are that they are subject to corruption, encourage crime and are non effective for actually combating substance abuse. They are also contrary to human behavior and education. Our irresponsible approach to substance abuse, treating it as a criminal, rather than medical condition is simply not morally or ethically acceptable.

The use of mind altering substances is endemic to the human condition, with beer predating agriculture. The use of cannabis goes back atleast 4000 years. The use of mind altering g substances occurs on a regular basis for billions of humans, humans who are functional, co tributing members of society. So there is a reason to believe that there is some sort of "responsible use" threshold before it becomes abuse.

I understand the need for regulation of any industry, but our current tack is non effective. We fuel massive insurgencies in central. We haven't really reduced the flow of drugs, in fact the supply is higher than it has ever been. And we have several states that are approaching 4 years of legalization, with great results.
Elle
Better Than Ezra

Postby Elle » Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:31 am

Return to “Nerd Talk”