NPR Fitness Group

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Re: NPR Fitness Group

Postby Mike » Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:09 pm

Anyone sending me a request, it needs to go to olibarro@gmail.com

Kyle sent one to my nerdprideradio account, and it won't connect me through that.
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
Elle
Better Than Ezra
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Elle » Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:48 pm

Hey, can you all see my "Diary", or is that hidden for everyone?

Also, do I count the ginormous spider I just saw within the confines of my home as 100 calories instantly burnt off my body from leaping about wildly, or 100 calories instantly added due to elevated cortisol levels? Husband gains 1000++++ points for killing it without missing. This is basically why anyone would get married, this and tail-lights and routers.
Lucy is the cheapest buyable character in the game, as she can be unlocked by purchasing her with 7,000.
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:25 am

SORRY- my username is NPRKyle
Elle
Better Than Ezra
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Elle » Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:26 pm

No problem I got you and I can see your food diary too.

I don't mind using this instrument because I simply lie to it about various things (why do they need all that stuff anyway? And access to my camera and contacts and stuff?) and use it for the things I want to use it for. However, I do have a small feeling of resentment when I see an ad for the American petroleum Institute trying to tell me how Colorado can develop its energy resources for Fun and Profit. Maybe they know what irritates me and that's their subtle method of motivating me to get up and run around with my dog in a fit of pique.

Edited to add: This whole concept of eating the number of calories that corresponds to the weight you want to / should be at is bullshit. I must burn an awful lot of calories because otherwise I would be so much fatter even than I am now. I can't even describe to you how much more food I normally eat than what I am going to have to eat going forward. I really like food. My philosophy has been up until now, if it's good then I can just eat it. If it's an apple, a broccoli, a piece of fish, etc., I can just eat that without a care in the world. For some reason ALL of this stuff has caloric content. BULLSHIT I SAY.
Lucy is the cheapest buyable character in the game, as she can be unlocked by purchasing her with 7,000.
Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Postby Eliahad » Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:45 pm

I'm not planning on weighing myself every day, but maybe once a week? That sound good to people?

[edit: Oh but there's graphs...and you can see the line go up and down. I'll get over it and do it everyday! :)
"What are you going to do?"
"I'm going to roll an 8."
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper

Postby Zen » Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:49 pm

I seem to be losing weight without trying, so I'm not going to actively try harder... I'm now down to 147 lb as of my physical last Friday, which is pretty close to the weight I'm supposed to be. Unfortunately I'm not exercising or anything like that. The only explanation for my weight loss is the gluten free diet. The other option is some unexplained health issue that no doctor has found, which is the pessimistic version.

Good luck to all who are trying to get in better shape.
"The lines between kindness, apathy, and thickheadedness can be very thin." - Nakatani Nio Sensei
“The direction of escape is toward freedom. So what is ‘escapism’ an accusation of?” - Ursula K. Le Guin
Elle
Better Than Ezra

Postby Elle » Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:30 pm

I really just want the food / calorie / exercise tracking and ability to do that with friends. But i don't want to put in all my personal info, so if I lose weight I will tell you about it here.
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:19 am

I would also join, but don't think I'll get too much out of it. I don't care too much about my weight, or even too much about the calories I eat, I'm more interested in getting in shape. To that end, I've been doing P90X workouts since around the first of the year, with the exception of taking a week off here and there when I have to travel for work or when I'm injured. So I would be starting from a point where I'm already in the best shape I've ever been in, even if my weight is on the higher end of what I've ever weighed. So I probably wouldn't see any progress.
Wash: "This is gonna get pretty interesting."
Mal: "Define interesting."
Wash: "Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die?"
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:50 am

Wow. Rough weekend. But all the more to lose!

I'm starting at 298.2! What the what? Let's do this people!
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:12 am

I'm telling you, yesterday was my first good day on this particular health kick. I've been trying for a couple months to really get started on eating healthy (or at the very least... at least eating LESS), and thanks to this group, I actually stuck to it yesterday. Kept the calories down, drank a shit-ton of water, peed like a racehorse every 15 minutes. And finally, all that bloat disappeared. I lost 5 pounds of water over the weekend, and now I'm just down to being plain old fat, instead of fat and bloated.

Thank you for doing this. Hopefully, we stick to it.
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
Mrs.Darcs
This. Is. SPARTA!

Postby Mrs.Darcs » Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:22 am

It's really gonna make me weigh myself and I am mad. I put in a rough estimate to sign up....I guess I'm actually gonna have to suck it up. Also, what the heck MFP, are you seriously telling me that those 60 ouchy squats I just suffered through are no calories. F you.
Power and Ripp forever

RIP Sam and Thor forever!
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:29 am

Mrs.Darcs
This. Is. SPARTA!

Postby Mrs.Darcs » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:26 pm

I never add food for calories I've burned while exercising. I just HATE exercise so I like to see some credit for doing it lol! (Although, I find that I do like Cize, I just have problems finding time to do it)
Power and Ripp forever

Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:55 pm

Yeah- don't get me wrong- that would bother the shit out of me. But you know what? You did them!

YAY MRS. DARCS!
Elle
Better Than Ezra

Postby Elle » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:29 pm

How do you stop it from adding calories to your daily calorie goal when you exercise? Maybe I just won't add the exercise in until the day of eating is over. The real question is how long we can maintain a change going forward, but for now I feel bitter hatred towards you all because last night I was hungry and ate an apple at midnight instead of the bag of microwave popcorn and god knows how many chocolate covered pretzels I SHOULD HAVE BEEN EATING INSTEAD.

You know the book where they talk about all the evidence for our sugar addictions and the problems it causes? Well, I just skipped straight to the punch line of that book and concluded, I am addicted to sugar like nobody's business, whether it be in the form of obvious treats or empty carbs or plates full of baked potatoes with sour cream. I love it and when people joke in a scornful way about a populace of sheep licking up HFCS I'm like YEAH BABY, I AM THAT SHEEP!!! So now I have to be the dog instead. This is an ok trade! I will be a lean creature of muscle like my doggie.

I do not want to drink the morning protein shake like Ron does, but the morning protein shake and/or Greek yogurt was a big help for him, as was switching from diet coke in the AM to coffee.

Anyway, yes, all of you keep doing this because the food diary is very, very important for me and if there is nobody there to see when I slap eight pounds of sugar into my diary, I probably will do it. I have to be accountable literally for every mouthful because I constantly eat while cooking and it's a problem. Oh, just a taste of this, a taste of that, kid didn't finish x so I'll finish it for her... this is disaster.

There is no way I can survive on this few calories, is there? It's disgusting to have these thoughts and think about people who can't afford food. But people, I probably eat double the calories I'm supposed to be eating. NOT ANYMORE!

Question: How many calories are really in a whole bag of microwave popcorn? Because I am betting it's a lot and the bag is deceptive.
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:45 pm

Elle
Better Than Ezra

Postby Elle » Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:13 pm

Yeah, we could do it alone if we had to, but why not avail yourself of the extra support that comes from having people who are doing the same thing and aren't going to judge you, looking over your shoulder and congratulating you for your progress, or giving you a push to go harder? The last time I wrote down everything I ate (on the older version of this forum) it was very helpful at getting refocused on eating well. It forces me to think about what I'm putting into my mouth instead of eating things mindlessly as if they have no calories.
Ronster
Maverick's Wingman

Postby Ronster » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:58 am

I am boromirdoesnot It was my favorite meme way back when, don't judge me :banana:
접근금지야 이젠 접근금지야
이젠 접근금지야 너가 사과하기 전까지
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:33 am

I'll edit my first post. But who are the current members on MyFitnessPal?

I have: Me, Ronster, Mike, Eli, Elle, Mrs. Darcs. Am I missing anyone?
Mrs.Darcs
This. Is. SPARTA!

Postby Mrs.Darcs » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:21 am

I can't do it alone, I try, but I can't....I couldn't even do it with a really supportive group of strangers, or one with like 2 friends and a bunch of strangers.

I am a stubborn person in a lot of respects, but so weak in terms of food and exercise. (Also, why do I always want to put a second c in the word exercise?) Not wanting to let you guys see my weakness (even when I admit to it will hopefully help. <3 <3
Power and Ripp forever

Return to “Nerd Talk”