NPR Fitness Group

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
Mrs.Darcs
This. Is. SPARTA!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: NPR Fitness Group

Postby Mrs.Darcs » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:57 am

I get horrendous caffeine withdrawal headaches, so I'm going really slow I've cut down from a medium, then a large non-fat latte and 2-3 cans of (diet) caffeinated soda with sometimes a later afternoon Dunkin break, to 2 medium non-fat lattes (one espresso, 1 chai...except Fridays when I will allow myself a PSL), and 2 sodas. Only herbal tea in the evening (although I splurged on a hot cider last night to get me through the debate). I have Raynaud's disease so cutting down on caffeine will help reduce those symptoms, I hope.

I also HATE drinking water, but I bought the little flavor drops and I'm forcing it down. I prefer room temperature sparkling water, that I can drink straight...I should pick some up.

I've stopped eating after 8 pm. This has helped me in the past, I'm hoping it will now

I've been making sure to eat a meal bar in the morning to boost my metabolism. I have to wait a half hour after my thyroid pill, so it's not right away, but still it should help.

Cutting out ALL fast food.

Good old fashion calorie counting. Entering the food in the app is helping keep me accountable.

Only one glass of wine/port/sherry a week. I know French Women don't get fat says I can have one a day, but I need to reduce calories more than that for now (I only generally have 2 glasses a week as it is, so this isn't a big deal at all. It's harder in the winter when I want the warmth loveliness of a glass of port in the evenings)

My baby steps plan is:
~ to reduce my sugar next, as I've taken up hard candies to keep me from snacking on higher calorie options, like my favorite 600 calorie (!) muffin, ice cream or salt during the day. I want to switch to sugar free gum maybe?

~Start my stupid vitamin D that I keep forgetting the doctors want me to take.

~Start real workouts again

~Replace morning coffee with herbal tea, cut out the caffeinated soda...again, to manage my addiction to caffeine, this will be slow.

~Get back up to 80 oz of yucky water per day

~Re-read French Woman and start following Mireille's rules again. Once I get my metabolism back up
Power and Ripp forever

RIP Sam and Thor forever!
Mrs.Darcs
This. Is. SPARTA!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Mrs.Darcs » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:58 am

Crap! Lab cake today....I'm gonna try to refuse it guys, wish me luck!
Power and Ripp forever

Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:06 pm

Good luck!

Besides, it's really dry. It wouldn't be worth it.
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:09 pm

And I'm with you on the caffeine addiction. The withdrawal headaches are horrible. Maybe there's a patch for this.
Mrs.Darcs
This. Is. SPARTA!

Postby Mrs.Darcs » Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:24 pm

Resisted cake, now to resist cookies in the meeting in an hour and a half. I will probably not manage to not have a cookie, Upstate cookies are so good.
Power and Ripp forever

Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:53 pm

I wouldn't touch the cookies. I heard Nathan licked them.
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:22 pm

I always take my thyroid medicine first thing when I wake up with a glass of water. Then I make coffee, let it cool, drink it while I watch the news, and check my phone in the morning for an hour. Then I eat breakfast, shower and leave.
Mrs.Darcs
This. Is. SPARTA!

Postby Mrs.Darcs » Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:21 pm

I am jealous of your leisurely morning
Power and Ripp forever

Elle
Better Than Ezra

Postby Elle » Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:44 am

Lucy is the cheapest buyable character in the game, as she can be unlocked by purchasing her with 7,000.
Ronster
Maverick's Wingman

Postby Ronster » Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:22 am

Well, this is me...

I get up at 3:30 or at least my alarm goes off then.
I take my vitamins with a half cup of skim milk and have a slice or two of pepperidge farm pumpkin swirl bread on my drive to work with either a glass of tea
Ge to work at 5:05 and 5 minutes later I am on a machine in the gym until 5:30-ish..The amount of workout I get is related to how quickly I get out of bed...some days are better than others
At my desk by 6:00 where my guilty pleasure greets me...6 oreos and a coke zero
I can function now.

we have an 8:30 break where I can have some instant grits (I am from Georgia and we do that here) and a boiled egg or 2(If I did weight lifting I have the eggs within an hour of finishing the workout)...

That pretty much is a standard morning for me

Do I need the oreos? No, but they are the one thing I let myself have aside from Coke Z(which is 0 calories)

Hard candies are a good substitute especially in the cooler months.

What do I:
Eliminate completely?
fries. I am not very good at quitting things I like.
Cook differently?
Baking and grilling more
Drink differently:
decreasing Coke Z and increasing water...up to 11 cups yesterday (I agree, yuck!)
Exercise differently:
Decreasing my weight lifting in order to increase cardio time. Even small changes add up.
접근금지야 이젠 접근금지야
이젠 접근금지야 너가 사과하기 전까지
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:44 am

Phew. Had to leave work an hour early yesterday because of "plumbing" problems, and still have them this morning. Haven't eaten since yesterday's lunch.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:43 am

Do you know a good plumber? Have you tried Angie's List?
Elle
Better Than Ezra

Postby Elle » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:05 pm

Question: is the metamucil actually helping? Have y'all experimented with other options (E.g. Flaxseed? Chia?) or maybe had to rule some out due to gluten? I only ask because when I was younger I tried metamucil but it caused more problems than it solved. Eating lots of fiber in other ways plus water was way more helpful.
Lucy is the cheapest buyable character in the game, as she can be unlocked by purchasing her with 7,000.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:25 pm

Metamucil = awesome.

It's just simple. I have a glass every morning while I'm waiting for the dogs to finish eating. I don't forget. And it works very well for me.

A better option would be eating healthy, but that's not in the cards at this time.
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:17 pm

Elle
Better Than Ezra

Postby Elle » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:35 pm

I've lost zero weight, this is a really, really bad week coming up in terms of required dinners out and work luncheons and no sleep and overwhelming stress (followed by Halloween, which is going to be horrible with a house full of candy), and I need to redouble the mental focus on this. Very easy to get casual about an extra 100-calorie snack, or taking a few bites of something random on the assumption that it won't count, and I'm not losing weight anyway...

But of course you're not losing weight after one week. The real problem is that I've been trying in a more casual way to exercise more and diet ever since last spring, and nothing has happened despite a significant increase in exercise. Am I really eating that much more to compensate, or is it just that I normally eat so many calories that it's going to take a while for the body to adjust to a new norm? Whatever, it's one week and you can't tell anything from one week. I just wish I would see, like, one pound difference on a scale after ten days of rigid food monitoring.
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:43 pm

The only reason I'm losing weight is: (1) how tremendously overweight I am to start the process; and (2) I'm only dieting and not exercising (which isn't good). If I was exercising and actually developing muscle mass, my weight loss would be much less. But that's not what it's about anyways.

Just keep at it. It's a marathon, not a sprint.
Elle
Better Than Ezra

Postby Elle » Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:51 pm

Slightly over two weeks of careful calorie monitoring. Zero pounds lost. I seriously do not know. Is my body rebelling, or trying to store up as much as possible for the winter hibernation? This is very irritating. I used to read things like "dieters get discouraged when they don't see progress; give up" and I'd be like ha ha ha, tralala, I would never do that! Well, it is difficult to force yourself not to eat things you really want to eat when you have been doing it for a little while and nothing good comes of it. However, I have long practice in this general skill set that should serve me well.
Ronster
Maverick's Wingman

Postby Ronster » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:26 am

Yeah, just stick it out. I am not seeing any real changes in my weight at all, but I have been under my calorie goal about 90% of the time.

I have learned to like a lot of newer foods which keeps me from being limited to calorie heavy items. Some fats are good and there is a minimum calorie intake you need or else you do get the starvation/calorie hoarding effect. MFP will give you warnings about that. Unfortunately my mind goes into "devourer" mode when things like that are said, thought or implied.

Stick with it. you will be glad you did. If I haven't quit the program then you can't!
접근금지야 이젠 접근금지야
이젠 접근금지야 너가 사과하기 전까지
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:36 am

Confession- Not a strong weekend for me. I traveled last week and left the left-over dinners I planned to take in the work fridge. Ended up eating out of gas stations (lots of chips, beef jerkey, slim jims and candy bars), and then when I got home on the weekend had a "Well, I fucked it up!" attitude and didn't stick to my prescribed meals (had seconds, etc.). It was bad enough that I didn't weigh myself this morning. Weak.

Anyways- today is a new day! Let's remember-- when we fuck up we just start moving again in the right direction!

Return to “Nerd Talk”