Pregnancy Advice and Zika

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Elle
Better Than Ezra
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Pregnancy Advice and Zika

Postby Elle » Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:32 pm

The NYT had an interesting story today about Zika and the question whether the CDC should advise women to delay pregnancy for a year or during peak outbreaks. Some think it's a no-brainer while others think it imposes an over-reacting attempt at one-size-fits-all solution. I tend to favor that they recommend delays. After all, it's just a recommendation and they're also recommending that all sexually active women who could possibly conceive avoid drinking alcohol. If you're going to make that boneheaded recommendation, what stops you now?! This is going to be a huge deal, though. Not only will you have the virus increasing in huge population areas, but it comes after many years of successful efforts to restrict abortion access, especially in those places like Texas and other Gulf States, and varying degrees of success in pushing contraceptive use. I predict some setbacks for the pro-life and anti-planned-parenthood movements will follow.
Lucy is the cheapest buyable character in the game, as she can be unlocked by purchasing her with 7,000.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Re: Pregnancy Advice and Zika

Postby Mike » Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:58 pm

I agree that a recommendation to delay pregnancy if possible is a prudent move. "Hey, be aware that if you get pregnant now, the risk of a baby with microcephaly is increased, so if you have the option of putting off a baby, you should do so." People are free to ignore it if it's really important to them and/or they feel the risk is worth it.
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
Ronster
Maverick's Wingman

Postby Ronster » Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:17 am

I just wish my daughter would reconsider their honeymoon destination. They get married in Late May and will honeymoon in Costa Rica. I offered to pay for a nice trip to England or Ireland if they cannot get a refund, but they are not interested. :brickwall:
접근금지야 이젠 접근금지야
이젠 접근금지야 너가 사과하기 전까지
Elle
Better Than Ezra

Postby Elle » Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:30 am

Yeah, that would cause a parent to lose sleep. But you know, it's admirable when people don't live in fear. And maybe they will be very careful, though I gather it delays their ability to produce grandkids free from that risk for a long time due to the virus lingering in men unbeknownst to them.
Lucy is the cheapest buyable character in the game, as she can be unlocked by purchasing her with 7,000.
Ronster
Maverick's Wingman

Postby Ronster » Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:54 am

"Bloody thick-headed" are the words that come to mind instead of admirable.
Risking life and limb to do important research in a disease-ridden third world country,; I approve.
Risking thelives of future generations because you didn't want to lose the down payment which someone else would make up for just to prove you are independent; foolhardy.

When you see what this disease does to those kids, you know the parents are affected by the horror of knowing that they did this to them...well now they know.

If there were some cause to risk all for it might be different, but at this time in human understanding, why take risks for the sake of risk-taking?

Even animals don't do that. :brickwall:

Saints and angels preserve us from people with something to prove...
접근금지야 이젠 접근금지야
이젠 접근금지야 너가 사과하기 전까지

Return to “Nerd Talk”