Moana (Spoiler Thread)

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Moana (Spoiler Thread)

Postby poorpete » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:27 pm

Point one: it fails the gender-reverse-Bechdel test. Although, wait, I think there's a point where two guys discuss a leaky ceiling.
DMDarcs
No-Life Loser
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Moana (Spoiler Thread)

Postby DMDarcs » Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:11 pm

poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:39 pm

I think there should be a Where's Poochie Test.

Thought of this about Hamilton. I think Moana would pass the Where's Poochie Test too.
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:08 am

Slate Culture Gabfest clued me into how well the ocean was animated, and how it's lightyears ahead of how awful water was rendered in the history of CG. Ya know, the metallic look that worked well when it was a liquid-metallic Terminator, but never anywhere else?

vs
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper

Postby Zen » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:51 am

Yeah, that was pretty impressive animation! All in all, I thought it was probably the best movie Disney has put out in years! The complete and total lack of romance in it was more than refreshing! (And, in my opinion, the character of Moana is the most beautifully drawn "Disney Princess" ever!) And Lin's music... Just... WOW! My daughter pointed out several clever Hamilton references, but I can't remember them now... :(
"The lines between kindness, apathy, and thickheadedness can be very thin." - Nakatani Nio Sensei
“The direction of escape is toward freedom. So what is ‘escapism’ an accusation of?” - Ursula K. Le Guin
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:17 pm

What are these Hamiltonian references? She must tell us!
I mean there was Liz' mannerisms all over "You're Welcome."
I did think "Shiny" was sort of like "You'll Be Back", a song that an enemy sings that's in a wildly different style than the rest of the songs.

For "Shiny", I'd like to think the sound went from David Bowie -> Jermaine Clement imitation of Bowie -> Lin Manuel's imitation of Jermaine imitating Bowie -> Jermaine's imitation of Lin's imitation of his imitation of Bowie.

Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:08 pm

All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:42 pm

Does "Villager #1" count as a name?
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:03 pm

FAIL!
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
Cazmonster
Silent but Deadly

Postby Cazmonster » Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:21 pm

I about cried four times during the movie. It surpasses Frozen and Wreck It Ralph as my favorite by a wide margin.

And it isn't just Moana or Maui. The Ocean as a character is wonderful.

Gramma Tala steals the show for me. I love her.
"...somewhat less attractive now that she's all corpsified and gross."
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:50 pm

Was ready to try to explain her death/reincarnation/ghostly-apparition to my daughter, but she seemed to roll with it.

I think maybe the chicken was my favorite character. Nah, mini-Maui.

Called it! http://people.com/movies/how-lin-manuel ... ong-shiny/

Return to “Nerd Talk”