Euclidea

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
Eliahad
Mr. 3025
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Euclidea

Postby Eliahad » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:20 am

Any hints on 6.8?
"What are you going to do?"
"I'm going to roll an 8."
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:30 am

6.8 pissed me off so bad. I finally had to do some geometry research. So I solved it for the L star and V star, but I feel like I cheated. On the other hand, I don't know if I ever would have stumbled on it otherwise.

Hint:

If you need more, ask.
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
Eliahad
Mr. 3025
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Eliahad » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:36 am

See I had what looked like what was a super elegant solution, but I was off by this fraction of a hair. (I could only tell if I made an actual perpendicular line and then zoomed way in.) It was so frustrating. I will try your hint!
FlameBlade
Orange Troubleshooter

Postby FlameBlade » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:10 pm

Thales theorem for 6.8.

It was pissing me off as well, because that kind of thing that is hard to grok until you get it. Mike's hint is halfway to the full solution. (Don't look the theorem up until you need a solution)

But once you get it, it's a beautiful theorem that should be memorized for later problems.
Heracles. Fists. Pantheon.

Clue in ancient Greece.
Cazmonster
Silent but Deadly

Postby Cazmonster » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:38 pm

As cool as this is, I remember trying to learn more complicated math this way and I hated it.

I didn't want to know why the math worked and I didn't want to have to prove that it worked. I wanted a tool set so I could do the homework. I also think that they set math classes early because math teachers are sadists.

Playing with the lines and the circles is fun.
"...somewhat less attractive now that she's all corpsified and gross."
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:25 pm

Ah! I solved all of Epsilon and moved on, but they updated 5.5 to make it harder. I don't have to solve it at this point, but it's still driving me crazy that I can't.
Pdyx
Pastry Artisan

Postby Pdyx » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:46 am

Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:02 am

Yeah, that's why 6.8 was frustrating... I couldn't find ANY solution, much less an optimal one. I don't feel so bad on most of them if I can't find the optimal solutions right away, because at least I can solve it. And then with some fiddling, I'll eventually get one or both of the E and L stars. I've cheated three or four times to get optimal solutions so that I can move on, but this was the first time I had to cheat just to solve it at all. This one was just completely beyond me. And I'm still a little annoyed with it, because when I look at it, I can see:

The circumscribed circle of any right triangle has its center at the midpoint of the hypotenuse.

Got it. Visually, it's there... I just don't understand why. It's not intuitive to me.

I think this game is going to be done with me soon. But damn it's been fun.
iCEW0LF98
Puppet Accout

Postby iCEW0LF98 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:18 pm

5.7. E star was so hard for me that I had to look up the solution on youtube, I think it would take me at least another two months to get an idea like that. By the way on android version, you have to get every possible star in every pack in order to progress to the next pack, which is why I looked up the solution. But on PC I got to 9.4, and I can't even Pass this level. You have only lines as a tool, and you are given a line through a circle center, for which you have to erect a perpendicular to some given point. I don't know if I became weaker after looking up that 5.7 E solution or if its just harder.
Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Postby Eliahad » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:42 pm

Hey Icewolf! Thanks for dredging this thread up! I've been poking at them again and forgotten how much I had, you know, forgotten!

Return to “Nerd Talk”