Fun and Educational websites for you and your kids

A place for more serious(ish) topics. If you want to have an actual discussion... try it here.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Ronster
Maverick's Wingman
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Fun and Educational websites for you and your kids

Postby Ronster » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:10 pm

I am posting this because, well, why not?

My wife teaches pre-school and one of her 3 year old students can read...not the little 4 page books either. He is at a 7th grade reading level!
This has blown our collective minds and his mother is having a hard time trying to stay ahead of him. He memorizes maps and reads the dictionary.
My daughter who is in college had some websites that she thought would be educational and fun so I thought I would pass them along.

They have a bridge design contest every year. This is a downloadable program and it is free

What a great name...it is an academy for all future rulers of the Mongols, I mean no it isn't but that would sure be cool. It has LOTS of learning videos running the gamut from 2nd grade to High school. from economics to cosmology and astronomy. Great website with gmail or facebook login and parent/teacher/student logins as well.
Face it, who wouldn't want to say they attended Khan Academy? Other than James T. Kirk, that is.
접근금지야 이젠 접근금지야
이젠 접근금지야 너가 사과하기 전까지
Ronster
Maverick's Wingman

Re: Fun and Educational websites for you and your kids

Postby Ronster » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:15 pm

wow they have test prep for SAT, GMAT, etc as well if you keep digging!
접근금지야 이젠 접근금지야
이젠 접근금지야 너가 사과하기 전까지
TheMaster
Happy Medium

Postby TheMaster » Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:01 pm

My wife and I have been using the Duolingo app to learn different languages. I would recommend it for anyone!
Citizens of Earth, rejoice. Your Lord and Master stands on high.
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:22 pm

Wash: "This is gonna get pretty interesting."
Mal: "Define interesting."
Wash: "Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die?"
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:28 pm

I just completed my first day of learning Spanish. I've earned myself 2 lingots. Not bad at all.

I waste at least 20 minutes a day on stupid phone games. Why not learn something while I'm doing it?

Thank you, guys!
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:15 am

Thanks for recommending the DuoLingo site and app. My daughter had already been using that to teach herself some Swedish. I downloaded it and am giving myself a refresher in German, and teaching myself French, Spanish, Italian, Russian, and Irish. I had German in high school and college, and studied a little bit of French, Spanish, Italian, and Russian in college, so I have some groundwork in those already. But Irish is new for me.

By the way, I interestingly had one chance to use my Russian out in the real world. I was walking through the Atlanta airport and an elderly lady (complete with babushka over her head) came up to me and started babbling away in Russian. Unfortunately, the only thing I could effectively remember at the time (besides hello, my name is ______, I am fine, how are you) was "Sorry, I do not speak Russian." Which caused her to give me a bit of a confused look, since I was responding to her Russian, in Russian, saying I don't speak Russian. But her confusion only lasted a few seconds before her grandson appeared and led her away, apologizing for her having interrupted me. So it's nice to be able to use this sort of app to knock some of the rust off my foreign language skills.
Wash: "This is gonna get pretty interesting."
Mal: "Define interesting."
Wash: "Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die?"
Ronster
Maverick's Wingman

Postby Ronster » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:21 am

접근금지야 이젠 접근금지야
이젠 접근금지야 너가 사과하기 전까지
Ronster
Maverick's Wingman

Postby Ronster » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:22 am

I am going for some German lingots myself.
접근금지야 이젠 접근금지야
이젠 접근금지야 너가 사과하기 전까지
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:29 am

Moving this to serious discussion.
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
Ronster
Maverick's Wingman

Postby Ronster » Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:07 am

so that's why I could not find it! :headslap:
접근금지야 이젠 접근금지야
이젠 접근금지야 너가 사과하기 전까지

Return to “Nerd Talk”