[puzzler] cutting french toast

Roleplaying games, video games, board games, card games, ANY games! Bring it all to the Gaming Table.
FlameBlade
Orange Troubleshooter
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

[puzzler] cutting french toast

Postby FlameBlade » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:37 pm

One claimed that he was able to form 12 rectangles just with 3 cuts of a french toast.

He's wrong. Why?
Heracles. Fists. Pantheon.

Clue in ancient Greece.
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Re: [puzzler] cutting french toast

Postby Kyle » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:27 pm

Because rectangles are flat 2-dimensional objects and french toast exists in 3 dimensions?

Just off the top of my head, I can only think of a way to create 8.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:45 pm

My first answer is: "Because of the rounded corners of the bread."

But then taking it seriously... I'm making the assumption that our original piece of French toast is a rectangle. I'm also making the assumption that these are straight cuts. In that case, I don't see how three straight cuts can divide a convex shape into more than seven pieces total, much less rectangular pieces.

I can do it if the cuts don't have to be straight. Also, I can do it if I fold the toast before cutting so that a "single" cut actually slices the bread in two (or more) places.

I may be missing some basic assumptions, though.
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:13 pm

I stood the toast upright and sliced it again to make two slices that are half as thin. Then I lay them back down and did a vertical and a horizontal cut. Thus, eight pieces- four stacked on four.
Eliahad
Mr. 3025
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Eliahad » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:39 pm

If I get one curved cut, I can get 10.
"What are you going to do?"
"I'm going to roll an 8."
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper

Postby Zen » Tue Aug 29, 2017 3:58 pm

If the toast is sufficiently thick and the knife sufficiently sharp and the bread actually square to begin with, I can get twelve rectangles with 1 cut.
"The lines between kindness, apathy, and thickheadedness can be very thin." - Nakatani Nio Sensei
“The direction of escape is toward freedom. So what is ‘escapism’ an accusation of?” - Ursula K. Le Guin
FlameBlade
Orange Troubleshooter

Postby FlameBlade » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:26 pm

Clue in ancient Greece.
Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Postby Eliahad » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:43 pm

*whistles*

Just realized we're counting pieces, and Flame is counting rectangles. So um, we're in trouble.
"What are you going to do?"
"I'm going to roll an 8."
Stan
Ninja Carpenter

Postby Stan » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:57 pm

If you bend or roll up up the french toast and then make a slice, does that count as one cut? If so you get 2-4 times more cuts per slice.
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:04 pm

My thought:
, but I assume I'm overlooking or misreading something.
Stan
Ninja Carpenter

Postby Stan » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:15 pm

If the goal is to get exactly 12, one solution is to wind up with 4 triangular pieces, each with 3 rectangles along their sides. It's really hard to get only 12 - if you cut into rectangular pieces, you get 6 rectangles per piece. A cut that is not perpendicular to the top would also help reduce the number rectangles on the sides.
Last edited by Stan on Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FlameBlade
Orange Troubleshooter

Postby FlameBlade » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:18 pm

Clue in ancient Greece.
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:25 pm

Thanks. I guess you aren't counting this
Stan
Ninja Carpenter

Postby Stan » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:39 pm

If you're counting pieces, and if folding is not allowed, I think each cut can, at most, double the number of pieces you have. With 3 cuts, all perpendicular to each other, the most you can get is 2 to the 3rd or 8 pieces (or 48 rectangles).
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:03 pm

If you can lift it up and fold it and stuff, why can't you rearrange pieces before cutting?
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:03 am

No one said we CAN fold and such... those have all been hypothetical and assumed to be against the rules. Rearranging pieces between cuts still ends up with eight pieces using straight cuts.
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:58 am

Um... can I just say that it's really cool that we have our own mathematician on the site who comes up with puzzlers?

You're the best, Flame.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:24 am

Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:31 am

Same principle can be achieved if you just fold it, assuming you're allowed to fold parts between your cuts as well.

I'm assuming this is obvious but in case not let me explain. Just fold the toast over the first time, cut the third near the fold off so that you have three pieces. Fold the other direction, do the same thing again so that you have 9 pieces, and then just cut across the unfolded toast in one place to turn the nine into 12. No one said we could fold but no one said we couldn't fold so I'm just experimenting with my toast.

If it's illegitimate to fold that many pieces over the second time, but we can make an initial fold, you can just fold the whole thing up by thirds into a 3-layer roll with one edge folded under only part way. Cut off the long edge pieces so you separate a single piece on one edge, three in the middle, and two on the other (one fold-piece and one straight end) and then cut across those crossways.
FlameBlade
Orange Troubleshooter

Postby FlameBlade » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:10 am

Big spoiler hint coming.

Clue in ancient Greece.

Return to “The Gaming Table”