Nerd Pride Deadpool 2018

Roleplaying games, video games, board games, card games, ANY games! Bring it all to the Gaming Table.
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Re: Nerd Pride Deadpool 2018

Postby Kyle » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:59 am

No one had R Lee Ermy- but it looks like Caz is getting ready to score points with Barbara Bush.
Bluedevyl
Five to Lifer
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Bluedevyl » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:38 pm

Harry Anderson of Night Court fame passed today at 65.
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Zen » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:38 am

"The lines between kindness, apathy, and thickheadedness can be very thin." - Nakatani Nio Sensei
“The direction of escape is toward freedom. So what is ‘escapism’ an accusation of?” - Ursula K. Le Guin
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:02 pm

Caz has points. And 2nd place.

RIP Barbara Bush
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
Cazmonster
Silent but Deadly

Postby Cazmonster » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:52 pm

CABBAGE PATCH DANCE
"...somewhat less attractive now that she's all corpsified and gross."
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:05 pm

Vern Troyer dead at 49.
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper

Postby Zen » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:36 am

"The lines between kindness, apathy, and thickheadedness can be very thin." - Nakatani Nio Sensei
“The direction of escape is toward freedom. So what is ‘escapism’ an accusation of?” - Ursula K. Le Guin
Cazmonster
Silent but Deadly

Postby Cazmonster » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:33 pm

Bluedevyl could well be scoring with George (41) H W Bush.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/23/politics ... index.html
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper

Postby Zen » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:11 am

Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Mon May 14, 2018 1:55 pm

akiva
Melancholy Camper

Postby akiva » Tue May 15, 2018 8:19 am

Margot Kidder.
Reel on a repeating loop
Bluedevyl
Five to Lifer

Postby Bluedevyl » Fri May 25, 2018 3:06 pm

John "TotalBiscuit" Bain, streamer and game critic, passed away yesterday from colon cancer at age 33.

He was the one person I left off my list purposely, in the hopes that he might have made it to see 34.

RIP
akiva
Melancholy Camper

Postby akiva » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:56 am

Anthony Bourdain. Suicide.
Reel on a repeating loop
Cazmonster
Silent but Deadly

Postby Cazmonster » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:26 pm

In light of this, I would like to propose a new rule going forward. You cannot score points if someone dies by suicide. I’d like a serious discussion about this, please.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:48 am

Start the discussion for us then. Why do you feel suicide should be in a different category than old age, disease, murder, drug overdose, etc?

I don't know what to think of the suggestion without knowing why it's an issue.
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:00 am

All death is tragic. Suicide especially so. But not necessarily more than murder or a slow painful disease. Even is it’s someone we don’t like, the loss of any human life is sad and tragic. Playing the game in light of this is something we do. But if we have rules about especially tragic deaths, then we won’t have a real game anymore.

And to be clear, when I read about this week’s two suicides, I had an internal debate because I imagined how grotesque it would be if someone had them and “celebrated” points. I questioned whether I still wanted to participate. And those are legitimate questions for everyone to pose to themselves.

But here’s the deal- no one had them. And in the 12 years or so that I’ve been doing deadpool, that situation hasn’t really arisen- where I actually felt guilty for playing the game. But that situation certainly might come up- so it is important to think about.

That said, I’m still going to play, and I think the rules are fine. But I do understand your concerns, Caz.
Bluedevyl
Five to Lifer

Postby Bluedevyl » Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:18 pm

Caz, I totally get your concern. The entire concept of the Deadpool has occasionally led me to have feel-bad moments, where I read that someone has passed and my first thought was "I wonder if anyone had them...", but generally that has been in the case of someone with a public long-running illness or someone who is elderly.

I have not had that thought when reading about Robin Williams, David Carradine, Anthony Bourdain, or any of the multitudes of suicides that have occurred since I started being aware of the Deadpool. My thoughts have generally run towards just general sadness and introspection. With Bourdain in particular, I was not surprised. He'd never made a secret of the fact that he wouldn't get older. It may have been in one of his books, or during an interview, but I think he'd known for a while that this was the way he was going to go.

When I put my list together this year, I made a conscious choice not to put TotalBiscuit on my list, despite knowing that he was very sick and that it was extremely unlikely that he would see 2019 or beyond, because he was so young and I didnt want to revel in someone younger than me dying of pancreatic cancer.

I agree with Kyle. I would have been a bit uncomfortable if someone had put Bourdain on their list and had, as he said, "celebrated" their 39 points. I'll still play, more than likely, and will continue to draft my list from people who have led long, noteworthy lives, but I also understand if this isn't anyone else's cup of tea, and that this is the impetus to no longer participate.

I hope everyone is well. Take care.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:41 pm

On the other hand, one of the Koch brothers is in decline and has withdrawn from the family's business and political endeavors.
Cazmonster
Silent but Deadly

Postby Cazmonster » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:39 am

Thanks for the thoughtful replies. In light of them, I see no reason to ask for the rules to change.
Kyle
Soaked in Vomit

Postby Kyle » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:33 pm

Koko died at 46. No one had her.

Return to “The Gaming Table”