Celebrity Wikipedia

Roleplaying games, video games, board games, card games, ANY games! Bring it all to the Gaming Table.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Celebrity Wikipedia

Postby Phoebe » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:54 pm

Gerald Ford
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:26 pm

He became a successful lawyer and politician. He was elected twice to the New York State Assembly, was appointed New York State Attorney General, was chosen as a U.S. senator from the State of New York, and reached the apex of his career as vice president. In the waning months of his tenure as president of the Senate, he oversaw the impeachment trial of Supreme Court Justice Samuel Chase.
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:40 am

Born
February 6, 1756
Newark, New Jersey, British America

Died
September 14, 1836 (aged 80)
Staten Island, New York

[He] served as a Continental Army officer in the American Revolutionary War.
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Zen » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:53 am

Aaron Burr
"The lines between kindness, apathy, and thickheadedness can be very thin." - Nakatani Nio Sensei
“The direction of escape is toward freedom. So what is ‘escapism’ an accusation of?” - Ursula K. Le Guin
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:34 am

YES!
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper

Postby Zen » Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:47 pm

[continuing on a theme of US political figures...]

[Redacted] had served nine terms in the House of Representatives, and had been elected to the Senate before his candidacy for the White House, though he declined the Senate seat once he was elected president. He is the only sitting House member to be elected president.
"The lines between kindness, apathy, and thickheadedness can be very thin." - Nakatani Nio Sensei
“The direction of escape is toward freedom. So what is ‘escapism’ an accusation of?” - Ursula K. Le Guin
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper

Postby Zen » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:57 am

[Since there hasn't been any guesses, I'll add a bit more info:]

[Redacted] [Redacted] was born the youngest of five children on November 19, 1831, in a log cabin in Orange Township, now Moreland Hills, Ohio. Orange Township had been in the Western Reserve until 1800, and like many who settled there, [Redacted]'s ancestors were from New England, his ancestor, Edward [Redacted] immigrating from Hillmorton, Warwickshire, England, to Massachusetts in around 1630. [Redacted]' father Abram had been born in Worcester, New York, and came to Ohio to woo his childhood sweetheart, Mehitabel Ballou, only to find her married. He instead wed her sister Eliza, who had been born in New Hampshire. [Redacted] was named for an older brother, dead in infancy.

[So, one of the Ohio Presidents... that narrows it down... a bit... I mean... it's not like Ohio has the MOST presidents... Virginia has one more... where they were BORN, that is... If you're talking "Primary Affiliation", it's still number 2... to New York...]
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:04 am

U.S. Grant?
Wash: "This is gonna get pretty interesting."
Mal: "Define interesting."
Wash: "Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die?"
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper

Postby Zen » Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:23 am

[Nope. Grant was born in Missouri and living in Illinois at the time of his presidency... One of Three Illinois Presidents, one born here, two living here at when elected... Better than Michigan, which has one, who was never elected and was born in Nebraska.]

On July 2, 1881, he was shot at the Baltimore and Potomac Railroad Station in Washington D.C. by Charles J. Guiteau, a lawyer and writer with a grievance. The wound was not immediately fatal for [Redacted], but his doctors' uncleaned and unprotected hands are said to have led to infection that caused his death on September 19.
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:20 am

Garfield. His last words were "I hate Mondays"
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper

Postby Zen » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:24 am

poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:44 am

one of the founders of Western religion and spirituality
foundational figure for Western science, philosophy, and mathematics
entire work is believed to have survived intact for over 2,400 years.
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:28 pm

Socrates?
Wash: "This is gonna get pretty interesting."
Mal: "Define interesting."
Wash: "Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die?"
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper

Postby Zen » Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:32 pm

Plato
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:11 pm

Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper

Postby Zen » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:38 pm

[It was the fact that his work is believed to have survived intact that made me think it was him, since Socrates was unpublished as far as I know and Plato's work is well known... back to politicians because I'm in the mood...]

He was the first American President not born a British subject nor of British ancestry.
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:51 pm

Hmmm, that "nor" is tricking me I think, but I'll go Martin Van Buren, who I think was ESL.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:53 pm

Shit. I didn't see the nor qualifier. I think Van Buren is right, but I'll go with my original answer...

Andrew Jackson
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper

Postby Zen » Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:03 pm

poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Tue Aug 28, 2018 3:17 pm

Awesome. My wife's mother's maiden name is Millard has presidential ties, and is a distant cousin to Millard Fillmore, who was named after his mother's maiden name.

Among his classmates were poet Langston Hughes and musician Cab Calloway. Initially he did not take his studies seriously, and was suspended twice for hazing and pranks against fellow students. He was not politically active at first, becoming a "star" of the debating team.

In 1933, he graduated first in his class

President Lyndon B. Johnson appointed him to be the United States Solicitor General

Return to “The Gaming Table”