Celebrity Wikipedia

Roleplaying games, video games, board games, card games, ANY games! Bring it all to the Gaming Table.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Celebrity Wikipedia

Postby Phoebe » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:00 am

Between 1979 and 2011, ------ donated more than $11 billion to various philanthropic causes; by 2017, his donations "on civil initiatives to reduce poverty and increase transparency, and on scholarships and universities around the world" totaled $12 billion. He influenced the collapse of communism in Eastern Europe in the late 1980s and early 1990s, and provided one of Europe's largest higher education endowments to the Central European University in his Hungarian hometown. His extensive funding of political causes has made him a "bugaboo of European nationalists."
Phoebe
Canned Helsing
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Phoebe » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:29 pm

------ was not a large donor to U.S. political causes until the 2004 presidential election, but according to the Center for Responsive Politics, during the 2003–2004 election cycle, ------ donated $23,581,000 to various 527 Groups (tax-exempt groups under the United States tax code, 26 U.S.C. § 527). The groups aimed to defeat President George W. Bush. After Bush's re-election ------ and other donors backed a new political fundraising group called Democracy Alliance, which supports progressive causes and the formation of a stronger progressive infrastructure in America.

In August 2009, ------ donated $35 million to the state of New York to be earmarked for underprivileged children and given to parents who had benefit cards at the rate of $200 per child aged 3 through 17, with no limit as to the number of children that qualified. An additional $140 million was put into the fund by the state of New York from money they had received from the 2009 federal recovery act.
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:10 pm

Soros!
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:09 pm

Yassssss!!!! It was a fascinating read. I figured I would like him about as little as the average banker, but he's actually brilliant and truly impressive as a human being. He's trying to change the world for good and wow do some people hate him for it. The fact he survived the actual Nazis only to have this new cheap breed of Nazi wannabes hate him for, essentially, being awesome... Well, it is kind of amazing.
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:31 pm

Yeah, fuck Nazis, especially Hungarian ones, past and present.

He was born six weeks premature which, along with the oxygen-rich atmosphere in the hospital incubator, resulted in retinopathy of prematurity

appeared in two films as himself, Muscle Beach Party and Bikini Beach,

recorded an album of instrumental soul/jazz tracks... under the title Eivets Rednow
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:16 pm

Stevie Wonder
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:24 am

Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:48 am

------ has received awards from the Nashville Songwriters Association and the Songwriters Hall of Fame, and was included in Rolling Stone's 100 Greatest Songwriters of All Time in 2015. She is also the recipient of 10 Grammys, six Guinness World Records, one Emmy, 23 Billboard Music Awards, and 12 Country Music Association Awards.
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper

Postby Zen » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:34 am

Reba McEntire?
"The lines between kindness, apathy, and thickheadedness can be very thin." - Nakatani Nio Sensei
“The direction of escape is toward freedom. So what is ‘escapism’ an accusation of?” - Ursula K. Le Guin
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:57 am

Dolly Parton?
Wash: "This is gonna get pretty interesting."
Mal: "Define interesting."
Wash: "Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die?"
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:53 am

She has appeared in Time's 100 most influential people in the world (2010 and 2015), Forbes' top-earning women in music (2011–2015), Forbes' 100 most powerful women (2015), and Forbes Celebrity 100 (2016).
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:37 am

Taytay?
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:29 pm

The very one. My kids love her. Not my doing.
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper

Postby Zen » Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:39 am

"The lines between kindness, apathy, and thickheadedness can be very thin." - Nakatani Nio Sensei
“The direction of escape is toward freedom. So what is ‘escapism’ an accusation of?” - Ursula K. Le Guin
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:21 am

Yeah, I was actually a bit surprised reading that wikipedia article about her, even though I knew she was racking up these awards because she's a giant money maker. She did a lot and did it pretty young, and I do think she's a good songwriter. I think she's right btw that the recent "Calvin Harris" massive hit song was really written by her. The part he has her singing, the crucial bit she played for him before he did the song - that's the whole song and frankly the arrangement isn't all that special - it could have been done various ways and still been an earworm due to the part she came up with.
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:32 pm

grew up in an active church choir family, and singing was a normal part of her youth.

She refused to stay over at friends' homes out of fear that, on her return home, she would find her mother dead.

formed an all female R&B group, called Fayze (later renamed Sista)

revolutionised the sound of R&B and hip-hop

experimental concepts in her music videos changed the landscape

Opening act
Rainbow World Tour (Mariah Carey) (2000)
Michael Jackson: 30th Anniversary Special (Michael Jackson) (2001)
Rock the Mic Tour (Jay-Z and 50 Cent) (2003)
Re-Invention World Tour (Madonna) (2004)
Unbreakable World Tour (Janet Jackson) (2015)
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:38 am

Queen Latifah?
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:35 am

performed at the Super Bowl XLIX halftime show with Katy Perry.

The "Take Away" video contained images of and words about Aaliyah, and the slow ballad acted as a tribute to her memory. The remainder of the video was the more upbeat "4 My People", contained scenes of people dancing happily in front of American flags and [HER] dressed in red, white and blue.

Her catalogue of songs have included themes of feminism, gender equality, body positivity and sex positivity since the beginning of her career, being one of the first to center on these topics among hip-hop and R&B performers.

led female hip hop album sales during the late 1990s and early 2000s with 7 million copies sold in the United States in the time span
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:29 am

Missy Elliot
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
poorpete
Trailer Trash

Postby poorpete » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:42 am

You got it!

Return to “The Gaming Table”