[Puzzler] falling ladders

Roleplaying games, video games, board games, card games, ANY games! Bring it all to the Gaming Table.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Mike
Boy of Summer

[Puzzler] falling ladders

Postby Mike » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:43 pm

A ladder stands straight up against a wall. The ladder tips and falls to the floor while the base of it stays firmly in the corner.

Consider just the midpoint of the ladder. What path does it trace as it falls to the floor? This one's pretty simple. It makes a quarter circle.

Now picture the same ladder up against the wall. The bottom of the ladder slides out so that the top of the ladder slides down the wall. Eventually, the ladder is laying flat on the floor.

Now what path does the midpoint trace as the ladder drops to the floor?

Make your best guess, but then try to sketch it out. Or maybe just simulate it with a ruler and see what you think. My first guess was wrong, but the actual answer was pretty cool.
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: [Puzzler] falling ladders

Postby Zen » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:27 am

"The lines between kindness, apathy, and thickheadedness can be very thin." - Nakatani Nio Sensei
“The direction of escape is toward freedom. So what is ‘escapism’ an accusation of?” - Ursula K. Le Guin
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:58 am

Zen, that was my first guess too.
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:17 am

Wash: "This is gonna get pretty interesting."
Mal: "Define interesting."
Wash: "Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die?"
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:31 am

Tahlvin is correct!

Return to “The Gaming Table”