[Starfinder] Play by Messenger

Roleplaying games, video games, board games, card games, ANY games! Bring it all to the Gaming Table.
Eliahad
Mr. 3025
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

[Starfinder] Play by Messenger

Postby Eliahad » Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:25 am

Hey folks! I want to try a thing!tm. I want to try a Starfinder game via facebook messenger. I guess the best way to think of it would be a variation on a play by post game.

As an example, on a whim I dropped this on Mike yesterday secretly hoping I could turn him into a captain for an actual roll20 game. It instead involved into something else:

It's been a long hour since you came to in the small interrogation room. You can tell there's a bruise on your face, but when you try to reach for it you find your arms thrust through the slats in the metal chair, cuffed behind you. There's a table and an ash tray, full of nic-stix, and of course there's that one light that keeps flickering. Two flashes, then stays on for a second, then three, and then off for one. At least that's what you've had time to figure out. At least they've had the decency to leave you your flight suit.

The door opens and a huge Vesk in an AbsalomSec Uniform lumbers in. He's got a shock truncheon on his hip, a badge on his chest and a nameplate that reads, "R. Vok."

He rumbles, "Well, well, you're finally awake. You'd think a Lashuntan couldn't hit that hard," R. Vok laughs at his 'joke,' as he pulls out a datapad, "There seems to be a problem, more than the assault. It seems your ship's transponder and your ship's registration identify very, very differently."

He pauses and looks up, "So I would think pretty carefully about your answers, Captain...?" his tone rises turning just the last word into a question.

"Zee." I have to spit the name at him to clear the blood that has pooled in my mouth. "Captain Zee. Where's my crew?"

He makes a note on his datapad, laughing all the while, "Your crew? That dragnoff pilot's on your crew? I bet he has his feet up right now. Probably eating lunch on us if I had to guess," he glances back at the pad, "Ship designation? And the real on this time. That ain't no luxury cruiser out there."

[b]There is some sort of menchanical noise outside the door and someone mutters absently under their breath. It's all I can do to keep my ears from rotating towards the sound. I remain still. "I'm sorry but none of this sounds familiar. I think I might be a bit addled from that last tap your girlfriend game me. Perhaps if I got up, you could maybe show me the paperwork you're talking about?" [I'm Ryphorian, by the way. Transitional.]

Roll me a perception check.

The Vesk's crimson scales flash just a little brighter, "Watch your mouth. You're already in deep for that tech," he slaps the datapad and you hear him mutter something about, 'this can't go like last time,' then to you, "These are supposed to be routine questions. Just where were you coming from and what didn't you want our customs agents to see?"

[13+7=20!]

[Yeah that sure sounds like somebody's drone trying to do an imitation of a cleaning bot. Sounds like the somebody, too.]

"We were coming from a Belt camp where we'd just dropped off medicine and supplies. I swear to you, there's nothing in my hold but the ore-filled rocks they gave us in trade. If you feel like we were playing coy, it's only because I'm laying low to dodge the bank until we can cash in our cargo. I'm a month behind on payment, and this shipment will finally put us in their good graces AND let me finally give the crew their yearly bonus. They deserve it."

Sometimes honesty is the best policy, "Well why didn't you say--" it's at this point that there's a hissing sound at the door. The Vesk turns as it blows inward and through smoke and fire you see...the words "to be continued" because I'm about to get ready for dinner...

So what do I need? Players.

What do the players need? Characters. Apparently there's a Ryphorian Captain Zee, a Drone Mechanic, and a Pilot somewhere. Details fuzzy.

How it would work? Through Facebook Messenger. There would be a couple of group chats one for in game stuff, one for ooc stuff. And we would try and keep things there, I think (as in I won't message your every day account). Sometimes there would be long breaks while it isn't your turn. Sometimes everyone will be playing all at once.

Rules:

Posts should operate on the 'Yes...and?' principle of Improv. We'll find an underlying plot somewhere, but I think most of the interactions will be coming from the characters and the relationships that develop.

There will be waiting. None of our schedules line up particularly well, we already know that. If you're okay with waiting between posts, so am I.

Characters, let's start at 1st level so we can ease into it. Seems to be a good reference if you don't own the books.

Dice Rolls and checks. We're going to do this one on the honor system, but please, try and live with whatever you roll. I don't like instant death. But I DO like making things difficult for people. That's where the fun is!

Combat. I may keep some sort of sketched out battle mat somewhere, but I imagine that this is going to be fairly free flowing. We'll adapt the starfinder rules as needed. If you're pressed up against a corner with your laser rifle out, you'll be getting cover. If you try and run around a big creature so you can give an ally flanking, the creature is going to get an attack of opportunity, even if we're not counting squares. We'll try and make it make sense.

Um...thoughts? Questions? Who wants to play?
"What are you going to do?"
"I'm going to roll an 8."
Mike
Boy of Summer

Re: [Starfinder] Play by Messenger

Postby Mike » Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:22 pm

I'm in!
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Tahlvin » Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:45 am

Oooh! Ooooh! Ooooh! Mister Kotter! I'm in!
Wash: "This is gonna get pretty interesting."
Mal: "Define interesting."
Wash: "Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die?"
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper

Postby Zen » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:34 am

Count me in!

EDIT: I'd probably be interested in playing the pilot... but remember that I haven't actually played Starfinder yet... So... what exactly does "Dragnoff" mean?
"The lines between kindness, apathy, and thickheadedness can be very thin." - Nakatani Nio Sensei
“The direction of escape is toward freedom. So what is ‘escapism’ an accusation of?” - Ursula K. Le Guin
Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Postby Eliahad » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:14 am

Hooray!

A dragnoff, in this case, is this particular Vesk's equivalent of 'jack-off' I think. I'm pretty sure I stole it from Cosmic Crit, but it may have been somewhere else, too.

Others are welcome! I think we're going to be operating mostly outside the Pact Worlds, because I want to. Eh, we'll see where everything goes if you can escape the Sec Station. I would...I think...get off Absalom as quick as you can though...
Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Postby Eliahad » Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:41 pm

I'm just creating a chat and adding people to it. So if you want to join in, or just watch, send me a PM or post up here. There will be one IC and one OOC channel.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:52 pm

The desire to do it is there but I'm worried about the practicalities. Specifically, I am way too busy with life at all corners and would thus harm the overall effort. Could I lurk and read, and see what happens? Not easy to jump straight in.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:01 pm

I say yes, but what do I know?
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:25 pm

What does any of us really know with certainty? Maybe we have held the knowledge in our open palm for a moment, if we are lucky.
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper

Postby Zen » Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:28 pm

Looking less like the pilot and more like a Dragonkin Solarian at this point, BTW, so if anyone wants to pick up the pilot character feel free. She'll pretty much be security/muscle... [Though I could do an "Ace Pilot" theme build with the Solarian class... It would be interesting... Sure, the Dragonkin gets a -2 Dex, but hey... I'd get one back with the Ace Pilot thing... right? And flying should come naturally...]
"The lines between kindness, apathy, and thickheadedness can be very thin." - Nakatani Nio Sensei
“The direction of escape is toward freedom. So what is ‘escapism’ an accusation of?” - Ursula K. Le Guin
Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Postby Eliahad » Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:44 pm

Lurk away! I invite you on, Pheebs!
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper

Postby Zen » Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:02 am

Alright, here's the for Chandra and her .

Stats: 2 16s, 1 12, 1 11, 2 10s. Solar Manifest: Dark Talons on the right hand. Piloting skill: 10
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:45 am

Haven't completely geared-up; will save some of that for as we go. But here's what I've got so far.

Queequeg
Male ysoki spacefarer mechanic 1
NG Small humanoid (ysoki)
Init +2; Senses darkvision 60 ft.; Perception +4
--------------------
Defense SP 8 HP 8 RP 4
--------------------
EAC 12; KAC 13
Fort +3; Ref +4; Will +0
--------------------
Offense
--------------------
Speed 30 ft.
Ranged azimuth laser pistol +2 (1d4 F; burn 1d4)
--------------------
Statistics
--------------------
Str 10 (+0); Dex 15 (+2); Con 12 (+1); Int 16 (+3); Wis 10 (+0); Cha 10 (+0)
Skills Acrobatics +3 (+8 to tumble through the space of a creature of Medium or larger size), Computers +8 (1 ranks), Engineering +10 (1 ranks), Perception +4, Piloting +6 (1 ranks), Sleight Of Hand +3, Stealth +5
Feats Toughness
Languages Akitonian, Azlanti, Common, Triaxian, Vesk, Ysoki
Other Abilities artificial intelligence, bypass, cheek pouches, moxie, theme knowledge
Other Gear flight suit stationwear, azimuth laser pistol with 1 battery (20 charges), credstick (555 credits); Augmentations custom rig

AEPRE (Drone)
Stealth drone
N Small construct (technological)
Perception +0
--------------------
Defense HP 10
--------------------
EAC 12; KAC 14
Fort +0; Ref +4; Will +0
--------------------
Offense
--------------------
Speed 40 ft., climb 20 ft.
--------------------
Statistics
--------------------
Str 12 (+1); Dex 14 (+2); Con —; Int 6 (-2); Wis 10 (+0); Cha 6 (-2)
Skills Athletics +1 (+9 when climbing), Computers +2 (1 ranks), Stealth +6 (+16 after remaining stationary for 1 round, lost if takes action)
Feats Mobility
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper

Postby Zen » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:57 am

BTW... one of my friends who I mentioned this game to suggested we might want to try Discord instead of Messenger. I've used it for a few things and it is a pretty reliable and less invasive program in terms of privacy and such. Just a suggestion if anybody has issues with facebook creeping on their data.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:22 am

Captain Zee
Ungendered ryphorian (transitional) envoy 1
NG Medium humanoid (ryphorian)
Init +0; Senses low-light vision; keen senses Perception +10
--------------------
Defense SP 7 HP 10 RP 3
--------------------
EAC 10; KAC 11
Fort +3; Ref +3; Will +4
Special fire and cold resistance 2
--------------------
Offense
--------------------
Speed 30 ft.
Ranged azimuth laser pistol +0 (1d4 F; burn 1d4)
--------------------
Statistics
--------------------
Str 8 (-1); Dex 10 (+0); Con 12 (+1); Int 14 (+2); Wis 14 (+2); Cha 15 (+2)
Skills
Acrobatics +5 (1 rank)
Bluff +6 (1 rank)
Computers +6 (1 rank)
Culture +6 (1 rank)
Diplomacy +6 (1 rank)
Perception +10 (1 rank)
Physical Sci +6 (1 rank, reduce DC by 5 to recall knowledge about strange new worlds or features of space)
Sense Motive +8 (1 rank)
Sleight of Hand +4 (1 rank)
Stealth +4 (1 rank)
Feats skill synergy (sense motive and perception); great fortitude
Languages Common, Triaxian, Draconic, Eoxian
Other Abilities expertise/skill expertise (+1d6 to sense motive and diplomacy); look alive (after spending 1 RP to regain stamina, all allies get +2 perception and init for 1 hour or until next rest)
Other Gear flight suit stationwear, azimuth laser pistol with 1 battery (20 charges), credstick (555 credits)
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:47 am

Autumn Dawn, Tier 2
Medium transport

Speed 8; Maneuverability average (turn 2); Hyperspace 1; AC 14; TL 11
HP 70; DT —; CT 14
Shields basic 20 (forward 5, port 5, starboard 5, aft 5)
Attack (Turret) light laser cannon (2d4)
Attack (Turret) coilgun (4d4)
Power Core Arcus Heavy (130 PCU); Hyperspace Engine Signal Basic; Systems basic computer, budget mid-range sensors, crew quarters (good), mk 3 armor, mk 1 defenses; Expansion Bays cargo holds (2), medical bay; guest quarters (good); hydroponics garden
Modifiers none; Complement 6
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:56 am

Updated ship stats. Miscalculated on the number of expansion bays available, so I had to eliminate the workout room. But I spent the extra point to get us better conventional thrusters and make us surprisingly speedy for a transport vessel.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:08 pm

So how do you actually do this, like is there a location to read it?
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:10 pm

If you are talking about reading the actual story and discussion, then go to your Facebook Messenger. I saw that Dave added you to both groups.
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:50 pm

Queequeg:

And him wielding his shocking truncheon on the guard:

Return to “The Gaming Table”