Race in RPGs

Roleplaying games, video games, board games, card games, ANY games! Bring it all to the Gaming Table.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Race in RPGs

Postby Tahlvin » Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:08 pm

Saw an interesting challenge online today, credit to GabeJamesGames on Twitter: Whenever referring to fantasy "races", say "origin" instead.

"What origin are they?"
"Oh, they're elven origin!"

"It looks like they might be of half orcish origin."

"I feel like there's a mix of human and angelic origins in them."

Imma give it a try!
Wash: "This is gonna get pretty interesting."
Mal: "Define interesting."
Wash: "Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die?"
Mike
Boy of Summer

Re: Race in RPGs

Postby Mike » Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:17 pm

PF2 eliminated the word race and substituted heritage instead. It is a hard habit to break, but I like it.
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
DMDarcs
No-Life Loser

Postby DMDarcs » Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:28 pm

I was engaged in a foot heritage with a quickling. I threw a net at him, which slowed him down. I eventually caught up to him, my heart was still heritaging when I got to him.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:56 pm

See how much better that is?
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:23 am

I do love this - they're not races. And the extra benefits! My grandpa used to take me to see the horse origins. On an especially muddy day we would be standing there close enough to be hit with the spray from those origins. It was magical.
Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Postby Eliahad » Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:36 am

There's an ancestry strip just up the road, not too far from Red Rocks. They have drag ancestries most weekends, or at least they did, until COVID put a stop to the drag ancestry-ing. There were huge dragsters, and loud! But the ancestries were so short, over in just a few seconds. But for the whole of that ancestry, the people were on their feet.
"What are you going to do?"
"I'm going to roll an 8."
Stan
Ninja Carpenter

Postby Stan » Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:18 am

akiva
Melancholy Camper

Postby akiva » Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:56 am

Some of these comments remind of the old Dragon Magazine cartoon about visiting TSR. The legal department said the company was in trouble with a certain British gentleman's estate, so don't use "ring." Say "the phone is circular-metal-banding!"
Reel on a repeating loop
DMDarcs
No-Life Loser

Postby DMDarcs » Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:57 pm

I don't remember the terminology, but I do remember seeing something for a 5E product, though I'm not sure if it was official. It divided racial traits into two different groups - genetic(?) and cultural. So you could have a dwarf who would have darkvision and poison resistance from his genetic heritage, but maybe was raised by elves and so had the bonuses to spellcasting. It was certainly a workable concept from the brief blurb I read.

Return to “The Gaming Table”