Eleven

Home of DMDarcs's Roll20-based Rise of the Runelords Pathfinder game.
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Eleven

Postby Zen » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:59 am

"The lines between kindness, apathy, and thickheadedness can be very thin." - Nakatani Nio Sensei
“The direction of escape is toward freedom. So what is ‘escapism’ an accusation of?” - Ursula K. Le Guin
Eliahad
Mr. 3025
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Eliahad » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:06 am

(ooc: I love that this adventure path, IMHO, was designed to make us fall in love with Sandpoint...and what do we do? We fall in love with Thistletop.)
"What are you going to do?"
"I'm going to roll an 8."
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:35 am

LOL, yes that is perfect Dothan. Dwyn is too convinced we're all going to die down here, now that we have met some opponents who could easily have killed us with one blow if we weren't lucky, to plan much for the future. But of course, she still dreams of going back to Fort Rannick, possibly getting married and settling there for a while, as she feels some call to assist the priest of Erastil and people of Turtleback Ferry, and make sure the chapel in the Fort is purified, reinhabited, and that the Fort is operational. It seems important for protecting the whole of the lowland plains between the Fort and Sandpoint/Magnimar, really. And a nice bonus would be if the Stone Giants were able to head back to that area - she has the notion that Gunrus went somewhere in the vicinity to restart his life, and that the mountain with mines wasn't far from where the Stone Giants had made a home once, before interference from Lamias and god knows what.

I thought our community-building in Thistletop was a great success - it was the murderous giants who ruined everything.

Anyway, her long range plan, after dying down here is either accomplished or avoided, is to marry her boyfriend and settle the Fort.
Mrs.Darcs
This. Is. SPARTA!

Postby Mrs.Darcs » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:42 pm

Hi I'm alive and will be taking another level in Exulted and I think I get another Boon at this level and I think it's a physical manifestation, I gotta look it up. See you guys tonight!
Power and Ripp forever

RIP Sam and Thor forever!
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper

Postby Zen » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:16 am

"The lines between kindness, apathy, and thickheadedness can be very thin." - Nakatani Nio Sensei
“The direction of escape is toward freedom. So what is ‘escapism’ an accusation of?” - Ursula K. Le Guin
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:39 am

Okay, radical re-think on how Eldthor will be advancing, thanks to a feat I found.

I ended up taking as my 11th level feat. This combines my druid and ranger levels in terms of wild shape ability (which is the main reason I was taking druid) and favored enemy. This increases the number of times per day I can wild shape from 1/day to 4/day. It also means I add a 3rd favored enemy and improve the bonus for an existing favored enemy. So I get to increase my favored enemy bonus from +4 to +6 for giants, which will be helpful in our current adventure. For the 3rd favored enemy, I took monstrous humanoids, which should be helpful if we run into any more lamias. Any ideas or suggestions on whether I should switch that to something else? This also means that from now on, I'll be taking all of my new levels in ranger, rather than taking 1 druid level for every 2 ranger levels. This will give me higher HPs and improve my combat abilities, particularly my ranged combat abilities. And I'll reach a max of wild shape 8/day, rather than 3/day I was going to reach in my prior advancement scheme. I'll lose some druid spell capabilities, but Anna and Sam more than make up for that, and we need the ranged combat abilities more.

Question for DMDarcs: The feat description only mentions the number of times per day I can wild shape. What about the other level-dependent features of wild shape, such as the ability to transform into Large or Tiny animals, or elementals, etc.? At 11th level, I'd be able to turn into a diminutive animal 4/day, which would sure make it a bit easier to scout ahead in these caverns we're in. ;)

Other feats I considered:
- Decrease range penalty for long ranges. However, most of our ranged combat has not been past the first range increment.

- Threaten foes within 5 feet with a ranged weapon, opens up a related feat tree. This is probably next on my list of feats to take.

- Allows multiple shots in a single round to be stacked and the damage totaled before applying damage reduction. So for this golem we're facing, if I fire three arrows at him per round and they all hit, he only gets DR on one of the arrows. This is high on my wish list, but after snap shot.

Now that I'm focusing on just ranger levels, and I get the combat feats more often, I should be able to pick up more of these types of feats.
Wash: "This is gonna get pretty interesting."
Mal: "Define interesting."
Wash: "Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die?"
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper

Postby Zen » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:47 am

Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:52 am

Not even kidding here. Song is now +3/+3, and if your attack lands within 30 feet of Dothan, you add +1d6 sonic damage.

Also... if time is not a factor, don't perform important skill checks without checking with me. I'm offering a +4 morale boost on skill checks now with Inspire Competence.
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper

Postby Zen » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:43 pm

Oh, yeah... I could also take

Whirlwind Attack (Combat)
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:16 pm

Just my 2 coppers...

[EDIT]I started off every one of these entries with, "That's cool," or, "That's really useful." I've taken them all out. Let's assume that I like all of them for different reasons. Here's my additional comments on each:

Eldritch Heritage: Adding another bloodline seems... weird.

Greater Feint: If I'm reading it right, you make a successful feint on your move, and it A) reduces their AC most of the time and B) it allows Sneak Attack. That's really shiny. Worth giving up your full-attack action for in a round. This one would be a top contender for me if I were Kay.

Blind-Fight: Probably wouldn't come up as much as you'd want.

Combat Reflexes: How often have you had a chance at more than one AoO in a round and been upset that you only got one?

Team Up: At the start of each round, Kay has a choice: Do I take two attacks, or do I just take one and try to grant a +2 bonus to Dwyn (or Hal or Illian or whoever)? Is your second attack in the round worth giving someone else a +2? That is, is 10% of Dwyn's damage worth an entire attack from Kay? However, it would come in handy on any round that you were A) engaged in melee, B) planning on using magic, and C) not planning on moving otherwise. Don't know how often that is, but it's when it would work best.

Sorcerous Bloodstrike: How often is Kay the final blow to an opponent? If it averages out to once a day on days we actually fight... then okay. If it's less than that, then I don't know. Your bloodline powers are pretty cool though, after all.

Whirlwind Attack: I'm torn on this one. I like Whirlwind attack SOOOOO much. It's super-cool, and it really is so Kay. Honestly, Whirlwind Attack just screams 'Kay'. I just can't think of how often Kay has more than one opponent within reach. I feel like it wouldn't come up as much as you like, but when it did... it would be amazing.

Again, I'm leaning towards Greater Feint, but Whirlwind Attack is a close second in my book.
Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Postby Eliahad » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:50 pm

Blades Above and Below might be less useful for us than I thought. That "one teammate must be the same size as the opponent" has not been a factor we've experienced lately, and it might not be as useful. Dwyn, what say you? (And anyone else.)

Critical Focus might be more useful. It would be a +4 on threat confirmation of critical attacks....And since statistically I'm likely to get one threat per round, that might be more worth it...It also opens up all sorts of other kinds of results from critical hits...

Uh, oh, and I can now make an attack with my off hand as a standard action, so I can make two attacks as I get into place instead of just one. Yay!
"What are you going to do?"
"I'm going to roll an 8."
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:04 pm

Wow. Do that!

Seriously, Illian's real paycheck is in crits, and since he can't always count on them to be sleeping and helpless, crit focus makes a lot of sense.
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper

Postby Zen » Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:34 pm

DMDarcs
No-Life Loser

Postby DMDarcs » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:29 pm

DMDarcs
No-Life Loser

Postby DMDarcs » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:31 pm

Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper

Postby Zen » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:20 pm

Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:23 pm

I really wanted to follow that line with Mobility to Spring Attack and Whirlwind Attack myself. Who knows. Maybe later. But for now I'm just letting the winds guide me as the character experiences things, and her experiences have been almost universally negative with evil spellcasters, some of whom can slip away through their magic. And then she made some progress on being disruptive to them, and now (assuming Eli has decided against Blades Above and Below due to the size problem) she's going to try to be a Spellbreaker and Teleport Tactician. I don't know how often we will even face the kind of nasty spellcaster who wants to flee from us rather than fight us to the death, but after the Lamias and some other experiences, this is what Dwyn dislikes the most and feels most divinely inspired to resist, so there it is. Thoughts? Advice against? Always particularly appreciated.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:32 pm

Dwyn gets 2 feats this level?

One can just be Greater Weapon Focus for another +1 to hit with Lucille. It's not sexy, but it's solid.

Other than that I'm not sure. I got distracted by Penetrating Strike, but you can't take that for another 2 levels.
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:19 am

Wash: "This is gonna get pretty interesting."
Mal: "Define interesting."
Wash: "Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die?"
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper

Postby Zen » Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:54 pm

You last longer than I do... I finish pretty fast!

(Perhaps the rate that the larger forms come in and the duration needs to be rethought? Comparing it to Druids it is pretty lame... But there is the whirlwind thing that is added on... but I guess that's just part of Elemental Body I...)

Return to “Runelords”