Eleven

Home of DMDarcs's Roll20-based Rise of the Runelords Pathfinder game.
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Eleven

Postby Zen » Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:31 pm

"The lines between kindness, apathy, and thickheadedness can be very thin." - Nakatani Nio Sensei
“The direction of escape is toward freedom. So what is ‘escapism’ an accusation of?” - Ursula K. Le Guin
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Tahlvin » Sat Apr 08, 2017 3:35 pm

There were some interesting musings on the Shapeshifting Hunter feat online. The big suggestion was about taking a druid up to 19th level, then adding 1 level of ranger and taking this feat. You're not giving up much (1 8th level & 1 9th level spell, and unlimited wildshape/day, although you would still have wildshape 8 times/day for 19 hours each time). In exchange, you would get 20 levels (!!!) worth of favored enemy bonuses from the ranger class. Of course, you wouldn't wait until level 20 to take that ranger level; you'd probably take it pretty early on, so you'd get to leverage the favored enemy bonus as you progress. But still, it's an interesting dual-class type of feat.
Wash: "This is gonna get pretty interesting."
Mal: "Define interesting."
Wash: "Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die?"
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:43 pm

I'm a little jealous of everyone else who doesn't have a set career path here. Sure you all have a general direction, but the specifics of even what class levels you might take shift and vary as experience drives us.

I mean, I wouldn't trade Dothan for anything, but she's different. The vision I've had for her future hasn't really wavered since about third level, and her feat and spell selections are secondary to advancing her skills and class abilities.

Just different.
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
bralbovsky
Twisted Sister

Postby bralbovsky » Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:27 pm

So, continuing in Paladin, sort of plateau, but another smite, spell level,(found a spell I like )
Angelic Aspect not listed as a choice in yapcg

Suggest feat? penciled in disarming strike
feat choices are pretty dissipated so far, not enough focus to really ramp up any particular strength. That's sort of been an issue from the beginning, because I chose paladin to half cover healing and half combat, and that's been a good niche so far.
We're getting into a league, though that calls for some more impact than even the solid damage that Hal has been dishing out. If he survives to upgrade gear, the tanking will get stronger, and then I'll have to try to figure out how he can continue to carry his weight damage wise.
"Before enlightenment, you chop the wood and carry the water.
After enlightenment, you chop the wood and carry the water."
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper

Postby Zen » Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:11 pm

"The lines between kindness, apathy, and thickheadedness can be very thin." - Nakatani Nio Sensei
“The direction of escape is toward freedom. So what is ‘escapism’ an accusation of?” - Ursula K. Le Guin
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:43 pm

I've been using Hero Lab for my Pathfinder characters. It's not free, but darn, it's good. And there's a way you can import your character from Hero Lab into Roll20, although you have to do a little tweaking on the Roll20 character sheet when you're done (it doesn't seem to add up HP or some other level-based things correctly for multi-class characters). But pretty much all Pathfinder stuff on d20pfsrd is available in Hero Lab, and it's somewhat easy to copy and customize things, if you build a custom feat or spell or somesuch.
Wash: "This is gonna get pretty interesting."
Mal: "Define interesting."
Wash: "Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die?"
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper

Postby Zen » Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:44 pm

I downloaded Hero Lab when I was looking at doing Sia Konar for Andrew's game, but it didn't seem to have Skinwalkers in the free demo, so I didn't want to risk that I was going to pay for something that I couldn't use. (My spreadsheet didn't have them either...) yapcg had them... That's why I started playing with it. It isn't perfect. I haven't found where to put in things like Energy Resistance and Damage Resistance, other than just typing it on the front page of the character sheet, even though it should be something I can update automatically by class level for my bloodline. (And, if I had the Stormborn line that it was based on, it would be part of the 3rd level Bloodline power, so I copied the same text from that into the first level bloodline power to try to get it to work... It didn't...) So I just typed it into the box. It isn't like it actually changes stats like things that impact saves, like the medallion or my snakeskin shirt with DEX... I think I have Kay just about ready... I haven't chosen my final spell though...

(Any word on that one I mentioned earlier, Pat?)
bralbovsky
Twisted Sister

Postby bralbovsky » Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:17 pm

Note on hero lab. Bought it a while ago, never worked properly, maybe operator error, but both tech support and I gave up. Missing pieces that I had wanted, had to add all sorts of tweaks, asked for a refund, relationship over, still friends.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:53 am

I changed my mind. Maybe. There is too much other good stuff, but I have questions.

Like spell breaker... What is defensive casting? That sounds like a very specific circumstance.

What about Mobility and Combat Patrol? If I threaten anything in a 15 ft range with an aoo, do I potentially have to move 5 ft to hit, and does that in turn open me to aoos? Or do we just assume I can hit that far without moving, or does the feat basically mean you move to do this without causing aoos?

Bodyguard... Would we use it?
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper

Postby Zen » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:26 am

Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:50 am

Ok, I like your advice. I may not be able to reach to bodyguard this time around, but could start building up that path. Or level 10 might allow a feat reassign. I'd also like something that works on damage resistance, since at these higher levels we may face critters with it more often. Or that could be something to solve on the weaponry side.
bralbovsky
Twisted Sister

Postby bralbovsky » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:59 pm

So, another possibility is Unsanctioned knowledge

Inquisitor spells?
True Strike, basically guaranteed hit first attack (Which makes smite handy)
Spiritual Weapon
idk what else. So many of them are standard actions instead of swift.
Thoughts?
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:01 pm

Reminder to self: I need to figure this out soon! It's going to be a crazy week and Thursday a very poor night for gaming, btw. I won't get home until after we start, I'll be running on fumes by that point and then having to get up at 6:15 the next day ready for the fight. I might lodge a move with Darcs beforehand, so I don't hold you up in that battle with the stony creature who had better be Big M and instead appears not to be Big M, much to my chagrin and disbelief. What is he doing in this magic circle of damaging red fumes if he's not Big M? We are all going to die down here though maybe level 11 will help.

Anyway, point is, I need two feats and am having a TERRIBLE time choosing now that I decided spellbreaker and teleport tactician are kinda dumb. INDECISION is terrible.
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper

Postby Zen » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:12 am

bralbovsky
Twisted Sister

Postby bralbovsky » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:26 am

I think I'm going with the disarming strike. Hal's bonus is solid already, and it means I won't waste a damage round looking to disarm unless we're really afraid of a specific weapon.
Also it occurs to me if Hal can't seriously hit, one shot isn't going to save us. By the time we discover it, we'll be too deep in, and the move will be to have everyone else flee. If I wait till next feat, the critical disarm will already be there, and maybe on first strike, which is when true strike is most useful, he'll get the +20, the disarm as well as the amped smite damage doubled. At that rate it begins to be dwyn level damage per round, which will come in handy if this is not the last encounter of the adventure. (Things can only get worse)
DMDarcs
No-Life Loser

Postby DMDarcs » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:24 pm

Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:35 pm

Here's what I'm thinking: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-fe ... rd-combat/

But how does this work? I take it I give up one of my two total AOOs in a round, and roll to try to add some bonus to AC for my neighbor being attacked? Usually that means Hal, Kay, Illian, etc. This seems like it would come into play constantly for Hal. But what does it actually DO? I'm not quite following.

I would add Combat Patrol too, except that I'm not sure it's a good idea to extend my reach another 5 feet, and then have to move over closer to the critter I want to do the AOO upon, and then be subject to an AOO from them too. What's the point of that?

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-fe ... l-combat-/
I assume this means that Lucille goes from a 20 crit to a 19 OR 20 crit?
And then Critical Focus would mean that if I rolled a 20, a crit-confirming roll would be anything from 17-20?
Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Postby Eliahad » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:10 pm

I just took critical focus, it means that on your roll to confirm (which just has to beat the opponent's AC) you get a +4 to that roll.
"What are you going to do?"
"I'm going to roll an 8."
El Jefe
Cleric Thief

Postby El Jefe » Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:36 pm

The PA Fat Dutchman Mk II
"Amish Shoo-Fly Pie Boogaloo"
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:33 pm

Thank you, that is really helpful for weighing the pros and cons.

Return to “Runelords”