June 1 Recap

Home of DMDarcs's Roll20-based Rise of the Runelords Pathfinder game.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Bluedevyl
Five to Lifer
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1236: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

June 1 Recap

Postby Bluedevyl » Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:03 pm

Hey everybody,

In case you weren't able to be with us on Thursday, here's a brief rundown of what we did and found out:

We cast a Sending to Conna, who told us that she would be able to slip away and join us in a few hours, leading us to believe that, despite Mokmurian's defeat, things were still progressing in the floors above.

Conna joined us, and we first asked her for her wishes as far as the disposition of Mokmurian's remains. She said that he did not warrant the traditional burial rites of their people, so that we should burn his body and spread his ashes somewhere and tell no one where they were spread. She did ask us, however, to retain his head, as it might prove useful in dispersing the giants encamped outside.

She also told us that while she believed many of his followers would listen to her and would follow her lead in her son's absence, there remained forces loyal to him in the levels above that would need to be dealt with before she could present herself at the meeting of the clans at noon the following day.

We all rested, and then began to progress back through the fortress. First off, we used the medallion that was around Mokmurian's neck to open the locked door outside of his lair. Inside we discovered a beautifully appointed library attended by a clockwork construct that addressed us in Thassilonian and asked us what works we would like to see. We requisitioned several tomes, but realizing that time was an issue, informed the attendant that we would return shortly.

We believe that it is in the early morning at this point, and that we have roughly 3 to 4 hours to defeat Mokmurian's lieutenants before Conna can attempt to convince the remaining giants to leave this land and never return. She told us that there are 2 lamia priestesses who worship Lammashtu in the level above, and a cruel giant who held to Mokmurian's ways that would need to be dispatched. Also, of note, the lamiae have red dragons in attendance that are roughly the size of the one who attacked Sandpoint. It is unclear at this juncture whether or not the dragon that attacked Sandpoint is one of the two who attend the lamiae.

We agreed that we should try to remove the giant lieutenant first, as he was more likely to be alone. We traversed back through the lower level of Jorgenfist and found a set of stone doors that we could not open. Anna used one of the new spells at our disposal, Passwall, to make a tunnel through them. We found a large room with a loose dirt floor and 6 (or 8) posts in it that reached from floor to ceiling. Attached to each post was a chained, dead, goblin, all of whom seem to have been branded with an iron that we found in the room. The only other adornment in the room was a large Sihedron star on the north wall and another on the floor. Dwyn dragged Lucille through the star on the floor, and an enormous, rune-covered giant emerged from beneath in response.

We ended there, ready to engage said giant, before we attack the lamiae and their attendants.

Hope this was helpful! See you all in 2 weeks!
Last edited by Bluedevyl on Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Re: June 1 Recap

Postby Phoebe » Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:10 pm

All the points for using the word "lamiae".

I was so pleased with the dramatic way the scene unfolded... While y'all were geeking out over books and such, Dwyn has been sitting around seething about the fact that the sihedron is in fact (in her opinion, though perhaps not in reality) a sure sign of evil. So when we saw that big one on the floor she wanted to mess with it like a kid kicking angrily in the dirt, and she was just about to march over to the far wall and slam her hammer into the star image there, too, until giant minion appeared!
Bluedevyl
Five to Lifer

Postby Bluedevyl » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:12 pm

I have no idea if that's the correct pluralization of "lamia", but it seemed right :)
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:23 pm

Well, lamia is Greek so maybe technically it's lamiai, but imo that works fine in English as lamiae.
Mike
Boy of Summer

Postby Mike » Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:37 pm

Lamiopodes?
All I know is my food tastes better when I take my food-tastes-better pill.
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:57 pm

That's their feet right I want to have those from my feet I want slippers that are lamia slippers. Well you can see what's happening here and we've resorted to voice to text and it's not going very well. This is the people are very tired and they can't be bothered to type with their thumbs.
bralbovsky
Twisted Sister

Postby bralbovsky » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:36 am

So sorry I missed, I thought we moved to the 8th.

While our experience with the sihedron has been negative, am I incorrect in recalling that there were balanced runelords?

Next time we go to the library, someone please remind me to ask whether they had special martial knowledge as well as special magical knowledge.

If we're going to display, show, whatever with the head, it's my suggestion that unless whomever is taking responsibility for it is enlarged, we make some logistical arrangements so we can fight one group at a time. Being giant-sized might make the situation more palatable, go smoother, but isn't entirely honest.(It also takes a capacity for abstraction for giants to understand that this wasn't single combat, so whether they are capable of understanding how this really went down, I'm not certain.)

At any rate, the viewing shouldn't probably be at the top of the tower, but somewhere we can communicate possibly, and get real assurances of the dissolution of this mess, and somewhere that if it goes south, we can isolate each clan, as they decide to depart or fight.
"Before enlightenment, you chop the wood and carry the water.
After enlightenment, you chop the wood and carry the water."
Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:13 pm

I recall some talk in the past about the symbol being neutral, but from Dwyn's perspective, every bad thing we encounter is flashing this sign as blatantly as possible, and now there's some idea (from when we were defeating M) that tattooing people with it and spreading around could be an active mechanism for giving powers to the dark side. So she's just bent on destroying any manifestations of it, especially now that a second major instance of Sihedron-tattooers directly opposed to church of Erastil has occurred. Eventually someone will have to talk her down regarding the amulets and such, like Kay's or whatever we were using to keep the bodies fresh back in Sandpoint. Brrr, the very idea of that alone upsets Miss Natural Life Cycle.
Bluedevyl
Five to Lifer

Postby Bluedevyl » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:32 pm

Phoebe
Canned Helsing

Postby Phoebe » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:40 pm

It was a needed bridge session that let us know more about what was going on down here and what to do next, and gave the book readers some important things to consider re: library checkouts, but the timing worked well because we didn't engage any enemies without Illian and Hal. Should fit in seamlessly once we have you two back.

And may I add, we need all fighting forces next time because we are facing a thing that just happens to be 9 squares big.
Eliahad
Mr. 3025

Postby Eliahad » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:47 pm

When will the next time be? Sounds like this last session was a blast!
"What are you going to do?"
"I'm going to roll an 8."
Bluedevyl
Five to Lifer

Postby Bluedevyl » Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:10 pm

Its not clear to me. When we finished up on the 1st, Pat said that he'd see us in two weeks, but since we were planning on playing on the 8th, maybe this Thursday and then 2 weeks from then? Let me know what you all think.
Zen
Squirrel Nut Zipper

Postby Zen » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:48 am

I'm flexible. The 8th or 15th both work for me.
"The lines between kindness, apathy, and thickheadedness can be very thin." - Nakatani Nio Sensei
“The direction of escape is toward freedom. So what is ‘escapism’ an accusation of?” - Ursula K. Le Guin
Tahlvin
Scottish Joker

Postby Tahlvin » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:58 am

Either works for me as well. It's DMDarcs' call, since I think his alternating weekly schedule may drive whether or not we can shift.
Wash: "This is gonna get pretty interesting."
Mal: "Define interesting."
Wash: "Oh, God, oh, God, we're all gonna die?"
DMDarcs
No-Life Loser

Postby DMDarcs » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:33 pm

I really don't think I can handle the 8th. On the 9th I have to supervise a 4 hour rehearsal after the normal work day, then make a 4 1/2 hour drive to Gettysburg. I'd rather not do that on 4 hours of sleep.

Let's plan on the 15th. After that, I'm open to scheduling discussions.

Return to “Runelords”